A Week Without G's

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Snowdrop

A Week Without G's

Post by Snowdrop » Mon May 08, 2017 3:09 pm

I had a bit of a meltdown a while ago after trying (unsuccessfully) to get some g's that actually fit. (In a nutshell - they are uncomfortable, ill fitting, ridiculous, patriarchal relics of a practice that makes my skin crawl!) This spurred me into the action of ditching them for the past week. It's been interesting and there is more of a learning curve to this than I had anticipated! These are some brief observations I've made this past week:

Pros
* Much more comfortable in humidity.
* My underwear isn't hiking itself up past my waist.
* Skinny jeans. I love the way they look now without that line right above my knee.
* V-neck tees no longer required me to pay close attention to which set of underthings I'm wearing that day!
* Hiking is a breeze without an extra layer of clothing!
* Sleeping with a sleeveless top is super comfortable. I didn't even realize how much extra fabric under my arms bothered me until this last week.
* DH seems to enjoy it...
* I feel feminine.
* Dude, did you know that you can wear whatever color you want? There's a world beyond white! (But seriously, the freedom of choice is awesome.)

Cons
* My bra is mildly irritating my skin without that extra layer in between - maybe I need a different size or to wait longer than a week to pass judgement.
* Also need to wash bras more frequently and/or buy more.
* DH is sad about it but hasn't said anything outright.
* Not sure I'm ready to visit my parents or church without them.
* Umm...
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

alas

Re: A Week Without G's

Post by alas » Mon May 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Go try on some new bras. Avoid lace (scratchy) and look for ones that are soft on the inside. The fit is also slightly different without that extra layer of fabric, so you may need a different size. And yes, the bra has to be washed like every day, but then garment tops never have to be washed, so you more than break even. After a few weeks without, you won't be able to remember any advantage to wearing them. Even the extra layer in cold weather can be a figured out. For instance, I wear a Tshirt under button shirts. The Tshirt can peek out at the cleavage for extra color.

document

Post by document » Mon May 08, 2017 3:35 pm

I don't have anything to contribute except congratulations. I remember my first week without garments (and my first week with). The period of adjustment is interesting, but after now 3 years without garments, I don't even notice anymore.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Nice lists! At first I worried all the time people would notice. The only time I think about G's now is when I see other women in theirs and feel grateful I'm not.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Snowdrop wrote:* I feel feminine.
+1

As a man, this is one of the most attractive things ever! You can tell when a woman feels feminine and confident and she knows it, shows it, and owns it.

Congrats on the forward progress. May your laundry service be overshadowed by your increased confidence and femininity.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 pm

I'm still sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

People say Mormonism is a cult.

Having to ditch institutional underwear and then feel pain, remorse, conflict, and all other emotions just proves what a mind melt this so called religion is.

$&@!?%# it!

Tonight I'm going to have to leave the room when the wife changes into her pajamas and sulk over the daily visual intimacy the church has stolen from my marriage.

Then I'll have to silently cry myself to sleep while I spoon with Heavenly Father, Jesus, Joseph Smith, Thomas Monson, the 14 other Apostles, the Stake President, the Bishop, and my wife in my own bed!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Snowdrop wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:09 pm
Cons
* My bra is mildly irritating my skin without that extra layer in between - maybe I need a different size or to wait longer than a week to pass judgement.
* Umm...
Hi Snowdrop- DH and I packed away our gees last spring so I understand what you are going through. I found the irritation of the bra band against my skin passed within a few weeks. Putting up with it was worth it once the hot weather arrived and I didn't have to deal with a sweaty layer of gees under my bra band! I ended up buying more bras so I could wash fuller loads. It was a great excuse to buy some fun colours after 25 years of only white! I still feel odd around TBM family without them but i plan what I wear carefully so no one asks about my undies. So weird that could be a topic of conversation.... :roll:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 pm
I'm still sitting here shaking my head in disbelief.

People say Mormonism is a cult.

Having to ditch institutional underwear and then feel pain, remorse, conflict, and all other emotions just proves what a mind melt this so called religion is.

$&@!?%# it!

Tonight I'm going to have to leave the room when the wife changes into her pajamas and sulk over the daily visual intimacy the church has stolen from my marriage.

