A different Q15 ---------- Question #3 (Restoration)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOWmormon

A different Q15 ---------- Question #3 (Restoration)

Post by NOWmormon » Fri May 19, 2017 4:45 am

Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?
--
Church members are asked 15 questions during private temple recommend interviews with church leadership.
-
But since you are essentially anonymous on this site, how would you answer those same questions here?
--
Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each question, based on what you believe right now.

oliver_denom

Re: A different Q15 ---------- Question #3 (Restoration)

Post by oliver_denom » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 am

This is one of the two big loyalty questions, and one of the big reasons why Utah Mormonism is such an all or nothing ideology. If god literally and personally visited Joseph Smith and told him that all other religions are an abomination, then there is no other organization that can rival the church's importance. It places us under their authority and justifies their right to judge our worthiness.

So, no.

There are some wonderful and inspired things within Mormonism, things which really add to the human experience, but they weren't established personally by the Mormon version of god, and they are neither unique nor exclusive in their rights, powers, and insights.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri May 19, 2017 6:54 am

oliver_denom wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 am
There are some wonderful and inspired things within Mormonism, things which really add to the human experience, but they weren't established personally by the Mormon version of god, and they are neither unique nor exclusive in their rights, powers, and insights.
Once again, a perfect response, and this is almost exactly how I answered the question the last interview I had, and of course it raised some eyebrows. I further stated that far from limiting my vision of God, knowing now that there is more to the story than the restoration, I can accept it along with a bunch of other things I think are true. So I'm not slamming the Mormon vision, just expanding it to something I feel is better, and that works for me. I use this for the "keys" question too. Sure they have keys, I just have a much more expanded vision of what I think keys are - in their mind it's authority, in my mind, it's spirituality. In that way, men and women of all religious and non-religious persuasions who are just good, moral people have keys. That's the way I look at it, and nuance my way into getting that TR.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 am

No.

I have firm evidence of the reality of Joseph Smith's restoration movement and the various faiths that hail him as prophet. But the only thing Joseph Smith was restoring was a confirmation of how it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am

NOWmormon wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:45 am
3) Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?
3) YES!

Look at that: There's a question I can honestly answer with a "yes".

I do have a "testimony" of the restoration, which is this: The "restoration" as far as mormonism is concerned is completely MADE UP Mormonism / the restoration was founded on dishonesty, and the current leadership continue the tradition of dishonesty to this day.

As oliver_denom stated: That which is unique in mormonsim is not good; And that which is good in Mormonism is not unique. Most, if not all of what is unique in mormonism is actually harmful.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri May 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Nope. Joseph Smith was just doing what a lot of charismatic people in the 19th century were doing, trying to make some money and get some power from the religious gullibility of others. I've studied the period and there was an awful lot of this stuff going on. None of it was real or genuine.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Fri May 19, 2017 5:29 pm

No.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Sat May 20, 2017 2:37 am

I struggle to answer this because it now seems so vague to me. But I know what they think it means and I know I don't agree with that.
I think he thought he was restoring stuff. But the more I read about JS the more complicated I find him.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 am

LostGirl wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 2:37 am
I struggle to answer this because it now seems so vague to me. But I know what they think it means and I know I don't agree with that.
I think he thought he was restoring stuff. But the more I read about JS the more complicated I find him.
Same here.i have no idea what this means. I know what the question is meant to get at, but why did prehistoric social practices, like polygamy, need to be instituted centuries later. Crazy stuff.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat May 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I can say with full confidence that Mormons is completely man made. Just as a stopped clock is still right twice a day, Mormons managed to get a few things right, but a lot wrong.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Restoration of the gospel would be literally a restoration of living Christ's teachings as taught in the New Testament. Not only a good idea, but needed.

Yes.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sat May 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Ack - no, no, no! The Mormon definition of the gospel is a bastardization of all that Christian (and even Jewish) faiths hold sacred. It's a giant scam designed to control people, get access to more sexual partners, and to get rich. Nothing "Restored" or "Gospel" about it.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sat May 20, 2017 10:54 pm

NOWmormon wrote:
Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?
Nope.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun May 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Well Mormonism was definitely a religious movement, just like the thousands of other religious movements that have happened over time.

As far as a restoration of the church of Christ's time....well...I believe the Pharisees are at least making a come back. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Mon May 22, 2017 12:08 am

As far as a restoration of the church of Christ's time....well...I believe the Pharisees are at least making a come back
Love it!!

redjay

Post by redjay » Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 am

Yes.

Many people have been brought into contact with the divine through the LDS church - so I can accept that the church, as a movement, has worked to some extent for a people of a certain time and place.

(Although - As I have pointed out to my SP - I believe I can find as much truth in the XYZ church down the road)
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Guy

Post by Guy » Wed May 24, 2017 12:10 am

I would have to believe that it existed in the first place in order to believe it was restored. So no.
Happy Dissenter :D

Random

Post by Random » Wed May 24, 2017 12:11 am

NOWmormon wrote:
Yes. I have a strong testimony of the restoration of the gospel.

Now, the question is, do I expound on that? Do I point out that my definition is that gospel =/= church (or even a trademark masquerading as a church)? Do I point out that my "testimony" is that God is in the process of restoring what was at first - i.e. Enoch's city, how they lived (Zion) - and that he gave up on the LDS Corp when they sicced a stake president on a man the Lord sent to warn and to testify? A man who got kicked out because he wrote a book on LDS history that did not flatter the leadership of the church. Do I tell them that God is working again and that they probably won't like what he is doing once it becomes obvious to them? If I were still a member and said all that, they'd probably excommunicate me and warn others to shun me.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Thu May 25, 2017 5:20 am

redjay wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 am
Yes.

Many people have been brought into contact with the divine through the LDS church - so I can accept that the church, as a movement, has worked to some extent for a people of a certain time and place.

(Although - As I have pointed out to my SP - I believe I can find as much truth in the XYZ church down the road)
Same, except I didn't admit anything to my SP.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sat May 27, 2017 11:12 am

The answer is NO. That's 3 strikes for me! Guess I'm out!....
It's been a long time since I sat in a bishops office answering these questions. I have come far from what I used to believe in a relatively short time compared the years spent in the church. About 6 years. I was conned by the man Joseph Smith, and so were my ancestors, my family, dear friends and you. So the story of the restoration doesn't sit to well with me. I suppose there was some good that came from his made up church, but it wasn't a restoration of the gospel like he told everyone. I think that is what irks me the most is this one lie and how it snowballed into the mega church it is today. How in the world did this happen? I always say the history of the Mormon church has all the making of a good Dan Brown novel.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57