Anxiety and Depression

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
User avatar
stealthbishop
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by stealthbishop » Mon May 16, 2022 6:57 am

I think it is more rare for someone to NOT experience anxiety and depression when they go through a faith crisis/transition. I had to go on meds and get therapy over 10 years ago. My wife is currently doing so.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1355
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Just This Guy » Mon May 16, 2022 9:27 am

When DW and I left the church, We found the visiting the Cathedral of the Great Blue Dome was a great way to mentally recharge and feel better.

Something about blue sky, grass, and trees helps you to feel better. We would go to a local lake with the kids or a nature walk on a rail-trail, something like that.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
hallew
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by hallew » Wed May 18, 2022 6:22 am

stuck wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:23 am

Thanks for the info Hallew. Did you and your husband go through marriage therapy to help set boundaries?
No; back in February we had an argument where I clearly expressed my frustrations and that opened his eyes to what I was going through. He proposed that I give myself space from church and he wouldn’t pressure me to attend. He hadn't realized I was feeling pressured into attending by him. I haven’t really attended since late February and things seem to be going smoothly. However, if this changes and we do start to have conflict over it or boundary issues, then I will suggest seeing a couple’s therapist. My husband attends on Sundays and teaches a primary class, but he is not TBM. He just thinks that religion teaches good values. I think that’s why there hasn’t been a lot of drama. Also, he has seen how much I have suffered over the last few years and wants me to be a happy person again. I have been working on boundaries with my mom and people from church for about a year and a half. It started with little changes at first. Like I refused to teach any lessons in YW I felt uncomfortable with. Then when I was asked to give a talk I told the Bishopric member that there were certain topics I wouldn't speak about. I thought I could still attend if these boundaries were in place, but I realized it wasn't enough since I cried after church almost every Sunday. I knew then that I needed new boundaries and that was space from church in general.

stuck
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by stuck » Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:21 pm
Go to therapy with your wife.

Sister Ryder and I did 15 weeks and came out better able to communicate. We don’t always agree but we’ve learned to communicate and set our boundaries.

At the beginning of this faith transition mess, I was afraid we’d be divorced. Had little kids.

Now I’m afraid we won’t get divorced. Kids are nearly grown up.

You just have to like each other more that the church.

And follow 2 simple rules:

1. Never talk about church or any conflict after 9:00 PM
2. Never talk about church or any conflict while on vacation.

3. (Bonus). after 9:00 PM and while on vacation should be reserved for mending relationships if you know what I mean wink wink. Sans garments is best. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Good advice RR. How did you talk her into going to therapy with you? Also what are the Sans garments?

User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 3678
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 23, 2022 5:07 pm

Sans means “without”. Leave after 9:00 PM to relationship mending time aka without garments. Naked 🤣🤣

We sort of accidentally fell into couples therapy. We made an appointment with a therapist to discuss how to help one of our teenagers who was struggling.

We both expressed frustration and therapist asked if we thought we could benefit from couples therapy. We said yes. By the third session we were knee deep into my faith crisis causing her to feel betrayed. It went from there.

The thing is you don’t need to tip toe around it.

Just express your interest in going to couples therapy to help you learn to better communicate. No need to hang it up on a mixed faith marriage or any specific difference.

In reality, many problems really can be simplified down to the core issues around communication. If you can’t communicate, listen, and come together as a couple, problems turn into frustration, apathy, and distance. Those then lead to resentment which poisons the relationship.

Simply just ask her to go with you.
“I switched baristas” —Lady Gaga

Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 6150
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 23, 2022 6:50 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:27 am
When DW and I left the church, We found the visiting the Cathedral of the Great Blue Dome was a great way to mentally recharge and feel better.

Something about blue sky, grass, and trees helps you to feel better. We would go to a local lake with the kids or a nature walk on a rail-trail, something like that.
Amen and amen! And don't forget camping. Staring at a campfire for a few hours and then rediscovering the night sky away from city lights is wonderfully therapeutic.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by stuck » Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:09 pm
Read Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind.
Hagoth, is this the one about magic mushrooms? I know you have tried these in the past. Did you try them in that church started by an exmo? It is interesting. Tell us more if you can.

AtlanticMike1
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:51 am

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by AtlanticMike1 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:14 pm

stuck wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:21 pm
Go to therapy with your wife.

Sister Ryder and I did 15 weeks and came out better able to communicate. We don’t always agree but we’ve learned to communicate and set our boundaries.

At the beginning of this faith transition mess, I was afraid we’d be divorced. Had little kids.

Now I’m afraid we won’t get divorced. Kids are nearly grown up.

You just have to like each other more that the church.

And follow 2 simple rules:

1. Never talk about church or any conflict after 9:00 PM
2. Never talk about church or any conflict while on vacation.

3. (Bonus). after 9:00 PM and while on vacation should be reserved for mending relationships if you know what I mean wink wink. Sans garments is best. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Good advice RR. How did you talk her into going to therapy with you? Also what are the Sans garments?
Have you thought about surprising her with an activity you think she mighty enjoy, something you guys could strengthen your relationship with by spending time with each other learning the ends and outs of the new activity? Something that has absolutely nothing to do with church, something you and her have never done or thought of doing. A few years back my wife and I started playing golf together and eventually started playing in golf leagues against other teams. No Mormons, mainly Christians and atheist on the course. We were the only ones on the course that were sober🤣. It really strengthened our relationship. For a couple of years we also became really addicted to kayaking, we were obsessed, until a water moccasin slithered into my wife's kayak.

Basically, maybe find an activity you both enjoy, become obsessed about it, make that activity your therapy and while enjoying that time together maybe make a rule that you guys never talk about church or family during that time. If you can find a way to replace the negative time you guys spend together with positive time, doesn't matter what you're doing, the better your relationship will be.

stuck
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by stuck » Tue May 24, 2022 1:39 pm

AtlanticMike1 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:14 pm
stuck wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:40 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:21 pm
Go to therapy with your wife.

Sister Ryder and I did 15 weeks and came out better able to communicate. We don’t always agree but we’ve learned to communicate and set our boundaries.

At the beginning of this faith transition mess, I was afraid we’d be divorced. Had little kids.

Now I’m afraid we won’t get divorced. Kids are nearly grown up.

You just have to like each other more that the church.

And follow 2 simple rules:

1. Never talk about church or any conflict after 9:00 PM
2. Never talk about church or any conflict while on vacation.

3. (Bonus). after 9:00 PM and while on vacation should be reserved for mending relationships if you know what I mean wink wink. Sans garments is best. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Good advice RR. How did you talk her into going to therapy with you? Also what are the Sans garments?
Have you thought about surprising her with an activity you think she mighty enjoy, something you guys could strengthen your relationship with by spending time with each other learning the ends and outs of the new activity? Something that has absolutely nothing to do with church, something you and her have never done or thought of doing. A few years back my wife and I started playing golf together and eventually started playing in golf leagues against other teams. No Mormons, mainly Christians and atheist on the course. We were the only ones on the course that were sober🤣. It really strengthened our relationship. For a couple of years we also became really addicted to kayaking, we were obsessed, until a water moccasin slithered into my wife's kayak.

Basically, maybe find an activity you both enjoy, become obsessed about it, make that activity your therapy and while enjoying that time together maybe make a rule that you guys never talk about church or family during that time. If you can find a way to replace the negative time you guys spend together with positive time, doesn't matter what you're doing, the better your relationship will be.
That is a great idea AM! It's hard with young kids for now, but we need to just hire a babysitter and go out more for sure.

User avatar
Angel
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Angel » Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 pm

stuck wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:06 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:52 pm
I’ll put in the plug for exercise, sleep, and trying to eat healthy. Talking to your doctor is also a perfect solution.

Taking a break from Mormonism is highly recommended too. Both chapel and internet Mormonism.

Take care of yourself first.
I like the break from mormonism. I'll have to see if my Dr. will agree then I can tell my wife "Doctor's orders" :lol:
I set boundaries with a few relatives.

Phone + ear buds - favorite audio book, such as "combating cult mind control" ... skip the earbuds, just casually flip on your own noise when other noisemakers start making noise.

5-HTP plus, Dr. emil. :)
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 6150
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 am

stuck wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am
Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:09 pm
Read Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind.
Hagoth, is this the one about magic mushrooms? I know you have tried these in the past. Did you try them in that church started by an exmo? It is interesting. Tell us more if you can.
Yes to all of the above. I will start a thread in the Coffee Shop, so as not to further distract from this thread.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by stuck » Fri May 27, 2022 12:10 pm

Angel wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 pm
stuck wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:06 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:52 pm
I’ll put in the plug for exercise, sleep, and trying to eat healthy. Talking to your doctor is also a perfect solution.

Taking a break from Mormonism is highly recommended too. Both chapel and internet Mormonism.

Take care of yourself first.
I like the break from mormonism. I'll have to see if my Dr. will agree then I can tell my wife "Doctor's orders" :lol:
I set boundaries with a few relatives.

Phone + ear buds - favorite audio book, such as "combating cult mind control" ... skip the earbuds, just casually flip on your own noise when other noisemakers start making noise.

5-HTP plus, Dr. emil. :)
Thanks for the tips Angel!

stuck
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by stuck » Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 am
stuck wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am
Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:09 pm
Read Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind.
Hagoth, is this the one about magic mushrooms? I know you have tried these in the past. Did you try them in that church started by an exmo? It is interesting. Tell us more if you can.
Yes to all of the above. I will start a thread in the Coffee Shop, so as not to further distract from this thread.
Cool, I'll check it out!

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 6150
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Anxiety and Depression

Post by Hagoth » Sat May 28, 2022 3:54 pm

stuck wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 am
stuck wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am


Hagoth, is this the one about magic mushrooms? I know you have tried these in the past. Did you try them in that church started by an exmo? It is interesting. Tell us more if you can.
Yes to all of the above. I will start a thread in the Coffee Shop, so as not to further distract from this thread.
Cool, I'll check it out!
It's there now.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests