Are there no GenCon rumor this time around?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
jfro18

Are there no GenCon rumor this time around?

Post by jfro18 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:38 am

It seems like in the weeks leading up to GenCon every six months there are all sorts of rumors coming out, but either I'm out of the loop or there has just been nothing this time around.

I tend to have this belief that Nelson was pushing through everything he wanted to do quickly to cement his legacy before he dies, so maybe now it's just keeping things steady until Oaks unleashes hell on this church.

Has anyone heard anything?

TestimonyLost2

Re: Are there no GenCon rumor this time around?

Post by TestimonyLost2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:05 am

I've been poking around looking for something. Lots of hopes and dreams about softening WoW and garment requirements. Anything like that would shock me. :lol:

The one rumor I've seen that might hold up? Combining the service missionaries with the regular missionaries under the existing mission presidents. With all the pressure of everyone serving a mission, I think think it would help a ton if service missions were viewed as a respectable alternative to a "real" mission. Some kids just aren't cut out for the full grind but can pull off a local service mission. However, I think there's a stigma associated with them which needs to be addressed.

Of course, my sons are within a few years of mission age, so it might just be my bias.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm

At this point any thing that should be changed probably will not change. Therefore the only rumors I’m hearing are guesses on how many new temples will be announced.

I think conference will be:

1. Stay the course
2. Attend the temples often if not weekly.
3. Follow the prophet
4. The mirage of personal revelation exists only in the confines of true obedience to the prophet.
5. Prophet worship
6. New temple announcements.

The last few years have followed a pattern. Rebranding and temple building were the course. Rebranding is done. Temple building will continue.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:37 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm
This was my first thought.

Ya think old Rusy Nail can make it to 200 announcements before he jumps on that chariot bound for Elohim's planet near Kolob?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:23 pm

I predict a record number of mentions of the "covenant path."

Check this out, from a search I made at lds-general-conference.org:

Number of uses of "covenant path" in conference talks:
1850s-1190s: zero
2000s: 3
2010s: 106
2020s: 91 (and were not even 3 years into the decade. Remind me to check back for this number after October Conference)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:58 am

Rumors usually swirl when people are excited for a particular change. A lack of rumors could indicate apathy is setting in.

It could be the result of all the recent changes that have happened under Nelson's tenure that haven't really made all that much of a difference. If past changes are any indication, a rumor that they're going to rename something really isn't that exciting.

Temple announcements have been overdone. One thing that made temples so special was scarcity. Temples feel far less special today that when I was a kid. Now it's like another 7-11 going up.

What's left to rumor?

Relaxing the WoW and dropping the garment requirement are perennial rumors. I think more and more people are getting tired of waiting around for those to happen and they're deciding to make it happen for themselves.

That could be a part of less rumors too. Less interest in waiting for desired changes and more going ahead and making the change without waiting for permission in the form of a conference announcement. Less, "I heard they were going to make garments temple only." and more, "I'm making garments temple only."
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:40 am

Without question, there will be references to Satan's attacks on the Church through unflattering and inaccurate portrayals of the Church in entertainment. They'll call out Under the Banner of Heaven and Sins of the Mother obliquely in ways that send the message without explicitly stating which shows they have issues with.

There will be a doubling down on the importance of bishops and their inspired role in the Church to offset the negative press about the Arizona sexual abuse fiasco.

And of course, tons of rhetoric about attacks on religious freedom. And the dangers of accepting the LGBTQ+ community.

I can about guarantee they will hit each of the above points. If I get even one right I'm a better prophet than Russell Nelson.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:32 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm
At this point any thing that should be changed probably will not change. Therefore the only rumors I’m hearing are guesses on how many new temples will be announced.

I think conference will be:

1. Stay the course
2. Attend the temples often if not weekly.
3. Follow the prophet
4. The mirage of personal revelation exists only in the confines of true obedience to the prophet.
5. Prophet worship

The last few years have followed a pattern. Rebranding and temple building were the course. Rebranding is done. Temple building will continue.
I think you're a better prophet than anyone who spoke over the weekend! Here's what I saw:

1. Stay the course - Pretty much every talk
2. Attend the temples often if not weekly. Rusty specifically mentioned going to the temple more often in his closing remarks Sunday afternoon
3. Follow the prophet Throughout. Rusty was quoted more than Jesus!
4. The mirage of personal revelation exists only in the confines of true obedience to the prophet. Renlund's talk Saturday morning
5. Prophet worship Throughout. Rusty was quoted more than Jesus!
6. New temple announcements. I counted 18 new temples announced Sunday afternoon

And it didn't suck up 10 hours of my time to read your post!!! Red Ryder for Prophet!!