Lee Strobel -- case for Christ

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Rob4Hope

Lee Strobel -- case for Christ

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Anyone have an opinion about the book Strobel wrote, or the documentary out there?

I saw the movie that just came out, and it was interesting. I didn't really like the ending and all the "happy tears" and stuff...seemed cheesy. BUT!!!....the movie got me thinking.

I openly hope there is something more to the Jesus story than he was "a good guy".

Random

Re: Lee Strobel -- case for Christ

Post by Random » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:11 pm

I wonder if anyone has read the book or seen the documentary since you first posted this. The title is familiar, but I'd don't think I've read the book, and I know I haven't seen the documentary.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 am

I read about half the book and then other things cropped up. His contention regarding the writing of the New Testament is much closer to my own beliefs. And recent documentaries I've seen support that the books of the New Testament were written earlier than the average doubter thinks.

I think part of the reason I stopped reading was because I already believe the books to be quite valid with very few errors. But I do intend to finish. There's more there than just making the case for the validity of the scriptures.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm

A quick search reveals that Strobel is very unreliable. His attempts at a scholarly support for Christ results from interviewing very biased experts from only one side. The claims he makes are not widely accepted by scholars and the evidence. He significantly distorts his own conversion story. Basically, it's an apologetic work and like all apologetic works it is very selective in evidence and authorities that support the desired outcome. The goal is to comfort believers that someone has thought about these difficult problems and still believes. It's been a very lucrative career for him, much more so than the one left.

How “Case for Christ” author Lee Strobel fabricated his best-selling story

The Case Against 'The Case for Christ': A study in Christian apologetics

The Case For "The Case Against The Case For Christ"
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")