Not a public speaker or desire to be one

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mackman

Not a public speaker or desire to be one

Post by Mackman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:47 am

This goes out to all who are at least slightly introverted. I have never wanted to speak in church in fact I hate it !!! I am just not good at public speaking and I am good with that however it seems I always get asked to speak on topics I disagree with and it's more about speaking in public than the topic most of the time. Anybody else have this issue ? Hard to be in the church and avoid speaking !!!

wtfluff

Re: Not a public speaker or desire to be one

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 am

I'm definitely on the introverted side, and don't enjoy public speaking much. However, being born into LD$-Inc. forced me to get fairly good at it.

It could be that I just don't like talking about LD$-Inc. If you get me talking about something I'm truly interested in, I become annoying. :ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:49 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 am
I'm definitely on the introverted side, and don't enjoy public speaking much. However, being born into LD$-Inc. forced me to get fairly good at it.

It could be that I just don't like talking about LD$-Inc. If you get me talking about something I'm truly interested in, I become annoying. :ugeek:
Same here. An introvert living in an extrovert world....
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:15 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:49 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 am

Same here. An introvert living in an extrovert world....
I'm suddenly reminded of some public speaking advice I was given by a sibling once.

There are three parts to a great speech:
  1. A great beginning (a joke, something to break the ice.)
  2. A dynamic ending.
  3. Put parts 1 & 2 as close together as possible.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:50 pm

I hate public speaking so much that one Saturday in my teens I jumped off a rock that I thought was high enough to break my leg so I wouldn't have to speak in church the next day. I tried several times but only did enough damage to cause me to limp to the podium. What a knucklehead.

A few years ago I finally learned how to say no. After a couple of times they got the message and stopped asking.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Since my faith crisis 7-8 years ago, I just didn't feel comfortable praying or speaking or teaching. So I have tried to decline as much as possible. It would be kind of cool if you do have to talk to put kind of a nomish spin on things :D

græy

Post by græy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Our ward has struggled to find speakers while doing the hybrid in-person/online thing. I have already turned down speaking invitations at least three times because we will not attend until it is 100% safe to do so.

Unfortunately, I got my first vaccine shot recently and DW is hoping to return to in-person meetings after the upcoming GC. I am 110% certain both of us will be asked to speak within a matter of weeks of going back. I can find very little that I feel comfortable speaking about in terms of the gospel of Mormonism. When the invitation comes (and it will) I will have to twist the subject into something palatable. In any case, I don't want to do it and yet feel powerless to stop it without sending DW into hysterics.

I will return and report.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:11 pm

græy wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:14 pm
Our ward has struggled to find speakers while doing the hybrid in-person/online thing. I have already turned down speaking invitations at least three times because we will not attend until it is 100% safe to do so.

Unfortunately, I got my first vaccine shot recently and DW is hoping to return to in-person meetings after the upcoming GC. I am 110% certain both of us will be asked to speak within a matter of weeks of going back. I can find very little that I feel comfortable speaking about in terms of the gospel of Mormonism. When the invitation comes (and it will) I will have to twist the subject into something palatable. In any case, I don't want to do it and yet feel powerless to stop it without sending DW into hysterics.

I will return and report.
Doesn't your Bishopric do assigned topics? If you're free to speak about any Gospel topic, I'd grab that and run with it. Stick to Biblical topics and avoid all things particular to Mormon doctrine. (That is if you're comfortable with Biblical topics)

If not just take the Nancy Reagan approach and just say no. you don't owe anyone an explanation. They may think you do but the reality is you don't. Just say you prefer not to. That should be enough.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:01 pm

I was grateful for all the speaking experiences I received at Church as a young adult. It helped prepare me for debate and speaking events in college and elsewhere in life. I do know there is no directed correlation between being able to speak on your feet and introversion. Introverts are able to compartmentalize that portion of their life unless they also have glossophobia.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha