The Road not taken. by Robert Frost.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

The Road not taken. by Robert Frost.

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:18 am

I have the poetry loving gene. Both my parents grew up in a time when memorizing and reciting poetry was a big part of their education. Mom recited poetry at home, and Dad recited poetry in the fields.
The Robert Frost poem: "The Road Not Taken" continues to be meaningful as I near my 70's. What if I hadn't read Jack London and Robert Heinlein in high school?
What if my friends and I had not obsessed on the Moody Blues and LOTR?
What if I had not googled Kinderhook plates in 2010?
What if I hadn't gone on my mission?
What if had skipped the devotional where Pres. Kimball commanded the Ricks College students to get married- soon!
One thing that makes me grateful for the paths that I've taken is the great people I've met here at NOM, and also at the St. Judas church. Post Mo's are the spice of life.

"I kept the first for another day..." Frost.
"You can never go back..." Don Henley/ Thomas Wolfe.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Cnsl1

Re: The Road not taken. by Robert Frost.

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:32 am

Amen, brother.

I grew up with a poetry and book living mother who read me classic poetry from the likes of Eugene Field, Frost, Kipling, Tennison, and Longfellow. Good stuff.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:30 pm

Another poetry lover here. Your post sent me on a quest for my favorite anthology called The Best Loved Poems of the American People. I think all the poets mentioned on this thread are represented in that volume. Happily I found it.

The composer Randall Thompson chose a set of poems by Frost to put to music and called the set Frostiana IIRC. I know the poem you mentioned by heart because I sang it a few times in a choral group. I find myself hoping (well, mostly wishing) that the sci-fi dimensional theory of reality is real and at some point I get to see all the different outcomes because of different choices.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:30 pm

Duplicate. Deleted.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:34 pm

Taking the road of thinking for yourself seemed grassier and in want of wear, besides it made sense.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:45 pm

I've recently been off grid (power and internet outages), so found precious escape from work to read. I happened across "The Lessons of St. Francis," by John Michael Talbot, thought that was relevant inspiration for the situation. Ch2 recounts a story of mulberry tree pruning - cringe - only I had to push down the trigger, and read the new story. For Talbot/Francis, pruning symbolized adopting a minimalist approach, they actually lived it - they gave away all they had, let go of material excess to achieve a deeper, more meaningful more fulfilling life. It was a different moral, a different story.

Reminded me of reading the starfish story - the original one.
Loren Eiseley, 1969 essay "The Star Thrower,"
http://www.learning-living.com/2014/08/ ... y.html?m=1

All the stolen words, twisted messages, have to find the originals, untwist it, find ways to enjoy the unpolluted versions.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson