Saturday Night Dream

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Deepthinker

Saturday Night Dream

Post by Deepthinker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:57 pm

I had somewhat of a nightmare Saturday night. I dreamt that wife and I were out of town and we went to an LDS sacrament meeting. We decided that after sacrament we were going to head out, to whatever we were doing there in New Jersey.

So, I go to leave the building and can’t find my way out. I asked someone how to get out and they headed to class and ignored me. I asked another person and they didn’t know. At this point, I realized I didn’t know where my wife was, so I go looking for her. I also realize that I left my suit jacket in the chapel.

As I go to get my suit jacket I’m stopped by who I think is the bishop. He asks me to come to his office, and my wife is there as well. I ask if he has seen my suit jacket, and that I would like to leave. Question was ignored. I ask him why I’m here. Question ignored. He goes on to talk as though I haven’t even asked any questions, but I don’t know what he is saying. It just sounds like mumbling mostly. I ask if this is an LDS church. Again, the question is ignored and he keeps talking about something I don't understand.

I felt frozen in place, stuck, unable to leave. Like the dreams you have when you’re running, but you’re running in slow motion and you never seem to get away from whatever it is you’re running from.

When I woke up and realized I was headed to church, the dream all seemed to make sense. I do think I’ve been feeling like I can’t find the church exit. Like I’ve left something there (family) that keeps me there. Like I’m stuck.

Anyone else have dreams like this?

Korihor

Re: Saturday Night Dream

Post by Korihor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Crazy, sorry.
I've had dreams that felt very real and I was stuck in slow motion. Usually it wakes me up in a cold sweat.

It's only a dream, but it disturbs you for a few hours after you wake up. Then you're nervous to go to sleep again the next time.

Just take it for what it is - only a dream. Sorry you had a rough night.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:30 pm

I have never had a dream where I'm stuck in church, and cant get out, this sounds like hotel california or something ;)

I have had the dream where I keep serving my mission over and over again, even after I'm married. In my dream I leave my wife and kids to serve mission after mission, there seems to be no end to it. I even think to myself in the dream "what am I doing here, I should be home supporting my wife and kids", but for some reason, I'm expected to go, so I just keep serving over and over again.

Each time it gets harder and harder to endure the 2 year stint.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Korihor wrote:Crazy, sorry.
I've had dreams that felt very real and I was stuck in slow motion. Usually it wakes me up in a cold sweat.

It's only a dream, but it disturbs you for a few hours after you wake up. Then you're nervous to go to sleep again the next time.

Just take it for what it is - only a dream. Sorry you had a rough night.
Thanks Korihor. I was actually able to use the dream to process my feelings. In the end, I think it was helpful.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:31 pm

LostMormon wrote:I have never had a dream where I'm stuck in church, and cant get out, this sounds like hotel california or something ;)

I have had the dream where I keep serving my mission over and over again, even after I'm married. In my dream I leave my wife and kids to serve mission after mission, there seems to be no end to it. I even think to myself in the dream "what am I doing here, I should be home supporting my wife and kids", but for some reason, I'm expected to go, so I just keep serving over and over again.

Each time it gets harder and harder to endure the 2 year stint.
Yes! I've had the going back to my mission dreams before. They are awful. Like I didn't find someone I was supposed to teach and now I'll be damned for it.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 pm

I hate those dreams. I have them too.

Last night Mrs. Hagoth asked me if I would try to get my recommend renewed when it expires. We probably won't be able to finish her family names by then and she doesn't want to do the sealings with anyone else. I didn't give her a very rosy forecast about the outcome and I went to bed feeling conflicted about it.

I dreamed there was huge piece of furniture in the room, not really a bed and not really a couch but bigger than either (symbolic of the elephant in the room?) It was very dirty and I was desperately trying to clean it up because I knew my wife would be very disappointed to see it in this condition, but no matter how I tried my attempts to clean the thing just seemed to reveal more dirt. Worse yet, the seams in the upholstery kept ripping open and I could see that just under the surface there were writhing knots of huge black worms, centipedes and slugs, in contrast the the old upholstery that had once been so beautiful. From time to time people would enter the room and I would express my horror that the furniture was stuffed with worms and bugs but everyone told me that they weren't bothered by it and that I should just stitch up the holes and pretend I find a way to not think about it.

I woke up in a cold sweat.

I think the symbolism is pretty obvious.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:00 pm

I have had the kind of dream where I am looking for the way out of the church building, but the halls go n and on. I turn a corner, and more halls with classrooms, and bishop's offices, and nobody will talk to me, and I just keep searching for the way out. And I don't know where my husband is. Is he still in class, or is he trying to find the way out, or did he go off and leave me? Feels like a three year old lost from my parents.

It doesn't take Freude to figure out what that kind of dream means.