RODEO!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Korihor

RODEO!!!

Post by Korihor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Our annual ward rodeo is tomorrow. You may recall a post I made a while ago, our ward family had a tragic incident the resulted in the death of a beloved ward member. Our ward rodeo has been renamed the Bro Soandso Memorial Rodeo. It's a nice gesture, I honestly miss the guy.

Anyway... we haven't been to church for about a month. I'm a little anxious to go to the rodeo. I feel like that guy that just shows up for the good parts and not the rest. Mrs Kori feels similar. It's not that we dislike the community, we just don't the philosophies of men - mingled with scripture.

-- will update later, gotta run
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

wtfluff

Re: RODEO!!!

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Ward Rodeo?

What The Fluff?

Will there be a bucking-tapir event?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Man, why can't our ward have fun activities like this? Makes me miss the days of having ward hockey games. Now those were a blast - at least until the near bench-clearing brawl of the final game. Now that was a CANADIAN ward activity.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:17 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:23 pm
Ward Rodeo?

What The Fluff?

WTF, you kill me!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 am

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:17 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Ward Rodeo?

What The Fluff?

WTF, you kill me!
I'm serious about WTF is going on with having a WARD RODEO!!!

There's no way that's been approved via the correlated weakening ward activities committee. A rodeo sounds like loads of fun. Fun is not allowed in mormon-dom where I live...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 am

Alright - a little more story while I'm on the John.

We live in on the outskirts of Phoenix, our ward doesn't have a baseball diamond, etc. we just have a big patch of dirt. They've been doing a rodeo here annually for years. It's all a bunch of cowboy hicks anyway. Two wards actually meet in our building. The other ward is a city-SLicker group but we're the closest building.

It's a fun time. A potluck lunch to get started and they have bunch of events like leading the kids on a tame horse, catch the chickens, greased pig chase, put pants on the goat, tug of war.

Being Phoenix, it gets f'n hot, so they do it early march each year.

Anyway, we're excited to go, but we feel kind bad because we don't attend Sunday's for a while. I just don't want everyone to treat us like "that family" but it's inevitable.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 am
MalcolmVillager wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:17 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Ward Rodeo?

What The Fluff?

WTF, you kill me!
I'm serious about WTF is going on with having a WARD RODEO!!!

There's no way that's been approved via the correlated weakening ward activities committee. A rodeo sounds like loads of fun. Fun is not allowed in mormon-dom where I live...
It's been hard stepping away from the church in this ward because they're definitely not a standard correlated ward.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Korihor wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 am
Uh...thanks for the extra detail there!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Just go and have fun. I used to stress about that stuff also. You can't control what people will think or do so don't let them control you. If they ask where you have been. Just side step it and say oh I've been busy. I think it's natural for them to ask, most of them probably don't mean it to sound like they are digging for info. They may genuinely miss you being there.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Returning to report.
No big deal. A few handshakes and continuing on with business as usual. We had a lot of fun, and no sun burns!!! Our son loved it. Our daughter loved the unlimited snow cones. We stayed well after the closing ceremonies and helped take stuff down . That alone is big token of appreciation.

While I was schlepping corral panels, mrs kori chatted with some sisters while the kids played in the dirt. One sister asked "so are we going to see you at church tomorrow?" Mrs Kori replied "..... uh ... I dunno".

Most of the ward recognizes the disturbance in the force and is trying to be polite. Several have a basic understanding why we don't attend Sunday's and they carry on as normal.

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 am

Korihor wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:06 am
Any corn in it? :P

I get polite avoidance. I don't think avoidance is polite, but it's better than the notes, cookies, and showing up unannounced.