We do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

We do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:36 pm

From the Wall Street journal article:
A 2007 Ensign Peak Advisors tax return showed assets totaling $1,000,000. The real number was about $38 billion.

Church officials said they believe that, as a religious organization, the church doesn’t have to disclose its assets. Todd Budge, another member of the presiding bishopric, said anyone familiar with the church would know its assets exceeded $1 million. “It wasn’t an accurate answer. It wasn’t meant to be an accurate answer,” said Budge, a 63-year-old former banking and private-equity executive.“It was simply meant to communicate that we do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Re: We do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:48 pm

Why would any member feel obligated to be honest in their temple recommend interviews, with paying a full tithe, or “with their fellow man”?

Institutional dishonesty at its finest!

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:07 am

This is where they talk out both sides of their mouths and always want to have it both ways.
"We believe in being subject to the laws of the land, expect for our Jebus money, that transcends man's laws. Our god's ways are not man's ways...at least poor man's ways, just rich man's ways. " -- no one
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

stuck

Post by stuck » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:14 pm

Good find RR! Boy further evidence of their fraud. Yet we will certainly not hear any confessions or apologies right?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:55 pm

It was simply meant to communicate that we do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.
If that's the case then presumably they would have left the box empty. They didn't. They wrote a misleading number in that box.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:51 pm

My disgust with these conmen grows daily.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:51 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:55 pm
It was simply meant to communicate that we do not feel that we’re obligated to fill in that box.
If that's the case then presumably they would have left the box empty. They didn't. They wrote a misleading number in that box.
They did in 2017.

https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/ ... 991843.pdf

In 2018 and 2019 they put “over 1,000,000”

In 2013 someone came in after and hand wrote “over”

https://pp-990.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws. ... 170b237fa0

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:21 pm

Are we our brothers' keepers? In other words, are we responsible to look after the well-being of our neighbors as we seek to earn our daily bread? The Savior's Golden Rule says we are. Satan says we are not.

Tempted of Satan, some have followed the example of Cain. They covet property and then sin to obtain it. The sin may be murder, robbery, or theft. It may be fraud or deception. It may even be some clever but legal manipulation of facts or influence to take unfair advantage of another. Always the excuse is the same: "Am I my brother's keeper?" - Dallin H. Oaks, Brother's Keeper, Ensign, Nov. 1986, p.20
Brethren and sisters, please join me in extending the NOM lifetime Hypocrite Award to Dallin Hellyeah Oaks
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:42 am

Alma 4:8 For they saw and beheld with great sorrow that the people of the church began to be lifted up in the pride of their eyes, and to set their hearts upon riches and upon the vain things of the world, that they began to be scornful, one towards another, and they began to persecute those that did not believe according to their own will and pleasure.

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:50 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:21 pm
Are we our brothers' keepers? In other words, are we responsible to look after the well-being of our neighbors as we seek to earn our daily bread? The Savior's Golden Rule says we are. Satan says we are not.

Tempted of Satan, some have followed the example of Cain. They covet property and then sin to obtain it. The sin may be murder, robbery, or theft. It may be fraud or deception. It may even be some clever but legal manipulation of facts or influence to take unfair advantage of another. Always the excuse is the same: "Am I my brother's keeper?" - Dallin H. Oaks, Brother's Keeper, Ensign, Nov. 1986, p.20
Brethren and sisters, please join me in extending the NOM lifetime Hypocrite Award to Dallin Hellyeah Oaks
Brilliant Hagoth!

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:24 pm

Interesting. Heard about the article or one like it. Is that the same article that mentioned the reason the church didn't fill in the box honestly and accurately was because they feared church members would stop paying tithing?
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:07 pm

The Church has not been telling the truth for its entire history. Members will make up excuses for these lies. It is like a crowd of Trump supporters: New revelations of deceit and wrongdoing do not phase them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha