You know what my problem is?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

You know what my problem is?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

I'm not the prince of your fairy tale. I don't lead the family in righteousness, scripture reading, or rendering all things culturally mormon.

I don't serve the dead, seek out the dead, or get baptized for the dead. I don't dress up in white polyester robes, green aprons, and hats that tie with a string to my shoulder.

I don't put it to the wheel, nor do I push along, push along, push along. I don't care how many multimillion dollar movie theaters dot the globe.

I think you look silly in those robes. I don't read the ensign, go teach the neighbors, or mow my lawn in duplicate t-shirts.

You were sold a fairy tale of happiness obligated by rules, commandments, and policy. A happiness that only exists when you honestly answer yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes.

I'm not your Prince Charming in this fairy tale. I can't even answer yes to the first 4. My neighbors don't understand. My parents don't understand, your parents don't understand!

Yet strangers on the internet completely understand.

I'm sorry your fairy tale didn't come with a manual to fix Prince Charming's faith. I'm sorry your fairy tale leaders are clueless and don't have any answers.

I'm sorry your hurting.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Re: You know what my problem is?

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 am

Amen.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:45 am

Yes, I do understand what your problem is.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 am

I'm sorry to hear it sounds like your in a tough patch. Fist Bump.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

I can imagine you only dreamed of sending/saying that to sister Ryder. Big balls if you actually did.

I hope it turned out alright.

I love it though. Well said.

Journey

Post by Journey » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:59 am

I am so sorry, Red Ryder, so very sorry. Vent away, brother

Enough

Post by Enough » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Raw truth-- well said. I get it. Though I'm a lowly (but pedestal-elevated) princess, I get it. I get what you are saying. I feel the same way. (I'm always the problem)...even though, really, I am not. Neither are you.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Enough wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:14 pm
Raw truth-- well said. I get it. Though I'm a lowly (but pedestal-elevated) princess, I get it. I get what you are saying. I feel the same way. (I'm always the problem)...even though, really, I am not. Neither are you.
You're right. The church is the problem. Specifically the fairy tale version of temple marriage where you don't truly marry your spouse but rather marry the church and it's checklist of never ending expectations.

Prayers
Scripture study
Family home evening
Fasting
Tithing
Church attendance
Faith
Temple attendance
General Conference
Callings
Missions
Lessons to prepare
Mutual
HT/VT
Garments
Modesty
Word of Wisdom
Follow the prophet
Obey
Obey
Obey
Obey
Obey
Blah, blah, blah...

If you don't live up to every expectation and follow the plan of busy-ness, your marriage is an epic FAIL! No other success can compensate for failure to conform. Someone will remind you of this in General Conference next week.

I'm tired.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am
I'm not the prince of your fairy tale. I don't lead the family in righteousness, scripture reading, or rendering all things culturally mormon. I don't serve the dead, seek out the dead, or get baptized for the dead. I don't dress up in white polyester robes, green aprons, and hats that tie with a string to my shoulder. I don't put it to the wheel, nor do I push along, push along, push along. I don't care how many multimillion dollar movie theaters dot the globe. I think you look silly in those robes. I don't read the ensign, go teach the neighbors, or mow my lawn in duplicate t-shirts.

You were sold a fairy tale of happiness obligated by rules, commandments, and policy. A happiness that only exists when you honestly answer yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes. I'm not your Prince Charming in this fairy tale. I can't even answer yes to the first 4. My neighbors don't understand. My parents don't understand, your parents don't understand, yet strangers on the internet completely understand.

I'm sorry your fairy tale didn't come with a manual to fix Prince Charming's faith. I'm sorry your fairy tale leaders are clueless and don't have any answers. I'm sorry your hurting.

Wait a minute, that sounds a heck of lot like my problem too! only I do mow the lawn in duplicate t-shirts, and I do "teach", (well more like annoy) the neighbors when my HT companion forces me too, so how can this be :shock:

Are you like, one of those weird Mormons or something?

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 pm

This guy does a good job of describing what it's like to be married to a Mormon when your not part of the church.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-f ... y-a-Mormon

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

"If these people do not live up to all these promises made in this temple on this day, they will be, in my power!"
I raise my hand to the square, turn my hand with the back facing toward all that BS and make the sign of the one fingered true symbol of my current feelings of it.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:27 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm
"If these people do not live up to all these promises made in this temple on this day, they will be, in my power!"
I raise my hand to the square, turn my hand with the back facing toward all that BS and make the sign of the one fingered true symbol of my current feelings of it.
The one guy on the left is a professor at USU in Logan, if I recall correctly. Part of me wants to sucker punch him for making a movie that gave me nightmares. The other part realizes he was just a pawn.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Damn Red, I love the way you write, but I'm sorry you felt inspired in this way. Hopefully putting those words down was cathartic.

Thanks for sharing,
Zack

Random

Post by Random » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Beautiful. Like poetry. It's got to be rough for you. A big virtual hug for you and all on here who are in this position.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

AzCommando

Post by AzCommando » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:35 am

((((( Red Ryder)))))

I love you Cowboy.

When can we have lunch again? I so completely understand and fortunately we're not just strangers on the internet.

I LOVE THIS PIECE OF POETRY, I'm also a lover of Cowboy Poetry......

You are always spot on.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 am

For being the only path to true happiness in this life, the Church sure makes a lot of people miserable. I am one of them.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph