How did you find the new site?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
ThirdTier

Re: How did you find the new site?

Post by ThirdTier » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:18 pm

After checking the old URL for the 100th time, I checked Reddit. Thank you all who have brought it back!!! Reddit is good for spreading disaffected Mormon news but I really don't like the predominant tone there. I dunno maybe it's just because I'm not a millennial.
"I wish I was special" Radiohead, Creep

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:48 pm

desertrat posted to our local Facebook support group. Thanks Desertrat!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:16 pm

MDB via Google. The calling Thayne thread.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:16 am

ThirdTier wrote:After checking the old URL for the 100th time, I checked Reddit. Thank you all who have brought it back!!! Reddit is good for spreading disaffected Mormon news but I really don't like the predominant tone there. I dunno maybe it's just because I'm not a millennial.
It's not just the tone. The pace of discussion on Reddit has been likened to a drive-by shooting. I have seen some very kind reception to believers openly posting on reddit/r/exmormon where they did want honest, polite answers. And it's warmly gratifying to see members of the ExJW group cross posting in commiseration of similar issues of a faith transition. But I also appreciate a more thoughtful pace and longer discussion format on NOM. So that's why Red Ryder, Hagoth, and I put it back together. I have to give a lot of credit to Thayne for navigating the tone of the old site into something good and resilient that led us to re-congregate at NOM 2.0.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:47 am

Red Ryder wrote:What's this Facebook thing I keep hearing about?
It's a blessing developed by heathens for the benefit of the one true church. God shared an extra few precious minutes of Holy Ghost time with some guy so he would get the inspiration to create a free internet based membership monitoring tool for the Strengthening Church Members Committee. God works in mysterious ways, usually to the financial benefit of his celestial corporation.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:01 am

I found it because it was mentioned on r/NOMforum. Reddit and NOM scratch different itches for me, and ignoring format differences they have different tones and community. r/exmormon is like a football stadium, thousands of people cheering, booing, gasping at bad and amazing plays, people arguing over ref calls and maybe debating with the stranger next to them if the '84 line up was the best there ever was. NOM is more like a family reunion where people form into clusters to talk about something and you float between those clusters and encounter people you know well and get introduced to the occasional third cousin thrice removed.

It's not that NOM is better, or reddit is worse, they're different and serve different purposes.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:14 am

Some call it luck, others call it faith, I call it destiny!

So glad to be back!

document

Post by document » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:26 am

I found out through Goodboy. :)

The Montanan

Post by The Montanan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 am

Just found this site on Google. I was wondering where it went to.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am

I think red rider posted on MD and that is how I saw it.
~2bizE

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:30 am

Red Ryder wrote:What's this Facebook thing I keep hearing about?

Does anyone know how to get ahold of wonderment, the running mom, and so many others? We still have to find about 4900 lost NOMs.

I could put it in the ward bulletin. :)

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Maybe having a Star of NOM that Wise Men from the East may follow bearing gifts the Pengi consisting of Diet Coke, Pad Thai, and Baklava.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:00 pm

Someone using the name Wonderment has posted on fMh. I don't go there much these days, so I don't know if it's the same person or if they still frequent that site.

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:32 pm

kishkumen / korihor / whatever his name is texted me about it. Otherwise I would have continued to look at the blue screen of death on the old page every week or so when I went to check it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:Someone using the name Wonderment has posted on fMh. I don't go there much these days, so I don't know if it's the same person or if they still frequent that site.
Is she super polite and full of great wisdom? If so that could be her? Somebody needs to reach out to her please!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Monomo

Post by Monomo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 pm

azflyer wrote: Otherwise I would have continued to look at the blue screen of death on the old page every week or so when I went to check it.
Haha! Me too. Sad times. . .

TheRunningmom

Post by TheRunningmom » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 am

Finally found you all! I got a notification on Tapatalk of a chat going on. I scrolled up and saw I missed a ton of chatter, including the new address. I've missed NOM so much! I signed up a few days ago, waited for an activation email that never came, then found I was able to log in anyway.

So happy to be here :D

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:56 am

TheRunningmom wrote:Finally found you all! I got a notification on Tapatalk of a chat going on. I scrolled up and saw I missed a ton of chatter, including the new address. I've missed NOM so much! I signed up a few days ago, waited for an activation email that never came, then found I was able to log in anyway.

Yay! You made it :)

I'm so glad to see you here!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:14 am

TheRunningmom wrote:Finally found you all! I got a notification on Tapatalk of a chat going on. I scrolled up and saw I missed a ton of chatter, including the new address. I've missed NOM so much! I signed up a few days ago, waited for an activation email that never came, then found I was able to log in anyway.

We can call off the search party now!

Welcome back!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:18 am

Jinx wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Jinx wrote:There's a New Order Mormon Facebook group that I joined with the specific purpose of finding you guys.
There is a New Order Mormon Facebook group? I may have to do some lurking there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewOrderMormon/ It's a closed group but they let me in immediately. Not too many people in the group but some good discussion.

I am Facebook friends with a couple people from the old site. When the old site went down, I chatted with a couple former members.They recommended the Facebook NOM group. There were some interesting discussions, but not much. It could be a few days between posts. It was there that someone mentioned the new site. It took me a few days to register and post due to being very busy at the time.

Count the heads, I'm back baby.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams