A different Q15 --------- Question #6 (Conduct)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOWmormon

A different Q15 --------- Question #6 (Conduct)

Post by NOWmormon » Mon May 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each temple recommend question, based on what you believe right now

Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

Personal note:
The first four questions were related to personal belief systems. Number 5 dealt with the individual’s conduct.
Now, number 6 deals with how the individual’s conduct impacts others outside of church, regardless of church membership status.

This question moves the judgment needle from a personal belief/obedience system to encompassing behavior in our everyday lives, church related or not.

Give It Time

Re: A different Q15 --------- Question #6 (Conduct)

Post by Give It Time » Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 pm

NOWmormon wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:53 pm
Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each temple recommend question, based on what you believe right now

Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?

Personal note:
The first four questions were related to personal belief systems. Number 5 dealt with the individual’s conduct.
Now, number 6 deals with how the individual’s conduct impacts others outside of church, regardless of church membership status.

This question moves the judgment needle from a personal belief/obedience system to encompassing behavior in our everyday lives, church related or not.
No.

But I call BS on this question. My ex answered yes to this for decades. They still gave him a recommend.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon May 22, 2017 4:06 pm

NOWmormon wrote:
No. I continue to treat my family with the respect and love they deserve. A busybody church might feel differently but I have no reason to grant that level of privilege to them.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 pm

This question irks me, just as it irks Give It Time. No matter how horrible someone is, the church is just as likely to give a slap on the wrist (or do nothing at all) as it is to discipline someone. Liars have it made in the church.

As for my conduct and the teachings of the church - I follow the teachings of Christ, so I've always felt I lived those standards. Now that I know the church practically teaches people to lie (or, more accurately, was founded on lies, deceptions, predatory behaviors and other corrupt behaviors), I'm not so sure how much I am in harmony with all of that.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm

No.

For me it is too vague. So much so that it is too easy for people an leadership to twist it to suit their own ends.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 pm

No.

But I call BS on this question. My ex answered yes to this for decades. They still gave him a recommend.
Same^^^
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon May 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Yes. I don't take the lead in having family home evening, or family scripture study, or family prayer. I don't do many of the checklist of things that a good Mormon husband or son is supposed to do.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Nope
~2bizE

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon May 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Yes, even as a TBM, I did plenty that was not in harmony with church teachings. None of was something serious per se, but any type of sin is disharmonious if we're talking letter of the law.

As a NOM, I do lots that's blatantly disharmonious to church teachings.

In reality, No. i think my life will be just fine if I'm standing before Jesus to be judged.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Tue May 23, 2017 1:56 am

I thought this was another easy one. Of course not, everything I do is for my family. I have a great relationship with my kids and actively build those relationships.

But if I really think about it, there is plenty I do these days that is done with blatant disregard for "church" teachings. FHE, family prayer and family scripture reading are pretty much non existent. I ignore ward and area goals and refuse to set corresponding family goals. I refuse to go to tithing settlement. I tell my kids when I disagree with things they are taught at church. I encourage them to think for themselves and be open to information and knowledge even if it may not agree with the party line.

It occurs to me that this question is so broad that it can be applied to virtually anything that the bishop wants to apply it to and is aiming not at whether you have a good relationship with your family but at whether you have unquestioning loyalty to the church. Now that I have actually thought about what it means, this question really bothers me.

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am

I was told this question really relates to abuse.

So, nope I'm good - though we do have a rather cruel sense of humour in our family: teemager with spots, adults putting a couple of pounds of weight, a lapse of memory, it's all fair game.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 23, 2017 7:15 am

redjay wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am
I was told this question really relates to abuse.
I believe I heard the same thing as RJ mentions.
NOWmormon wrote:

6) No.

Honestly, I believe the church is an abusive organization, so personally, I have no problem answering this question the way "they" would prefer I answer it.
Last edited by wtfluff on Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue May 23, 2017 7:25 am

I've always thought of this one in terms of abuse too. So in the past, I've found this easy to say no.

But now that others mention it, there's LOTS I now do that are not in harmony with the teachings of the church. I don't lead out in church service, I don't really care about family night (well, we still do stuff that night, I just don't care about lesson time) and a whole bunch of other stuff, and I'm not going to worry overly about it either.

As long as I'm not abusive, it's all good. I can have a clear conscience on that one. I'm so sorry for the others that have commented that this has not been the case. That's just horrible.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

alas

Post by alas » Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 pm

This question is just plain a bad question. In all my work as a social worker, child protective services, battered women's shelter, adults abused as children, child sexual abuse, and so on, I never once heard of a case where the abuser was not in denial that the abuse was abuse. They minimized it to the point that a full out beating of their spouse or child was "I lost my temper a little. I might have said something." Meanwhile the victim is in the hospital with broken bones. With child sexual abuse, they think they are teaching the child about sex. Yup, by raping them. Very few abusers see what they are doing as wrong. Or, they see it as a little wrong, but they are trying to get it under control, cause they know they lose their temper, but they would never hurt their family member. And, yes, in some cases I was working with the abusers, and the first therapy goal was to get them to see that their behavior was wrong. So, unless the abuser is already in treatment, they are going to claim there is nothing very wrong with their behavior. You and I might be nauseated by their behavior, but they don't see a problem.

This is the church's biggest mistake with saying they do not condone abuse, is they never define it in concrete terms so that the abuser recognizes his/her behavior as wrong. They always say it as vaguely as possible.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 pm

The question is about abuse.

My ex was an unusual case. He would own up to being abusive, but like alas states, he'd justify it all. So, the priesthood leader would say, "well, that's certainly understandable". :roll:

I think the question does need rewording. Perhaps this question is asked by a trained mental health professional. That would be interesting.

A good place to start would be for the church leadership to say, that while the church doesn't condone abuse, the leaders don't know squat about it and will most assuredly get things wrong. That could be phrased in a faith promoting manner. Right?
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Guy

Post by Guy » Wed May 24, 2017 12:29 am

No. I've always tried to treat my family with the same kind of love and respect that I hope they would show me. Though after my change in belief, probably not in a strict churchy, obedient way.
Happy Dissenter :D

Random

Post by Random » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 am

NOWmormon wrote:

Considering that the church teaches that it comes first, I would have to say "yes" because my family and God are more important to me than this organization, so the fact that my kids are more important to me means that I am not in harmony with teachings such as "if it means your kids go hungry, pay your tithing." There are other examples that could be given of toxic things the church does to families.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Random

Post by Random » Wed May 24, 2017 1:12 am

I know the question relates to abuse, but it does not say, "Do you abuse anyone in your family?" so I answered what it said, not the secret meaning behind it. I'm not abusing anyone, so the answer in that sense would be no.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 am

I don't abuse my family members, so no.

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Fri May 26, 2017 10:18 am

I always answered yes to this question because I am human and sometimes I get angry and yell and sometimes I say things that are unkind. I am not abusive, but I am also not perfect. No one ever seemed to care about this one.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson