What happened with BYU prof. Sue Bergin?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

What happened with BYU prof. Sue Bergin?

Post by deacon blues » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:29 pm

BYU professor Sue Bergin is fired after 28 years. It appears she is a supporter of LGBT people. Is BYU instigating another crackdown?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Re: What happened with BYU prof. Sue Bergin?

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:47 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:29 pm
BYU professor Sue Bergin is fired after 28 years. It appears she is a supporter of LGBT people. Is BYU instigating another crackdown?
https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... -says-she/

Possibly she was caught in the musket fire of the Brethren's never-ending war against LGBTQ children of God.

Bergin also has a sign in her window saying, "Black Lives Matter" also putting her at odd with the Brethren.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:43 pm

BYU has always purged the progressives.

Hell, if Jesus Christ himself actually worked their he would be fired too. And not just for his beard and sandals.

This surprised me reading the article:
Even though adjunct positions typically don’t pay much, the rate was higher at BYU than at nearby public colleges, where she said she’d see about a 40% cut for a similar position.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:53 am

Absolutely disgusting. Where is the throw up emoji?

What a bunch of fools.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:14 am

Bergin said the school declined to give her a reason or tell her who made the decision.
Cowardice and obfuscation are the hallmarks of true religion, right?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:27 pm

Was she fired? Or was her contract not renewed, which is basically the same thing as being fired?
~2bizE

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:34 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:27 pm
Was she fired? Or was her contract not renewed, which is basically the same thing as being fired?
Says she was fired. No previous issues with students (teacher evaluations) or her yearly performance reviews from her supervisors. Just fired. A victim of musket fire.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Enough 2.0

Post by Enough 2.0 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:05 pm

I submitted an application to BYU for a professor position a couple of years ago. I withdrew the application, before review or interviews. A colleague of mine (long-time BYU professor) warned me that the Department I was applying for was clamping down on LGBTQ issuses. He was retiring, a little early, because the expectations for teaching and scholarship were becoming too difficult for a (more) liberal-minded professor. He knew that I wouldn’t last very long with the way things were going.

He was right. I withdrew my application and I’m glad. I’m now seeing the issues he was talking about, coming out in cases like Sue Bergen’s.