A New BYUtv Show will have LGBTQ+ Characters

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mormorrisey

A New BYUtv Show will have LGBTQ+ Characters

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Although I live in Eastern Canada, in the general vicinity of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), I'm not a huge reader of NOW magazine. They occasionally have some interesting articles, and I was directed to this one by a friend:

https://nowtoronto.com/movies/byutv-to- ... g-from-cbc

So a short summary. A BYUtv affiliate in Toronto, something called Marblemedia, wanted to jointly produce a show with the CBC which would contain LGBTQ+ characters in it. Of course BYUtv balked at this, as their audience "wouldn't be ready" to have LGBTQ+ characters in their shows. So the CBC threatened to kibosh the project if this was not allowed, and BYUtv could not use Canadian film credits for further shows. So apparently BYUtv caved, and now they will have a show with LGBTQ+ characters in it. What is interesting, is that the author of the piece reached out to BYUtv for comment, and one was not given at the time of writing. But I did some digging, and in a Yahoo UK article of all places, this is what BYUtv said about it:

"A spokesperson for BYUtv said in a statement: “As a young network committed to bringing together religious and non-religious audiences, BYUtv is learning and exploring ways to partner with diverse content creators, writers and talent to implement meaningful co-viewing experiences for our target audience (children 8-15 and their parents).

“While BYUtv has not referenced LGBTQ+ topics and characters in the five original scripted series it has aired to date, we desire to address subjects—including LGBTQ+—that are important to our growing and diverse audience.

“There are no policies that would exclude the network from including characters who identify as LGBTQ+, and BYUtv is exploring ways to do so.”

(The yahoo full story is here: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mormon-broadc ... CqFXn086uL)

So this is very interesting. Not unlike people of colour and the priesthood/temple ban, it looks like the church is being dragged kicking and screaming into the next century, notwithstanding the old conservative leadership. I will be very interested to see what the next 10-20 years will look like.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

A New Name

Re: A New BYUtv Show will have LGBTQ+ Characters

Post by A New Name » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:38 am

It is only a matter of time that a collage sports team will refuse to play BYU because of its LGTBQ policies. That will get national news, and other teams will follow. It happened with Wyoming and the Blacks/Priesthood ban in the 1970's, and look what happened with that!

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 am

So, interesting story on this story. I asked my friend if he was a huge fan of NOW magazine, and he said no. So I asked him how he found out about this story, and he said he saw it on Bill Reel's Facebook feed. Now I'm interested in how Bill Reel heard about it way down in St. George! I'm not sure if Bill still has a handle here at NOM 2.0, but I'd be very interested how he found out about it.

In any event, it will be interesting to see if this show actually makes it to air.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:57 am

Hmmm...guess these poor characters will have to be completely celibate - no dating, kissing, marriage, relationships of any kind with those they are attracted to. That isn't 1/100th as disturbing as the fact that is what the Church expects of real, living people.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 am

Let's be thankful the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation showed integrity and stood firm on this issue.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:10 am

I thought it was very telling that Stacey Harkey couldn't come out as gay until he left Studio C. Now he is openly out and dating (I follow his Insta & he's adorable).

News flash... most college aged kids are aware that gay people exist.