Why are we not discussing the Brad Wilcox fireside?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
AllieOop

Re: Why are we not discussing the Brad Wilcox fireside?

Post by AllieOop » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:51 am
Just goes to show the church is continuing to dodge and hide the fact the priesthood ban wasn’t “from God”, but rather from the racist Brigham Young.

Perhaps its time to throw Brother Brigham under the bus, apologize for past racism and come out and say the priesthood ban was wrong.

Then rename BYU to:
Hinckley University - Heterosexual (HUH?)
which wouldn’t be a shift from the (WHY?) and clearly outline their beliefs of one man one woman. It would cut the old polygamy anchor and reinforce their stance on same sex marriage with one simple policy change!

There’s probably plenty of space on Y mountain to spell out Heterosexual in full, right? 😅😅
LOL :lol:

Actually, I felt BY was already pretty much thrown under the bus with the essay on this, but that would finish the job!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:29 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:32 pm

And yes, saying that other religions are just playing church, that says he really thinks his religion is not just better, but that theirs is so bad as to be fake.

So everything about this talk was looking down on everybody else from his privileged position as a white male as his huge superiority complex about “we have the only true church.” The man is an arrogant a** hat. Yuck. Leave this church and you will lose everything, like your arrogance.
Alas your daughters need to get female OBGYN's! My wife loves hers.

I asked my wife to watch some of Brad's talk and about 10 minutes in she said, "Okay, that's enough. This guy never grew up. He's not "childlike" he's "childish". He's insulting and talks down to everyone."

The interesting think about him referring to other churches as "playing church" or doing pretend church is that he NEVER would have said that to their faces if the LDS church had been invited by other religions to some ecumenical counsel on the family or freedom of religion. "Playing church" is the kind of thing you say behind someone's back when you think they're not listening.

Just demonstrates how church leadership talks out of one side of their mouth at one time and the other side at another depending on their audience.

That sort of thing destroys trust and makes you wonder what your Bishop is really saying about you behind your back.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:12 pm

Brad’s childish because Mormon’s never metaphorically graduate from the third grade.

PG movies
No sleepovers
Modesty rhetoric… cOvER YoRe ShouLdeRz…
Blessing donuts to nourish and strengthen.
The thinking has been done.
Follow the prophet.

Nothing Brad said was offensive to Mormons. He was repeating Mormon Doctrine. All the BYU kids love him because he makes fun sound effects and provides the spiritual Feelzzzzzz.

John Bytheway is cut from the same cloth.

Nothing will come of this to change the church doctrines. If so Nelson would be standing up ready to provide the revelation and Lord’s will in clarifying all of this?

This will be my last comment on Brother Wilcox today. My face really hurts from all the laughing. The memes will run forever… or until the next toe of Mormonism gets shot off by someone inside.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:51 am
Then rename BYU to:
Hinckley University - Heterosexual (HUH?)
I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that a name change for the BYUs has been considered by the one person that has the power to do it but I can almost guarantee you that naming it Hinkley anything hasn't crossed his mind.

If I had to guess, and I love to guess, I'd say the new name has 20 syllables minimum. Something catchy like, the University of Jesus Christ Established by the Saints of His Restored Church-Idaho. Anything less would be a major victory for Satan, which is the church's biggest rival.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:55 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:25 am
And this from the BYU Black Student Union president:
https://kutv.com/news/local/president-b ... -3rd-video
I don’t think he needs to resign, I don’t think he needs to be fired or anything like that. I just think he needs to be aware that his words have consequences and that he needs to focus more using the scriptures in the things that he says, as opposed to just expressing his opinions.

There’s been a lot of, I guess you could say, outrage and frustration, and also a little bit of satisfaction because this is something that’s been going on for a long time, This is not the first time that he’s made those remarks, but it is the first time there’s been some of accountability for it.
Does anyone know if the BYU Black Student Union is an official organization at BYU? I never knew it existed, but I'm glad it's there.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:59 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:13 pm
If I had to guess, and I love to guess, I'd say the new name has 20 syllables minimum. Something catchy like, the University of Jesus Christ Established by the Saints of His Restored Church-Idaho. Anything less would be a major victory for Satan, which is the church's biggest rival.
Marketing department likes the aesthetics!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:18 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:13 pm
I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that a name change for the BYUs has been considered by the one person that has the power to do it but I can almost guarantee you that naming it Hinkley anything hasn't crossed his mind.

I thought you were just going to make it easy and go with: Russel M Nelson University.

