Can you please answer this question?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
The Beast

Re: Can you please answer this question?

Post by The Beast » Sun May 07, 2017 1:18 pm

trophywife26.2 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm
I'm on the rolls, but not in the chairs for 2 years now. Don't plan on changing either status.
Same for me.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Random

Post by Random » Sun May 14, 2017 6:49 pm

NOWmormon wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 6:26 pm
As I begin this journey on NOM, I would like to know who my new friends are.
Can you let me know if you are a current "member of record" or no.
Thank you.
No. The policy change denying babies blessings and denying children baptisms pushed me over the edge.
At the same time, I (unlike many on here) believe the BofM is from God, that JS did not practice polygamy (was thrown under the bus by BY and his cohorts), and a few other things. (I explained my views when I joined the original NOM site and was treated very graciously, which I appreciated and still appreciate.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 am

What's interesting about your question is how it felt like a punch in the gut after reading. Mormonism is a very rigid hierarchy, and status is a very important part of the culture. We were trained to judge ourselves and others according to the positions we or our spouses have held, and adherence to the unwritten order of things.

So when we are introduced, we automatically rattle off a history and resume to show our status, or quality, in relation to others. Were we born inn the church? Are we from Utah or the mission field? What GAs are we related to? Mission? Callings? Parents callings? BYU? Eagle scout? Were you an AP? Just how high status are you?

So the question felt like, "I want to know if I'm dealing with quality people here", in the same way that Holland, Ballard, and Oaks like to personally attack critics by asking "Look at who you're following, these low status good for nothings, when you could be following us."

I know you didn't mean it this way.

But I remember being able to rattle off a high status resume, and I've traded that for essentially no status. So while it used to feel good, now it feels awful. I'd like to just say that the person I am no longer has anything to do with the church, and it never really has, even though I once believed that it did.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

NOWmormon

Post by NOWmormon » Mon May 15, 2017 5:49 am

oliver_denom wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 am
What's interesting about your question is how it felt like a punch in the gut after reading. Mormonism is a very rigid hierarchy, and status is a very important part of the culture. We were trained to judge ourselves and others according to the positions we or our spouses have held, and adherence to the unwritten order of things.

So when we are introduced, we automatically rattle off a history and resume to show our status, or quality, in relation to others. Were we born inn the church? Are we from Utah or the mission field? What GAs are we related to? Mission? Callings? Parents callings? BYU? Eagle scout? Were you an AP? Just how high status are you?

So the question felt like, "I want to know if I'm dealing with quality people here", in the same way that Holland, Ballard, and Oaks like to personally attack critics by asking "Look at who you're following, these low status good for nothings, when you could be following us."

I know you didn't mean it this way.

But I remember being able to rattle off a high status resume, and I've traded that for essentially no status. So while it used to feel good, now it feels awful. I'd like to just say that the person I am no longer has anything to do with the church, and it never really has, even though I once believed that it did.
Thank you - I appreciate your comment.
The reason I asked the question was because I was curious what mix of folks were on this site (I also asked the same question on a few other sites as well).
Overall, it appears about half of the users are a "member of record" the other half are no longer a member, plus there are a few nevermo's.

I was not asking to judge at all, was just curious.