Joseph vs HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

Joseph vs HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:41 am

So a few days ago a biography was published of HM Queen Juliana and it mentioned a lot of naughty stuff about her husband, Bernhard.

Well, the name might ring a Bell.
Founder of the WWF World Wide Fund for nature.
Founder of the Bilderberg-conferences.
Lockheed-slushfund affair.
King George VI said of him: it was the only man who really enjoyed the war.

A very colorful life, and upon his death He had an interview published admitting He had been naughty. He didn't have 4 daughters, but at least 6.

Now my TBM MIL Used to say that only righteous men get many daughters, this man is an statistical outlier then.
She mentioned the biography which states He sexually molestee many teenage Girls who visited the palace, even walking into the guest bedrooms and helping himself to the Nice young and fresh 16yo teen who was a guest of one of his daughters.
The Governess of the young ladies barricaded herself in her bedroom after one uninvited visit.

MIL was shocked, then I said: just like the Prophet Joseph Smith.
MIL was shocked again, and replied: but He was a Prophet
Yes mom, and Bernhard was a prince, so everyone also keeps the mouth shut.

Some people just never, never learn to look and think. arghhhhh
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Corsair

Re: Joseph vs HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands

Post by Corsair » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:12 am

Will this release of scandalous information about HRH Prince Bernhard cause a wave of Dutch disaffection and lead many former Dutch citizens over to a country with righteous leaders like France or Italy? (I'm not sure I could possibly load any more satire into this one sentence)

So what is the difference between the reactions to Joseph Smith and other political leaders like Prince Bernhard, or Prince Charles, or Silvio Berlusconi, or Pierre Trudeau, or Bill Clinton, or Dominique de Villepin? My theory is that only one man in the preceding sentence claimed direct revelation to the source of divine righteousness of the universe. The expectations on a prophet are set sky-high from the start with the express encouragement of his successors. LDS leadership built their own straw man and are affronted when anyone else attacks it.

American students do get to learn the Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and had relations with Sally Hemmings. Talking about the fact that John F. Kennedy was a notorious womanizer does not get you ejected from his political party. Acknowledging Abraham Lincoln's battle with depression does not diminish any other political accomplishments or failures. Instead, the failings and challenges of these men can be acknowledged as a cautionary morality tale and serves as a reminder about keeping hero worship in check. This does not commonly happen when Mormons talk about their founding prophets. I have been angrily chastised for mentioning unflattering information on early church leaders when simply in private conversation with other adults who appear to have a very stiff, brittle testimony.

Meilingkie

Re: Joseph vs HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:03 am

Nope my friendly pirate.
But for one reason or another a Prophet can do bad things and not get a bad rap.
And a Prince does bad things, and his reputation goes to shits.
Same as for a normal citizen......
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"