Or maybe Russel N Nelson U? (N for Narcissist?

How 'bout Rebrand Rusty U?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

slk

Post by slk » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:24 pm

What a train wreck. First it's judge people by their countenace and now these racists comments. I'm still working my way through the youth fireside speech. Already I say BS to his initial comments that the percentage of people leaving now is no higher than when he was a youth. Show us some stats. Also he keeps referring to "The church." For fucks sake, I think I'll make every Mormon a deal. Stop calling it The Church and I'll advocate the new rebranding name: TCOJCOLDS. Hell, I will even stop saying Mormons.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:49 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:12 pm
Brad’s childish because Mormon’s never metaphorically graduate from the third grade.

PG movies
No sleepovers
Modesty rhetoric… cOvER YoRe ShouLdeRz…
Blessing donuts to nourish and strengthen.
The thinking has been done.
Follow the prophet.

Nothing Brad said was offensive to Mormons. He was repeating Mormon Doctrine. All the BYU kids love him because he makes fun sound effects and provides the spiritual Feelzzzzzz.

John Bytheway is cut from the same cloth.

Nothing will come of this to change the church doctrines. If so Nelson would be standing up ready to provide the revelation and Lord’s will in clarifying all of this?

This will be my last comment on Brother Wilcox today. My face really hurts from all the laughing. The memes will run forever… or until the next toe of Mormonism gets shot off by someone inside.
Agreed.
Sadly, the church is full of Brad Wilcox types, and it's also full of people more than willing to ingest every word he says.
We might keep hoping that Brad Wilcox is just an exception and that more informed, more up-to-date voices will prevail in the church.
But unfortunately, Wilcox and all his cringe-worthy statements are the rule, not the exception. JMO. -- Wndr.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am

blazerb wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:55 pm
Does anyone know if the BYU Black Student Union is an official organization at BYU? I never knew it existed, but I'm glad it's there.
Yes, and its membership resembles the people who speak for women:

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:30 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am
blazerb wrote:
Yes, and its membership resembles the people who speak for women:
that's an amazing photo and holy crap is it perfect for BYU.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:18 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:19 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:08 am

slk wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:24 pm
What a train wreck. First it's judge people by their countenace and now these racists comments. I'm still working my way through the youth fireside speech. Already I say BS to his initial comments that the percentage of people leaving now is no higher than when he was a youth. Show us some stats. Also he keeps referring to "The church." For fucks sake, I think I'll make every Mormon a deal. Stop calling it The Church and I'll advocate the new rebranding name: TCOJCOLDS. Hell, I will even stop saying Mormons.
This annoys me when they try to compare the volumes of people leaving to other time periods. It only provides a sound bite formed to shut down thought. No problems here. There’s always people that are too lazy and just want to sin. Move along you stupid people…

How about honestly looking at WHY people are leaving the church? Then address those issues.

I get they can’t fix most of the truth claim problems and throw Joseph Smith under the bus.

But by God, can they at least fix the boring, redundant, garment wearing, super lame parts that the youth clearly don’t see as meaningful?

The product sucks regardless of the truth claims.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:17 pm

blazerb wrote:
It's listed as a "Club":
https://multicultural.byu.edu/clubs

Here's the description:
"For the purposes of intellectually, socially, and culturally enriching the BYU community, the Black Student Union promotes academic achievement and intellectual pursuit, cultivates dynamic leadership, and strives to eliminate social barriers for all. Ultimately, the Black Student Union recognizes the humanity of others and encourages that they do the same."

And a link given for more information:
https://clubs.byu.edu/clubs#/bsu
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:50 pm

I wonder if there will be more folks opposing the YM presidency at future GCs, Stake Conferences, and ward conferences?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:55 am

Let the memes continue…

And don’t be offended, Brad Wilcox isn’t a General Authority according to Scott Lloyd. He’s merely a General Officer of the Church.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:29 am

-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:46 am

Here is a historic look at how the discussion of racism in Mormonism has changed over the years:

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/74 ... -of-color/
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:11 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:46 am
Here is a historic look at how the discussion of racism in Mormonism has changed over the years:

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/74 ... -of-color/
Yikes. Just suggesting a non-white apostle is heresy.

I love it when people say "I don't have a racist bone in my body," amidst racists statements. The problem is not the bones, it's the wet, squishy parts. Like the guy in that post, I am married into a non-white family. That doesn't inoculate me from racism or accusations of racism when the shoe fits. As a matter of fact, I suspect that two of my phalanges, one rib, and a metacarpal are leaning toward racist.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."