Just say no!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Newme

Just say no!

Post by Newme » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:53 am

As a youth, I was often told to “just say no” to bad things and better yet, to not even put yourself in situations where you would be tempted to subject yourself to negative influences.

Normally, I’ve been going to church and plan to (at least part-time) while we’re raising our kids. But today, I knew 2 people would be speaking who have been negative influences for me and my children and decided to “just say no.” Each of these people have some good - but each time I sat through their punitive hypocrisy lectures, I was negatively influenced and won’t even put myself in the situation again.

Church attendance does not equate righteousness. The church does offer good but it also offers evil. Thus, there are times to “just say no” and this is one of those times.

That said, I do feel the need to replace voids when I reject dysfunctional aspects of church. Church is not necessarily spirituality - and sometimes even counter to it, but it generally is a reminder of spiritual goals and progress. I feel the need to become more familiar with meditation, symbolism and other existential means to discovering truth.

Anon70

Re: Just say no!

Post by Anon70 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:44 am

Growing up my dad used to say, “church attendance does not equal righteousness. But Mormons think it does.” :)

I love that you own your Sunday choices and protect yourself and your family. Yay for boundaries!!!

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Newme wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:53 am

Church attendance does not equate righteousness. The church does offer good but it also offers evil. Thus, there are times to “just say no” and this is one of those times.
Perfect description of my position and contention that the church is a tree that has had branches of false doctrine grafted in among branches of true doctrine.

And those false doctrine branches produce bad fruit.

The problem is leadership will never figure out that Joseph was the one who grafted them in... :|

So it's a member's job to reject the bad. Sounds like you're doing a fine job of that. :)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 pm
Newme wrote:

Perfect description of my position and contention that the church is a tree that has had branches of false doctrine grafted in among branches of true doctrine.

The problem is leadership will never figure out that Joseph was the one who grafted them in... :|

So it's a member's job to reject the bad. Sounds like you're doing a fine job of that. :)
And every administration since JS's time has grafted in more bad branches. After so many years, we are seeing the crazy efforts to make this tree make sense. Staying home from church is a wonderful choice almost any week. On certain weeks, it is a necessity. Newme, I'm glad you made such a good choice. I'm sorry if that makes it sound like you're 8.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:44 am
Growing up my dad used to say, “church attendance does not equal righteousness. But Mormons think it does.” :)

I love that you own your Sunday choices and protect yourself and your family. Yay for boundaries!!!
Thanks.
In considering how to maintain my sanity, I’ve borrowed from the pledge of allegiance ending...“...with boundaries for all.” :) I’m grateful for some good friends, but few (or none) in my ward would still be my friends if I shared my religious beliefs with them. As I was pressured to, they also pledged their loyalty to the church and regularly promise not to affiliate with people who believe as I do. Thus, boundaries are good: superficial friendship is it.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Palerider wrote:
Newme wrote:

I like that analogy of the tree branches having some good and bad fruit.

It is the members’ job to reject the bad - except many have been subject to mind-control (information control, not criticizing leaders etc) their entire lives. Still, I think people who learn to think for themselves and not look blindly to authority, are those who truly grow up.

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Palerider wrote:
Newme wrote:

And every administration since JS's time has grafted in more bad branches. After so many years, we are seeing the crazy efforts to make this tree make sense. Staying home from church is a wonderful choice almost any week. On certain weeks, it is a necessity. Newme, I'm glad you made such a good choice. I'm sorry if that makes it sound like you're 8.
Thanks! You’re never too old to make good choices! :)
I have chosen this before (to skip church) but I saw it from a new perspective - that maybe it is to CTR. ;) ...At least in some cases and ways.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:04 am

In the book of Jacob, the prophet Zenos recommends digging about the roots and adding dung. I think the problem is that this tree has been overwhelmed with dung. What it really needs is a bit of chopping down and the planting of new seeds.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."