Then I'll have to silently cry myself to sleep while I spoon with Heavenly Father, Jesus, Joseph Smith, Thomas Monson, the 14 other Apostles, the Stake President, the Bishop, and my wife in my own bed!!
I have always had a thing for underwear. For some men it doesn't seem to be a problem, but it bothers me very much that a cult has removed that turn on for me.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon May 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Snowdrop wrote:
I had a bit of a meltdown a while ago after trying (unsuccessfully) to get some g's that actually fit. (In a nutshell - they are uncomfortable, ill fitting, ridiculous, patriarchal relics of a practice that makes my skin crawl!) This spurred me into the action of ditching them for the past week. It's been interesting and there is more of a learning curve to this than I had anticipated! These are some brief observations I've made this past week:

Pros
* Much more comfortable in humidity.
* My underwear isn't hiking itself up past my waist.
* Skinny jeans. I love the way they look now without that line right above my knee.
* V-neck tees no longer required me to pay close attention to which set of underthings I'm wearing that day!
* Hiking is a breeze without an extra layer of clothing!
* Sleeping with a sleeveless top is super comfortable. I didn't even realize how much extra fabric under my arms bothered me until this last week.
* I feel feminine.
* Dude, did you know that you can wear whatever color you want? There's a world beyond white! (But seriously, the freedom of choice is awesome.)

Cons
* Umm...
I think I'd spend more time on my wife's side of the bed if she didn't wear Gs. Out of curiosity, why do you have to wear only white bras? Don't you wear your bra over your Gs?
~2bizE

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Mon May 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:43 pm
Snowdrop wrote: I feel feminine.
+1
+2

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 pm

My favorite thing about ditching the Gs is finally getting some underwear that gives support for athletics. I also used to feel wrong for ditching them when I wanted to train without a shirt, and riding my bike out to train without them, even though it was logical since I couldn't undress privately once I got there. Because you really don't want to do 10 rounds of Thai boxing with a shirt and garments on in 100 degree weather. So getting to go shirtless in the summer is pretty much an amazing part of bailing on them.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Tue May 09, 2017 7:02 am

Thanks for the support and advice! Fortunately, I live in an area where Mormon concentration is low and I spend relatively little time with people who would feel the need to judge my underwear choices. (What a strange thing to write in seriousness.)

Sorry for the frustration, RR! I'm just glad that there are people on the interwebs who understand the bizarre situation. Good luck!

I think that attraction on both sides is exponentially increased be the wearing of properly fitting underthings. I'd love for my guy to make the switch.

I wore my bra over. Me wearing white was personal choice based on my own oddities; I don't like white as it looks sterile and any color next to it looks either childish or garish. I spend way too much time thinking about colors.

I am certainly looking forward to a less miserable summer in the Midwest this year!
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 am

My body temperature seems to run hot (with lots of sweating), and every summer I face the question "Walk around the house in my garment top, or take it off and just wear a t-shirt?"

One thing I've found is that although the extra layer on top kept me too warm, it also absorbed my sweat, especially my underarm sweat. So how do I deal with that just wearing one layer?

The bottoms have never really been a problem for me. I like the shape and cut, as well as the fit (except for sports). Is there any underwear like it, but with different colors and materials? I don't know. The last time I had to shop for underwear was never, because my mom always bought my hanes briefs when I was a kid.

I tend to have a reluctance to put them off, because it's one of the last vestiges of Mormonism for me. I don't want to lose that past completely.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Tue May 09, 2017 7:24 am

Being without Gs has been marvelous for the last nine months or so. I threw every single one in the garbage, unbagged and uncut. It felt so good.

I agree with everyone above expressing remorse/anger/sadness about the church stealing away the visual intimacy we get to enjoy with our spouses. I love a nice pair of panties, but do I ever get to see my wife in one? Nay. Just a daily reminder/representation of what the church has taken and where it has imposed itself. :evil:

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Tue May 09, 2017 11:44 am

Another benefit to losing the garments is an instant visual weight reduction. I felt like I lost about ten pounds by taking those things off. Clothes slide more easily and comfortably over my body, there's no bunching or rolling up, and I'm not constantly tugging. Some Sundays I was wearing seven layers over my midsection. Best diet ever - just take off that frumpy underwear!

I recently discovered that I don't mind white underwear. There's a lot of freedom in colors to be had after wearing garments for so long, but I really love my white underwear because it's white. It's not a dingy grey or bluish hue. It's white - bright, bright white and absolutely wonderful.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 pm

In six years or so since I stopped wearing garments no one has ever said a word to me about it, except dh. He asked once.
Snowdrop wrote:
And these two things normalized after a short time.
Congratulations on taking this big step.