Class action lawsuit over tithing

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
HappierNow

Class action lawsuit over tithing

Post by HappierNow » Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:46 pm

moksha

Re: Class action lawsuit over tithing

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:18 pm

Since that article is for subscribers only, could you give us a synopsis?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:12 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:18 pm
They are rolling a bunch of smaller tithing lawsuits into one big tithing lawsuit. They are going to argue that the church misled members about what the money was being used for. I hope it works. I know we would all love a refund on all the $$$ we gave them.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:09 am

The legal system seems to be faltering. A scary thing when laws are not enforced for the wealthy, prisons are filled with the innocent, judges are bribed, juries intimidated.

I think a certain political party - perhaps all political parties, have corrupted the system.

Religious groups - from tax evasion to political manipulation, lies about "charity", it is sickening what all religious groups do. Until the population has an unaffiliated majority - it might require all religious organizations falling before any single group can be taken down. To attack "tithes" of one group is to attack them all. Mormons might be a good group to start with, least popular.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:13 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 9:18 pm
https://web.archive.org/web/20240721001 ... r-tithing/
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Gave up who I am for who you wanted me to be...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:01 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:12 am
They are going to argue that the church misled members about what the money was being used for.
Which is absolutely true. We'll see how much power state has over church (or truth has over manipulation). I'm not optimistic.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:40 pm

I understand that class action suits nationwide have been transferred to the Utah Courts where the Church has undisputed influence.

In the past judges have dismissed cases rather than risk the wrath of the Church and Utah Citizens. Even if a case goes to trial, Utah juries have their peculiarities (they are after all a peculiar people) such as finding both former criminal Republican Attorneys General innocent despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

The Saints are a Trumpian people.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:16 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:40 pm
I understand that class action suits nationwide have been transferred to the Utah Courts where the Church has undisputed influence.

In the past judges have dismissed cases rather than risk the wrath of the Church and Utah Citizens. Even if a case goes to trial, Utah juries have their peculiarities (they are after all a peculiar people) such as finding both former criminal Republican Attorneys General innocent despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

The Saints are a Trumpian people.
It seems like a win against the church would set a precedent that could landslide into something truly epic, not just for Mormonism but for other churches as well. Although I would love to see churches held accountable for their behaviors I'm tired of being disappointed. Even Scientology managed to slime their way out of accountability by adding a cross to their logo and temporarily acting more churchy.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:47 am

I watched a Mormon News video in which Bill, RFM, and Rebecca Biblioteca had no qualms about the Utah judge assigned to the case, so I hope everything goes by the merits of the evidence. One potential wild card they did mention is our current Supreme Court issuing a ruling that financial chicanery is covered under religious freedom.
-- Moksha