Legal Defense Fund puts the smackdown on BYU-Hawaii

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Legal Defense Fund puts the smackdown on BYU-Hawaii

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:53 pm

You may have been following this story where BYU-Hawaii President has been trying to kick out a black student for having locs in his hair. The whole story sounds discriminatory.
The Legal Defense Fund just got involved and sent a letter to the university president.
In the letter, the LDF reminded the president of the historic agreement from a few years ago between the church and the NAACP.

Here is a link to the letter:
https://www.naacpldf.org/wp-content/upl ... licies.pdf

Here is a link to a SLTrib story:
https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... ghts-team/
~2bizE

moksha

Re: Legal Defense Fund puts the smackdown on BYU-Hawaii

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:31 pm

The folks at the Interpreter to the Saints Foundation might argue that such protections do not accrue at BYU-Hawaii because the original priesthood was limited to the Levites and this so-called "student" is clearly from the tribe of Ham. Some of the SeN posters* might call for his expulsion and ex-communication.

* SeN is a blog by Church ambassador-at-large, Dr. Daniel Peterson. Its purpose is to provide Church apologetics.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:29 pm

The problem with Church leaders since Joseph, or at least Brigham, is they don't have the imagination to understand that people are different. Not everybody is a man, almost always white, with a conservative background, almost always raised in the "church." Hence they lay down rules that they think are reasonable, but that infringe on other people's culture.
Well, it's either Mormon Church leaders or Mormon God that have that problem. I think it's the leaders.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:58 am

The Great Apostasy obviously happened right around prophet number 9. The men before that would not be considered worthy to hold temple recommends today, let alone hold top leadership positions. And I'm not just talking about facial hair. Among their ranks were a number of polygamists, Word of Wisdom breakers, civil-rights deniers, bearers of false witness, and preachers of false doctrine.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."