Convictions

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Angel

Convictions

Post by Angel » Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:53 am

Reading the below quote, it applies to me. I don't believe much anymore.

What does everyone out there still believe in?

My list is quite short:
I believe in protecting kids.
I believe in being independent and self-reliant.

What does everyone not believe?

I don't believe any groups - am scared of all groups, scared of all heirarchies. Any authority figure - religious, political, professional, family - anyone in any authority type roll gets my defense up.

"This constant lying is not aimed at making the people believe a lie, but at ensuring that no one believes anything anymore.
A people that can no longer distinguish between truth and lies cannot distinguish between right and wrong.
And such a people, deprived of the power to think and judge, is, without knowing and willing it, completely subjected to the rule of lies. With such a people, you can do whatever you want."

- Hannah Arendt,
(14 October 1906 – 4 December 1975) was a German historian and philosopher.

The aim of totalitarian education has never been to instill convictions but to destroy the capacity to form any.
Arendt's extensive body of work includes many nuanced discussions on truth, lies, and the nature of totalitarianism, and this quote reflects themes from her writing on totalitarianism and the nature of truth.
This constant lying... so much of what I held dear, lies.

Living in the misinformation age.

To destroy the ability to form convictions.

Convictions - I still volunteer, conviction for helping others. Conviction for education, am a teacher, hate politics in schools but see STEM, the study of natural laws as worthwhile. I believe in protecting the environment.

So, what does everyone believe in?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Re: Convictions

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:19 am

When it comes to spirituality I believe direct personal experience is infinitely more important than the claims or opinions of others.

I believe that what someone experiences personally is specifically THEIR experience, and that it has no bearing on how anyone else should live or think or what they should do.

I believe anyone who tells you what God wants from you is lying, whether intentionally or unintentionally. The more money they want from you, the less credible I believe them to be.

I believe the truest thing Jesus said (or is reported to have said) is that the kingdom of God is within you. No specific definition of God is required here. In this context you can even be your own God. Everything you need comes with the basic package. Job number one is to figure out how to use it, preferably long before you die.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:17 pm

I believe in Love- Charity- (agape in Greek.) When Paul says Love is greater than faith, I think, "Yeah! Obviously!"
The idea that God can simply be "Love" resonates with me. Love is an ideal I still pursue, though I don't live up to it. Life is painful, and I feel regret for pain I have caused. I hope to be more kind in the future. 8-)
I believe in Truth- Reality. I think a consensus reality is possible. I know we each have different perceptions of reality, but I think we should humbly pursue truth wherever it leads. Indeed I may say that Pale Rider's motto is also mine. Though we may not agree now, we eventually will, or our descendants will. :D
The pursuit of truth is enhanced by trying to understand others. Rigid, partisan thinking is the enemy. This is why extremists make me uncomfortable. :?
I believe I may be wrong. My convictions should be re-examined constantly.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:15 pm

My personal "spiritual" experiences alternate between hating God and reminding myself He doesn't exist. Any good feelings come from a bit of cheese, a good night's sleep, or pleasant weather—nothing more.

I'm still deciding what love is. There are lots of different kinds of love, and I'm settling on the idea that "if you love something, let it go"—no attachment, no control, just appreciation from a distance.

Truth— "the" Truth? Or "a" truth? Partial truths? Relative, temporary pieces of truth. Fragments—like a mystery novel - where new truths make the old truths wrong. Twists in the twisted stories always bring some new "truth" to shed light on previously incorrect truths. So, I believe in ambiguity, in agnosticism, nothing worth saying "eureka!" for — just occasional temporary fragments that sort of work for small things.

Sorry, I'm argumentative, I debate everything and everyone- a way to stay independent, detached - I hate groupthink and tribalism so much, I feel comfortable keeping myself detached.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:04 pm

Angel wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:53 am
Gravity. I believe in Gravity.

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Gave up who I am for who you wanted me to be...

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:45 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:04 pm
Angel wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:53 am
Gravity. I believe in Gravity.

Haha.

It should be noted that gravity is the weakest of the the four fundamental forces,

Strong Nuclear Force
Electromagnetic Force kqq/r^2
Weak Nuclear Force
Gravitational Force, GMm/r^2, 10^38 times weaker than strong force. 38 0's

strong force = 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 x (38 zeros) gravitational force

Gravity actually is insignificant, on some length scales haha

Rigid beliefs, convictions in anything, can hinder growth and adaptability, can blind the mind to other possibilities - perhaps better possibilities. Best to not grow too attached to anything, remain free and flexible.
Last edited by Angel on Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:33 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:17 pm
I believe in Love- Charity- (agape in Greek.) When Paul says Love is greater than faith, I think, "Yeah! Obviously!"
The idea that God can simply be "Love" resonates with me. Love is an ideal I still pursue, though I don't live up to it. Life is painful, and I feel regret for pain I have caused. I hope to be more kind in the future. 8-)
I believe in Truth- Reality. I think a consensus reality is possible. I know we each have different perceptions of reality, but I think we should humbly pursue truth wherever it leads. Indeed I may say that Pale Rider's motto is also mine. Though we may not agree now, we eventually will, or our descendants will. :D
The pursuit of truth is enhanced by trying to understand others. Rigid, partisan thinking is the enemy. This is why extremists make me uncomfortable. :?
I believe I may be wrong. My convictions should be re-examined constantly.
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:19 am
When it comes to spirituality I believe direct personal experience is infinitely more important than the claims or opinions of others.

I believe that what someone experiences personally is specifically THEIR experience, and that it has no bearing on how anyone else should live or think or what they should do.

I believe anyone who tells you what God wants from you is lying, whether intentionally or unintentionally. The more money they want from you, the less credible I believe them to be.

I believe the truest thing Jesus said (or is reported to have said) is that the kingdom of God is within you. No specific definition of God is required here. In this context you can even be your own God. Everything you need comes with the basic package. Job number one is to figure out how to use it, preferably long before you die.
I kind of believe a mix up of what you guys believe.
Hey, let's start our own church! I call the calling of prophet!! :lol:

I also believe that life can be shit...and if you have something that helps you through it, well, that's great.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
I love the above "quote" from the turn-of-the-millennium apocalyptic street-preacher they call Jesus.

I'd love to tell a true believer: "If you want to see God, just look in the mirror."

Or another take: "I have seen the Gods, and they are us."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Gave up who I am for who you wanted me to be...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:04 pm

Angel wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:45 am
It should be noted that gravity is the weakest of the the four fundamental forces,
Actually 5. Between my time in the church and my time working in the entertainment industry I learned that there is a very powerful force at work in our corner of the cosmos that, I believe, falls somewhere between the Strong and Electromagnetic forces:

Strong Nuclear Force
Bullshit
Weak Nuclear Force
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:06 am

It seems that in 2024 Bullshit and Evidence are in competition, and Bullshit is maintaining its lead. I'd like to see Evidence at least tie things up in regulation. :?

Let me add that Love is a powerful force. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:42 pm

A note on bullshit...

After a decade, I've caught my fair share of cheaters- copied assignments, hired help, shared exams etc.

Before reading further, picture in your mind the characteristics of what kinds of students you believe would be the cheaters.

Did you picture nerdy, insecure, unpopular, poor, stinky, ill-dressed students? Angry, quiet, mean, defensive personality? Bzzzz - wrong, that's not who cheats.

Did you picture the kindest, most friendly, charismatic, smiling, happy, outgoing kids in the class? The kids you love to have? Your favorite students who you can count on for a lively class discussion and can count on to bring good energy, humor, makes everyone loosen up - always on time, stays late? Unfortunately, bingo, it breaks your heart when you learn whose work was plagiarized, who posted the exam questions online, who paid someone else to take exam, paid others to do hw for them - they are so darn charismatic, it's just how they survive, how life has always been. When busted, they aren't embarrassed, they don't feel bad, they have no conscience - they laugh, as if a game, wink, disbelieve it's actually an F, ramp up the kind/friendly personality and start bargaining, manipulating, twisting .... I bust them, they get that F (after a fight with administration and everyone else they can pull to their side)... I know its a dent, won't change them, they will become the millionaires, the billionaires in life....

Interesting, what forces, what knowledge really gets you ahead.

Don't meet your heroes. Don't look too deeply at your star students....

