Sam Young and the church on CNN

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

Sam Young and the church on CNN

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:25 pm

I'm betting that some public relations officers are very uncomfortable this evening...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/24/us/mormo ... index.html

IT_Veteran

Re: Sam Young and the church on CNN

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:42 am

Love the article. Not only is it "tier 1 media coverage" as Sam said, but it's the best article I've seen explaining the situation to members and non-members alike.

I sure hope there are some uncomfortable PR people at the COB. It will be interesting to see if and how they respond, at all, to this latest coverage. Once things start hurting their missionary efforts they'll address it. Right?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:57 am

LDS church discipline has only one giant hammer as the final tool to fix problems. They are now out of tools and this guy looks like he will be sticking around pursuing his cause. Ths should be entertaining.

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:45 am

Oh, that was a great article! Thanks for posting it! I don't feel free enough to share it with family just yet... Maybe I'll get up the nerve?
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm

That article is extremely thorough. Really well done. I wonder what Sam’s next move is?
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

ThirdTier

Post by ThirdTier » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:26 am

It’s really hard to bring this up without sounding like you’re being critical of bishops in general and attacking that bishop who does things by the book and genuinely wants to just teach and serve. Everyone I’ve attempted conversation with about it gets very defensive because they’re thinking of their kind, selfless bishop who helped them through a tough time. Then you have the other side where there are actually exmos making sweeping generalizations and unjustified exaggerations. They come across as people jumping on board because they like seeing the church embarrassed.

So I think the article was thoughtful and helpful explaining the “no one on one; no sexually explicit questions” message and the sequence of events leading to the strike and excommunication. You see Sams tone accurately portrayed - and can see it as justified.
"I wish I was special" Radiohead, Creep

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am

stealthbishop wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm
That article is extremely thorough. Really well done. I wonder what Sam’s next move is?
Just saw a FB post from him the other day that he was being interviewed for "This American Life". Contrary to what the church had hoped, I don't think this one is going to just go away yet.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am
stealthbishop wrote:
Just saw a FB post from him the other day that he was being interviewed for "This American Life". Contrary to what the church had hoped, I don't think this one is going to just go away yet.
I hope not. That is my fear, that after all of Sam's work and all he sacrificed everyone just gives up and moves on. Kind of like the Ordain Women movement - it just kind of faded away, and women are still stuck being second-class members. I think the Church counts on dissenting members just giving up and moving on after a while, and I am afraid that may be what happens here.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

alas

Post by alas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am
IT_Veteran wrote:
stealthbishop wrote:
I hope not. That is my fear, that after all of Sam's work and all he sacrificed everyone just gives up and moves on. Kind of like the Ordain Women movement - it just kind of faded away, and women are still stuck being second-class members. I think the Church counts on dissenting members just giving up and moving on after a while, and I am afraid that may be what happens here.
My fear too. The church has succeeded in silencing dissenting member in the past by excommunicating the ring leaders, and the followers either decide to be loyal to the church and stop being “apostate” or they just go silent out of fear or discouragement. It happened with Sonia Johnson, it happened with the September 6, and it happened with Ordain Women. Not only did the ordain Women movement go silent, but all of Mormon Feminism seems to have died with it. Of course, I can’t blame those excommunicated ring leaders for moving on with life outside of Mormonism. But, changing leaders as OW did just doesn’t seem to work. So, I am hoping that Sam keeps up with protests and pressure.

lostintime

Post by lostintime » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
stealthbishop wrote:
That would be awesome. My wife loves This American Life. If she listened to an Episode on Sam Young, I think that would go a long way. She's a very progressive member, but she intentionally insulates herself from the negative aspects of the church. I don't think she could resist something like this, however. Here's hoping.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s coming. The post was a picture of him with the guy at the local NPR affiliate prepping for the interview.