tithing shake down (settlement)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Korihor

Re: tithing shake down (settlement)

Post by Korihor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:50 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Hagoth wrote:I can only see donations for the past 9 years. Any idea why that is?.
Probably because of system changes or simply tax audit timelines, but maybe because they don't want us to realize how crazy we all are!

So sorry Hagoth!
I have no idea, but it may simply be the earliest date the database is complete to provide the info.

I'm not cutting the church any slack, but we know how fragmented their systems are with each department competing against the other. Maybe they just don't have their ducks in a row (yet?) to go back any farther for some people.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Korihor wrote:Did anyone else see that post on Reddit (sorry, no link) about somewhere outside of the USA the Bishop needs to indicate tithe status online and the SP can't authorize a temple recommend unless it's Full Tithe or Exempt?

Just a new level of control. Anyone heard about this?
Yes - I read it - the clerk enters the tithing answer (full tithe payer - or not) into a computer and he OP said that was required in order to activate his TR. It raised questions (to me) that I didn't see answered when i read it - such as:

- Does the computer (or COB, whatever) care about the amount or whether it's a full tithe, or does just going through settlement satisfy things?
- Do people who aren't paying a full tithe still get a TR? For any reason? (I am guessing the answer is "No").
- Does the church get the info from the local ward and compare it to what they see on the tithing records? Such as for those who pay privately & who have reduced their donations?

I also wonder if it's one of those brilliant ideas some local bishop came up with as a way to enforce tithing. Nothing surprises me anymore.

EDIT - it looks like Meilinkie answered this in the post just before mine. I am going to write a book: Big Brother Finds Religion.
I'm just waiting for the day when the church MLS links to your bank account or to your W2 statement so the bishop can compare what you earn with what you pay.
~2bizE

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Meilingkie wrote:Correct, if status is not FULL TITHE, Stake Presidencymember can´t activate the TR in MLS.
It was my friend´s job to do this when he was in the Presidency (till may 2015)
This makes me angry. One of the largest reasons for the protestant reformation was the Catholic church's "paying for salvation" practices. This requirement to be a full tithe payer to be "temple worthy" is ABSOLUTELY paying for salvation.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.