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:56 am

This is something I think about a lot. Do I believe in anything at all anymore? If you define believe as living as if something is true, then yes, I play along with all kinds of societal conventions, feel strongly about some moral issues, and even continue to follow a number of teachings I learned from Mormonism.

But it all seems so hollow on reflection. That said, I don't find the hollowness particularly depressing because things are the way they are regardless of what I believe and I'm lucky to live in a time and place where I have the luxury of being able to reflect on the concepts of truth and reality instead of being in a war zone or something.

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:10 pm

Ghost wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:56 am
This is something I think about a lot. Do I believe in anything at all anymore? If you define believe as living as if something is true, then yes, I play along with all kinds of societal conventions, feel strongly about some moral issues, and even continue to follow a number of teachings I learned from Mormonism.

But it all seems so hollow on reflection. That said, I don't find the hollowness particularly depressing because things are the way they are regardless of what I believe and I'm lucky to live in a time and place where I have the luxury of being able to reflect on the concepts of truth and reality instead of being in a war zone or something.
Living in a war zone... yes, I have students who have come from war zones. Let's hope those horrors do not find their way onto our ground.

Letting go. Every now and then, I re-read this little parable. Let go, embrace change, adapt - a different way to live, new beliefs, embracing constant change over holding to rods... and rocky foundations...

----

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great crystal river. The current of the river swept silently over them all - young and old, rich and poor, good and evil, the current going its own way, knowing only its own crystal self.
Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs and rocks at the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and resisting the current what each had learned from birth.
But one creature said at last, 'I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom.'
The other creatures laughed and said, 'Fool! Let go, and that current you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks, and you shall die quicker than boredom!'
But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks.
Yet in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more.
And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, 'See a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come to save us all!'
And the one carried in the current said, 'I am no more Messiah than you. The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure.'
But they cried the more, 'Saviour!' all the while clinging to the rocks, and when they looked again he was gone, and they were left alone making legends of a Saviour.
-- Richard Bach, from "Illusions"

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:48 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:04 pm
Actually 5. Between my time in the church and my time working in the entertainment industry I learned that there is a very powerful force at work in our corner of the cosmos that, I believe, falls somewhere between the Strong and Electromagnetic forces:

Strong Nuclear Force
Bullshit
Weak Nuclear Force

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:20 pm

We should be kind and helpful to one another.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Evil Monkey

Post by Evil Monkey » Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:39 am

Hagoth wrote:

Hagoth you and I are in the same boat. I couldn't sum up my beliefs better than you just did. Looking back I feel like I believed alot of this even when I thought I was TBM. The biggest example i can think of was after my mission and when I was dating my wife we saw the movie Stigmata. Minor Spoiler alert for a 25 year old movie ahead: Underneath the Horror elements there was a much deeper message of truth hidden in Stigmata. I won't spoil everything for those of you NOMs who haven't seen it but would recommend it if you are ok with mixing a bit of jump scare and horror elements in with the truth about God. But the jest of Stigmata is that it is pro God and very much pro Christ but anti religion. It challenges every believe that a religion is needed to become closer to God and Christ and it makes it clearer that having a religion is not needed to get back to God/Christ. The main quote of the movie is this:
"Split a piece of wood and I am there. Lift a stone and you will find me"
I believe God, Christ or whatever you choose to call your deity is everywhere and I have believed this since going through the temple for my endowments. And this belief was strengthened on my mission and then reaffirmed when I watched Stigmata. It wasn't till later that I realized that just like in Stigmata's plot every single religion will fight to keep that sentiment that God is everywhere quiet or that it is blasphemous. I believe there was a couple times in my TBM days i tried to share this belief in Elder's quorum and I was met with immediate opposition. At the time I had no idea what I had said that was so wrong to them. Now of course I do.

When asked what I believe I affirm that I believe in a Deity...call him what you will...I call him God. I believe God can be found literally everywhere. This of course diminishes the need for a Houses of the Lord that TBMs call temples. I believe that the communion TBM temple recommend holders seek with the Lord can be found literally everywhere. The key is the desire to seek it.
I'll stop here for now but I think this thread may have inspired a spin off thread that i will start separately. Thanks again Hagoth for your words...I come to this forum occasionally for affirmation that I am in the right place. It helps to hear the beliefs of those who are right there with me. So thank you.