AWARD: "Most Sexist" in General NOMfrence

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MoPag

AWARD: "Most Sexist" in General NOMfrence

Post by MoPag » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm taking a study break to hand out a few awards.

For "Most Sexist" the award goes to......
Russell's award!!!!.png
Russell's award!!!!.png (209.38 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Russell M. Nelson!!!! Here's the quote that I feel is sexist on many levels
Recently I learned of a fearless young Laurel. She was invited to participate in a statewide competition for her high school on the same evening she had committed to participate in a stake Relief Society meeting. When she realized the conflict and explained to competition officials that she would need to leave the competition early to attend an important meeting, she was told she would be disqualified if she did so.
What did this latter-day Laurel do? She kept her commitment to participate in the Relief Society meeting. As promised, she was disqualified from the statewide competition. When asked about her decision, she replied simply, “Well, the Church is more important, isn’t it?”
The main message is f'ed up on its own. Forget about your accomplishments and dreams. Good girls give them all up for the church. But we heard worse in the Women's' session. There, we heard not one, but two stories of terminally ill women serving in RS presidencies. F'ed up.

The reason I thought he deserved the award was that he showed such an arrogant lack of understanding about the basic structure of women and girls programs within the church-the very church he is going to be running probably sooner rather than later.

Laurels are in Young Women's. They are not in Relief Society. They would not go to Relief Society meetings. Perhaps their stake had a combined RS YW event. Well he should have said so. Saying it the way he did shows that either he doesn't know or care about the programs that are set up for the non males in the church.

But I think it could go deeper than this. Why didn't anyone else catch this? It had to go through a teleprompter, or they at least could have made a modification to the online print version. What about Aunt Wendy? Does he share his GC talks with her before hand? I think she would have caught this. So either a) she was too afraid to correct her almost prophet husband, b) she corrected him and he ignored her, or c) she corrected him and he corrected her for presuming to correct him.

So congrats RMN! You deserve it!!! (I wonder who he's going to thank in his acceptance speech!!) :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Not Buying It

Re: AWARD: "Most Sexist" in General NOMfrence

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Blech.

Her poor choice is being used to pressure other girls to make poor choices. There will always be boring stake meetings in the future, but there won't always be high school competitions. If you ask me, the Church robbed her of something she can only enjoy when young.

That's a horrible story.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 pm

In my stake, and my previous one, Laurels are invited to all RS activities. They are not "combined" RS/YW. They just invite laurels supposedly to ease the transition when they turn 18. Idk if this is church wide, but the wording didn't stand out to me as ignorant.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14 pm

How it should have gone down:
When asked about her decision, she replied simply, “Well, the Church is more important, isn’t it?” Brothers and Sisters, as a General Authority of this church I am here to tell you that the answer to this young lady's question is a resounding "NO!" No church meeting is more important than the things that make you happy and make your life worth living.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:14 pm
How it should have gone down:
When asked about her decision, she replied simply, “Well, the Church is more important, isn’t it?” Brothers and Sisters, as a General Authority of this church I am here to tell you that the answer to this young lady's question is a resounding "NO!" No church meeting is more important than the things that make you happy and make your life worth living.

This made me chuckle.

Could you write this in to the ensign as a suggested "possible other" version?
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi