New Movies

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
grammaticus

New Movies

Post by grammaticus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Does anyone know if the three (relatively) new temple films are available to view anywhere? Been a long time since they've allowed me a recommend, but I still have an intellectual interest in how the presentation of the ceremony continues to evolve. I've heard interesting things about the newer films and would be interested in checking them out.

Korihor

Re: New Movies

Post by Korihor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

The best suggestion I have is to go to YouTube and search for NewNameNoah.

He's done most of the current temple videos out there, but I'm not sure if he has any of the new films. But from the limited stuff I've seen, his videos done just show an uncut recording of the endowment.

Good luck.

Personally, I think the new temple video are "meh". It's the same words, just a little more dramatic pause, excited tone and voice inflection. Like the BYU school of performing arts was given the worst script ever and the Q12 said, let's see what you can do.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:09 am

And tears are shed proving beyond a doubt that the message it trooooooooo...
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm

I would love to have a video of the pre-1990 movie. I'm sure it's in some vault somewhere since it got retired before the internet could have preserved it forever.

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm
I would love to have a video of the pre-1990 movie. I'm sure it's in some vault somewhere since it got retired before the internet could have preserved it forever.
Eve was very blond and Peter was on WKRP in Cincinnati. That's about all I remember.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

alas

Post by alas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm
There really was not much difference in the movie. Only that the newer films subtracted the Catholic looking minister who taught the congregation "the philosophies of men mingled with scripture." Now, it is Satan teaching the congregation directly instead of a hired minister. The big changes were when the film was off and they teach the signs and tokens. They took out the penalties. It used to go: sign, token, penalty. Now they just do sign and token and remind you that you are not to disclose them. There was also a change in the women's first covenant. In the pre 1990 version, she covenanted to obey her husband and in the post 1990 version she promises to hearken to her husband, which is interpreted to mean "listen and obey". In fact, when the change first happened, they did not have time to finish a new film, so the first time I saw the changes, it was just the old film with the preacher edited out. Either that, or it was so much like the old film that I could not tell the difference because, to tell the truth, it had been a few years that I had not gone to the temple at all. But a friend of mine who knew my issues with the temple told me to get my recommend because I HAD to see the changes. She of course thought that them fixing my major issues with the temple would reconvert me. But my biggest issue was left as was. My biggest issue is that I just cannot fathom a God who needs secret passwords in order to recognize his children.

So seeing the old film would just be a let down because other than the minister's small part, the films were the same. It would be seeing what they did pre 1990 when the film was off that would shock you.

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Jinx wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:35 pm
Eve was very blond and Peter was on WKRP in Cincinnati. That's about all I remember.
Wow! I was just thinking about that the other day. Gordon Jump. He wasn't very convincing as Peter. Of course, I had an imbecilic portrait of him deeply imbedded from WKRP. I always smirked as reverently as I could when he came on screen.

I'll also never forget the deep trauma I felt from making very graphic gestures about how I might die because I accidentally revealed a token outside the temple while trying to shake hands with the bishop in the foyer. Glad they dropped it . . . but I'm still scared (or is it scarred?). The blood draining from the bishops face qualified my fear. I find it interesting to juxtapose Uchtdorf's recent conf. talk on the unrighteous dominion of instilling fear to manipulate people, to the pre-mid-nineties temple threats. Big time contradiction, about-face, u-turn, or, as a recent apologist describes it, line upon line.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Jinx wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:35 pm
Yes, I went to the temple just before 1990. I even saw a live session in the Salt Lake City temple just before my mission. Satan wore a dark suit with an actual apron. It was light blue with Masonic looking images on it.

The pre-1990 movie also had no music in it. It was jarring just for that lack of context. The sets for the Garden of Eden were poorer quality than we have today.

The penalties really bothered me. And the penalties are still in the modern ceremony, but they are far less obvious. Any time the officiator tells you to hold your hand "fingers close together with the thumb extended", this was the pantomime knife use to cut your throat or disembowel yourself. The "hand in cupping shape" was to catch your guts after your ritual suicide. It was explicitly stated that each of the penalties were ways "in which life can be taken".

I remember looking around and making sure this was not some elaborate practical joke. But I looked around and saw my parents, grandparents, uncle, aunt, and an RM friend from college all doing the suicide pantomime while wearing the hat, robe, and green apron.