Her shelf is beginning to Crack!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Conman52

Her shelf is beginning to Crack!!!

Post by Conman52 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:11 am

Hello : It must be a cold day in hell today !!! Finally after 10 years of trying to convince my wife about the tscc being B.S. her shelf is cracking. She found out through our recently returned missionary granddaughter that the 2nd counselor in the stake presidency plays D&D. For me this is no big deal but for my TBM believing / conspiracy believing wife that was huge !!!! She is now saying stuff about she doesn't know if she believes the prophet is really a profit !! I told her he does profit $$. Thank God for small but significant miracles !
By their fruits ye shall know them

Hagoth

Re: Her shelf is beginning to Crack!!!

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:09 pm

The fear of D&D is kinda conspiracy theory-ish, but the church is also a big, elaborate collection of conspiracy theories, so I guess this is an example of fighting fire with fire. Any port in a storm, if it works. Good luck, and please keep us informed, Conman.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:07 pm

Conman52 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:11 am
She found out through our recently returned missionary granddaughter that the 2nd counselor in the stake presidency plays D&D.
Wait until she finds that Joseph pretended to pull his sacred writings out of a rock. Talk about rockomancy!!!
"Eenie Meanie Chili Beanie, the stone is about to speak."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:41 am

D&D is a thing? Funny that I never heard anything about it being of Satan!!! Is it a Utah thing?

Yay for your wife starting toward freedom, but I don't envy the feelings she'll have to navigate. Luckily she doesn't have to do it alone.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:40 pm

hmb wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:41 am
D&D is a thing? Funny that I never heard anything about it being of Satan!!! Is it a Utah thing?
I don't think it's just a Utah thing, since conman doesn't reside in Utah...

The D&D thing is: Learning to cast spells, incantations, etc. It's evil, ya know?

(Because sacred sacrament incantations, and magick healing spells with magick oil are NOT evil, ya know?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Gave up who I am for who you wanted me to be...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:44 pm

It's interesting how some things leak into Mormonism to greater or lesser degrees from wider Christianity. My parents would have had no problem at all with Dungeons and Dragons but face cards were off limits.

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:54 pm

Conman52 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:11 am
.... She found out through our recently returned missionary granddaughter that the 2nd counselor in the stake presidency ....
One bad apple in leadership will do it.
I left because one bad apple was molesting kids.... just one bad apple? It was everyone who called them, sustained them, protected them...

Show her some of the real bad apples leading the church if you want it to stick.

On another note,I love DnD!! Last game I played was so fun - an epic game where a divination wizard (prophet) leads lawful/good (righteous) set of players on a perilous quest across continents. We faced off against wicked sorcerers and monstrous armies, guided by a magical compass and wielding powerful plates of scripture. Throughout the journey, we discovered hidden knowledge and built magnificent cities, but ultimately faced a brutal final battle where everyone died :(.... people were really into the game, got all emotional and worked up over it - like it was real... I guess that's why DnD is so scary to some, people get addicted to it, so wrapped up in the fantasy they lose track of reality :(
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:24 am

Since my 1st post on this the other day I did a little research on this and yes it was disavowed 20 years ago but fell under the appearance of evil by church leaders cites 1 thesollonians 5:22. Today the church has forgotten all about how evil it was and makes no mention of it anywhere. It's nice to be in your sixties and have a decent memory !! Like so many other things that have changed since the days of Kimball & Mcconkie. P.s. I do thank God that we don't live in the Morridor.
By their fruits ye shall know them

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:51 am

hmb wrote:
D&D was a big target for the Satanic Panic back in the 1980's. This was a nationwide hysteria, not just Utah. LOT of people thought that D&D was somehow summoning demons or some other BS. There are plenty of media from the time that talk about people freaking out with D&D. Heck, it is even a plot point in Stranger Things. It has slowly gained popularity and acceptance since then.

It is pretty popular today. Both my of younger sisters are active players with groups online. I think the internet has helped it gain popularity, letting people interact and run campaigns remotely.

Still, even today, you see people who see it as devil worship. I have a coworker (nevermo) who thinks anything that mentions things resembling devils or magic is evil. D&D, horror movies, Harry Potter, and anything Halloween related are common targets for her.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:49 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:40 pm
hmb wrote:
I don't think it's just a Utah thing, since conman doesn't reside in Utah...

The D&D thing is: Learning to cast spells, incantations, etc. It's evil, ya know?

(Because sacred sacrament incantations, and magick healing spells with magick oil are NOT evil, ya know?)
Well that's cuz they've got the magical, protection-y underwear.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:41 pm

Don’t forget about Proctor and Gamble being tied to the devil. We heard a few over the pulpit pleas to avoid buying their products.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg