Lightning Survey: Before the 2014 Plural Marriage Essay, did you know that Joseph Smith practiced it HIMSELF?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOWmormon

Lightning Survey: Before the 2014 Plural Marriage Essay, did you know that Joseph Smith practiced it HIMSELF?

Post by NOWmormon » Wed May 03, 2017 6:04 am

Yes or No?
I am looking for as many responses as possible today.
I will provide context for this survey tomorrow.

crossmyheart

Re: Lightning Survey: Before the 2014 Plural Marriage Essay, did you know that Joseph Smith practiced it HIMSELF?

Post by crossmyheart » Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 am

yes.

Born in Utah. Family wedding receptions were held at the Beehive House. Knew all about JS, BY- and growing up, family was always talking about the polygamists that lived near the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Red Ryder

Re: Lightning Survey: Before the 2014 Plural Marriage Essay, did you know that Joseph Smith practiced it HIMSELF?

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 am

No, not from correlated materials.
Yes, from the internet (circa 2005) before the essays were ever written.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed May 03, 2017 6:52 am

I knew there were plural wives, but as far as I knew it was just so that women/families could be sealed to him and that was it - no hanky panky.

Edit: So far when I knew what I knew, I was the same as Unendowed below. I did find out before the essay, but from non LDS sources.
Last edited by Vlad the Emailer on Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

I knew about JS polygamy prior to the essay but not from church approved sources.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 03, 2017 7:22 am

Yes. I learned some basics on my mission. I thought it was only a few women. I learned the full extent in '12-'13, ironically from Family Search.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed May 03, 2017 7:25 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 am
No, not from correlated materials.
Yes, from the internet (circa 2005) before the essays were ever written.
+1
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 am

Yes, but not from any church materials or speeches. I found out doing my own research on the internet.

(I'm embarrassed to admit that I bought the old "Joseph only was married to a few old widows whose husbands had been killed by those evil mobs"....and even then I only had a vague impression that he'd lived polygamy.)

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Wed May 03, 2017 7:53 am

Yes, was taught in seminary. Did not know how many, that it was behind Emma's back, that women were already married, that he was coercing children....

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 am

No. I didn't learn about it until 2015, and I didn't initially learn about it from the essay. But I soon came across the essay after learning about.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed May 03, 2017 8:25 am

NOWmormon, I created a poll for you. It's easy to do. PM me or most anyone else if you need help on how to do it.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

grammaticus

Post by grammaticus » Wed May 03, 2017 8:28 am

Yes - from non-LDSCorp-produced souces.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed May 03, 2017 9:04 am

Yes - I've always read a lot, all kinds of things, so I can't say exactly when I learned it. I read Mormon Enigma around 2006/2007 - so at least since then, possibly before, I don't really remember.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 am

Yes, I knew. My mom hated polygamy, but she had some rationalizations for JS. She talked to me about it occasionally. I did not learn he had sex with women other than Emma until I got to the MTC in the late 80's. I knew he married the daughter of Heber C. Kimball, but did not learn she was 14 until I was in an institute class in the 90's. By that point, I was married and did not have much incentive to investigate. So, to my shame, I knew about it but did not let it bother me for about 20 years.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 am

Yep, I knew from reading tons of material in the 1990s. When a good friend asked me about it the early 2000s, I said polygamy was allowed by God because he knew Joseph was a bit of a horndog, and needed "permission" to have other sexual experiences. Now, I just say Joseph was a player, full stop.

What I didn't know, though, was polyandry, Fanny and the teenagers. Reading Bushman was a huge weight on the old shelf - the Fanny story in particular was disturbing. Marrying a 16 year old without the sealing power? That's when I knew for sure it was just about sex.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 am

yes
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am

Yes, I knew about it. But it was only because I was already a non-believer and had gone through the usual apostate phase of intense study of LDS history. I certainly never heard about it in church, seminary, family home evening, or any other LDS controlled setting.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed May 03, 2017 10:33 am

Yes, I learned about it as a teen, and it always bothered me a lot. But I didn't know until about 2010 about polyandry and coercing young teenagers. When I learned those things, I began to lose my testimony of Mormonism. I tried to make it work and attended lots of meetings, and flew under the radar as much as possible until the atrocious, disgusting, immoral JS polygamy essay came out. I still cannot believe they defended JS using his power to be a pedophile, send men on missions and hook up with their wives, shack up with Fanny and others before the "revelation", and lie to his wife and everyone else about it. Oh, and engage in smear campaigns to ruin the reputations of girls/women who refused the ba$tard. They actually had the freaking nerve to say JS did all that because GOD commanded it????? LDS inc had the chance to try start doing the right thing by admitting that JS's adultery/pedophilia was a mistake, but nope.

After that, I stopped trying. And I need to do a post about this, but I decided to tell my kids how I felt too, even though my husband was and is TBM.

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Wed May 03, 2017 11:55 am

I was an avid reader as a kid and I devoured The Work and the Glory at one point. So I knew about the sanitized version at least. You know, the version without the sordid details and Joseph's part in it portrayed as a very reluctant but ultimately obedient son of God.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes. Knew all about it. Not one word of the essay was fresh information for me. Polygamy was an established, painful, someday fact.

Besides, tell pretty much anyone outside the church you're Mormon and their response will contain the word "polygamy/polygamists" somewhere in the phrase. They will then regale you with everything they know about Mormons and polygamy, and it's usually everything. Except for the fact it's been repealed. For some reason, they never seem to know that. I usually have to get out the D & C and read the manifestos for them. They still won't stop talking about polygamy. Let's face it. It's some of the best, juiciest, most salacious gossip there is. Tell them we've stopped practicing, their eyes glaze over.

Yup. Definitely knew about polygamy. BTW, learned about it at church, because I'd hear about it "from the world". Might as well hear about it from the source. Kind of like one of your parents getting ahead of the news they're having an affair.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren