email from my a leader in my HPG asking me to account for my whereabouts

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
redjay

email from my a leader in my HPG asking me to account for my whereabouts

Post by redjay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 am

after being absent for various reasons over the last month

I receive this today by email

Hi Redjay

Can you please confirm your attendance at a Priesthood class anywhere on the 9th. and 23rd. of this month.

Kind Regards,
Inquisitive Nice Guy.

This did not go down well with me. I simply responded:

Yes

Thank you

Redjay

I am very aware of being over-sensitive and blowing a gasket on some unsuspecting church member who is merely 'doing their job'.

But thought I'd vent. Any more questions like this I will be a bit more assertive. While trying to remain polite - I genuinely like 99% of my ward.

I've never been asked to account for my presence in PH before. Feels rather controlling, though happy for someone to say 'no it's cool'

Rarrr!
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Vlad the Emailer

Re: email from my a leader in my HPG asking me to account for my whereabouts

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 am

redjay wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 am
I've never been asked to account for my presence in PH before. Feels rather controlling...
Me either. Is TSCC getting more controlling? Like that will help?!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:33 am

That is one of the weirdest emails I have seen in my life. Unless your ward resembles a mega-church, shouldn't they have an inkling of who was there? I have to admit, I would extend this email chain and send back, "why do you want to know?" And I would be genuinely curious as to why they need that information. Is it to make sure you're going for your TR? Do you get a door prize?

Enquiring minds want to know!
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 am

Yeah, that seems weird. I was under the impression that the role was simply for budgeting purposes. As SS president we didn't have a budget but we still took the role and did absolutely nothing with it. We talked about trying to get teachers to use the roles to know who they could help; maybe that's what happened?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am

Wow. I've never seen that before. I have been part of "hey, I've missed you" or "checking in with you!" Kinds of emails unfortunately :(

Random

Post by Random » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm

redjay wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 am
Can you please confirm your attendance at a Priesthood class anywhere on the 9th. and 23rd. of this month.
Oh. my. gosh. This sounds so bizarre to me. As a tbm, I probably would have thought the guy had the social skills of a robot. Now, it sounds extremely bizarre. It made me bark out a laugh, even though I am sure it is for his records (if you attend elsewhere, they can mark you as present).

I simply responded:

Yes

Thank you
:lol: :lol: Love, love, love your response!
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:46 pm

In my mind, your response of "yes" was saying, "Yes, I can confirm, but I'm not necessarily going to."
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:42 pm

This sounds like someone trying to fill out the class rolls before a record update rather than a ward council spy mission. Too funny.

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Here comes the commitment pattern.

Wouldn't it be wild if you had responded "F--- You."
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

This is so weird and funny. There are like 50 ways I would respond to this demeaning inquisition...
1) I have been spending priesthood with the Gunners and Manchester United on Sundays. Thank You.
2) I was just recently released from hospital after spending over a week on the floor of my home incapacitated. No one bothered to check up on me in person, only send me bloody emails.
3) I have been volunteering at the homeless shelter on Sundays and find it much more rewarding.
4) Thank you for reaching out to me. What were you doing on the 9th and 23rd?
5) Over the last 30 years, I have accrued a significant number of holiday and sick days from the many hours of service I have provided to the church. I have been on vacation.
~2bizE

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:11 am

Nobody from the ward has my cell or email. Its nice knowing they can only pester me to my face.

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:42 pm
This sounds like someone trying to fill out the class rolls before a record update rather than a ward council spy mission. Too funny.
Thanks for pouring reason on this - I'm trying not to be over-sensitive!

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

5) Over the last 30 years, I have accrued a significant number of holiday and sick days from the many hours of service I have provided to the church. I have been on vacation.

:lol:

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

redjay wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 am
2bizE wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 pm

:lol:
That's awesome. But they would make you fill out the time off request and have it approved by your priesthood leader before the time could be used.

Which actually could take a long time for approval because (he) the priesthood leader would have to pray and fast and possibly attend the temple in his decision to approve or deny the time off request :roll:

I would have to file a long term disability claim. My shelf got broken and it's not repairable.

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 am
Yeah, that seems weird. I was under the impression that the role was simply for budgeting purposes. As SS president we didn't have a budget but we still took the role and did absolutely nothing with it. We talked about trying to get teachers to use the roles to know who they could help; maybe that's what happened?
Having been a finance clerk, a membership clerk, and a ward clerk, I can tell you that the only roll that has anything to do with the ward budget is the count of the number of people in sacrament meeting. No other roll plays any impact.

Oh, and that's a crazy level of scrutiny being applied to OP's attendance. I haven't attended since before Christmas and guess how many people have come to check on me, etc.? 0, none, nada. I'm very pleased by that fact.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:42 pm
This sounds like someone trying to fill out the class rolls before a record update rather than a ward council spy mission.
Yes. I'm sure this is what was going on. They are required to report a list of those who don't attend at least once a month so that they can know who to worry about. (You! They need to worry about YOU apparently. :-) ) Although this was a pretty insensitive way to do their job, I bet they didn't mean to be rude.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.