My son is posting anti information on FB now.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Tacenda

Re: My son is posting anti information on FB now.

Post by Tacenda » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:54 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:44 pm
I think you should investigate why you have so much anxiety about your adult children posting things that they think on social media. This isn't healthy.
Yes, indeed!

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 pm
It's such a fine line we have to walk in order to stay on good terms with those with whom we don't always agree. If one burns a bridge and we essentially become enemies or alienated, we lose whatever influence we might have with that other person. We also lose the ability to engage their help if for some reason we end up needing it. It's hard to ask for help from your enemy when you're in a real bind.

On the other hand, if we don't stand by our own principles to a large degree we risk being swept by others into things that are utterly wrong according to our core values.

I prefer to keep a bridge intact as long as possible.
Good thoughts here!

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:14 pm

Tacenda wrote:It's happened. My other son posted a comment that basically said pres. Oaks is a d i c k, with a emoji of a zucchini. I can't bear this, I'm sorry. I texted the son that is anti and asked him to take it down, but if he didn't I would understand. I feel helpless now. My kids don't mince words and their anger at the church is blatant. Why not leave quietly, oh well...
I think you are supposed to use an eggplant, not zucchini...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 am

oliblish wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:14 pm
Tacenda wrote:It's happened. My other son posted a comment that basically said pres. Oaks is a d i c k, with a emoji of a zucchini. I can't bear this, I'm sorry. I texted the son that is anti and asked him to take it down, but if he didn't I would understand. I feel helpless now. My kids don't mince words and their anger at the church is blatant. Why not leave quietly, oh well...
I think you are supposed to use an eggplant, not zucchini...
That's probably what it was, in fact when I googled zucchini emoji, only the eggplant came up. And if memory serves that's the one he used. And after a talk with this son, I was wrong, he didn't call Oaks a d i c k, he was just saying a phrase that is maybe common amongst people his age, something like he is a big wig, or something. I need to learn the lingo, and I'm really not that old, 57, to not know the lingo. Something like he's a big d i c k ass. I hate that I'm even saying this in public, lol.

But now the FB post is taken down, and I'm sort of ashamed for worrying so much about what people think.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:01 am

Why are you extending the d i c k ? :lol:

I think your underlying problem is that of residual respect for the church leaders that we all once held near and dear in our hearts and minds. You’ve been taught to respect them so when you see disrespect it really hurts you especially from your kids who you have no doubt taught to be respectful.

Don’t feel bad, your feelings are valid. You probably are also irritated with the nasty call out culture within social media.

You can move forward with immersion therapy. Not the baptism kind, but go ahead and type dick without the spaces. It’s cathartic.

Dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, goooooose!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 am

Palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 pm
It's such a fine line we have to walk in order to stay on good terms with those with whom we don't always agree. If one burns a bridge and we essentially become enemies or alienated, we lose whatever influence we might have with that other person. We also lose the ability to engage their help if for some reason we end up needing it. It's hard to ask for help from your enemy when you're in a real bind.
Palerider has it right. Your son might have some valid points, but he is actively looking for bridges to burn.

Tacenda

Post by Tacenda » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:05 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:01 am
Why are you extending the d i c k ? :lol:

I think your underlying problem is that of residual respect for the church leaders that we all once held near and dear in our hearts and minds. You’ve been taught to respect them so when you see disrespect it really hurts you especially from your kids who you have no doubt taught to be respectful.

Don’t feel bad, your feelings are valid. You probably are also irritated with the nasty call out culture within social media.

You can move forward with immersion therapy. Not the baptism kind, but go ahead and type dick without the spaces. It’s cathartic.

Dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, goooooose!
LOL!!! I discuss on the MDDB or MADD board. And if you spell dick, it blocks it out, for instance if you type Charles Dickens, it will block out Dick with asteriks. So my doing this was out of habit or just plain dumbness.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:14 pm

Tacenda wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:05 am
LOL!!! I discuss on the MDDB or MADD board. And if you spell dick, it blocks it out, for instance, if you type Charles Dickens, it will block out Dick with asterisks. So my doing this was out of habit or just plain dumbness.
Just to post at MDDB takes a degree of self-censorship, lest you incur the wrath of the moderators or posters like SMAC and Scott Lloyd. One of the moderators, Calm does seem to be sympathetic to you. I imagine it is much easier discussing this problem here rather than there.

We do need to be careful with some words on this board, such as cotton gin. Not that the word per se is obscene, just that we can avoid much confusion over whether it should ideally be shaken or stirred.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha