Mom's question. "What was your very first question/doubt?" My response.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
WdSkate

Mom's question. "What was your very first question/doubt?" My response.

Post by WdSkate » Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am

The first main issue was after I read the Church essay on polygamy in Kirtland and Nauvoo.
When I read that I had the idea in my mind that polygamy was always living together under one roof and one priesthood leader like Brigham Young caring for his wives and families. After reading the essay I learned a few things I didn't know.
-Joseph Smith practiced polygamy and had 30-35 wives.
-He also practiced polyandry, marrying other mens wives.
-Polygamy was actually illegal in Illinois.
-Joseph instructed people to lie about him practicing polygamy.
-Joseph Smith married a "almost 15 year old" (as the essay puts it, a dishonest way to avoid saying the real age of 14) when he was 37 years old. This age difference actually wasn't common in the old days. (Many sources can show this.)
-In Jacob 2:23-24 it condemns polygamy by giving the example of David and Solomon saying that what they did was an abomination before the Lord. Then in D&C 132:1 says, "I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines"
How could the Lord say that it was ok for David and Solomon in the Doctorine and Convents but in the Book of Mormon he said that it wasn't ok?
I thought about these things for over a year and studied more about polygamy from all the church approved sources. I never could feel right about it.i realize that we don't understand everything about the gospel and why God would need polygamy restored. But the two reasons I always understood didn't fit right either.
1) Polygamy was intended to raise up seed when there weren't many men. This didn't work because as far as we know Joseph Smith didn't have children with other women yet he was about to with Emma.
2) All the gospel had to be restored and this was something that was practiced in the Old Testament. The problem with that was that not everything was restored. For example sacrificing animals wasn't restored. The law of Moses was fulfilled by Christ so there shouldn't be a need to restore the Old law.
3) Taking care of old widows or others. Most of Joseph's plural marriages ended in separation or divorce.
After much prayer I still couldn't find a reason why polygamy would of been accepted by God.
This is one issue that has hundreds of things wrong within the issue. And this is just one of the issues. I have about 30 things that all have other sub-issues.
I don't expect to get answers to all my questions, I understand that that isn't how faith works. One night I was in a hotel room for work and I was reading the scriptures looking for answers. And I read the verse in Matt. 11:30. My Yoke is Easy and my burden is light. I didn't feel like the burden was light or that the yoke was easy. Most days I felt inadequate as a member of the Church. I felt guilt for sins of omission. I knelt down and prayed and I heard a clear answer that the Church is good but it's not the only true Church.
I love the Church and it is good. It does teach so much good and has given​ me a foundation of morals and Christ centered teachings. But I don't believe that God or Jesus are found only in the LDS Church. That other Churches have truth and error but the LDS Church along with it's truth has error as well. Ultimately, we all need Jesus Christ and the gift of the atonement that he has given to everyone! His atonement is finished and he asks us to believe on Him. If you go through and read the New Testament you will see a different type of Jesus. A true Saviour that came to be an example, to teach us how to be like Him and ultimately to die for our sins so that we can overcome sin and death. My testimony of that and the personal relationship I have with him has grown deeper since just accepting his gospel for as simple as it is laid out in the New Testament.
I love you and Dad both so much. I would hate something the come between our relationship and I hope that ultimately we can become closer through a mutual understanding of our differences and but more importantly through our commonalities.
Again, Love you!

Link https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Mom's question. "What was your very first question/doubt?" My response.

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:28 am

That's a nice coherent and gentle letter, well done.

Much more effective persuasion than sending the CES letter and demanding they read it. That would be traumatizing.

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:00 pm

WdSkate wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am
-In Jacob 2:23-24 it condemns polygamy by giving the example of David and Solomon saying that what they did was an abomination before the Lord. Then in D&C 132:1 says, "I, the Lord, justified my servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as also Moses, David and Solomon, my servants, as touching the principle and doctrine of their having many wives and concubines"
How could the Lord say that it was ok for David and Solomon in the Doctorine and Convents but in the Book of Mormon he said that it wasn't ok?
Blacks and the priesthood/temple exclusion was probably one of my earliest problems. Learning that the endowment had been changed before I went through and learning what the penalties had been was also really early for me. The more I learned, the more problems kept appearing. Book of Abraham, BoM historicity, polygamy, etc.

I struggled with it all for a long time. I don't know if I ever really expected answers, but I struggled to make sense of everything. When I finally read those two scriptures in conjunction with each other, I realized that the church wasn't ever going to be able to satisfactorily address any problematic issue. God can't even seem to get his reasoning straight. God wasn't directing this. Why in the world should I expect a bunch of old, company yes-men to answer any questions?
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:01 am

WdSkate wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am
I never could feel right about it.
Don't forget the ultimate cop-out answer: Joseph did it to test your faith.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 am

What a well thought out, yet brief letter you wrote WD. My first impulse was to overwhelm people with all my various issues. There were a lot piled up before my shelf broke. I think your letter is excellent, because it doesn't say too much. It's a seed, not a redwood.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.