MS: Staying Active in the LDS Church as an Unorthodox Member

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Ghost

MS: Staying Active in the LDS Church as an Unorthodox Member

Post by Ghost » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 pm

I haven't been keeping up with Mormon Stories as much as I used to (though I'll probably catch up at some point), but I listened to this episode the other day. I think others here might appreciate the discussion between John Dehlin, Gina Colvin, Dan Wotherspoon, and Thomas McConkie.

http://www.mormonstories.org/staying-ac ... northodox/

One thing that particularly resonated with me is what McConkie said about destroying the roots of who you have become. I was going to paraphrase it here but then I realized that it has now probably become combined with other thoughts in my mind so I'd probably misrepresent it.

And the comments on the page where the episode is posted nicely illustrate how unacceptable being any flavor of NOM is to a lot of people.

Edit: I went back and found the part I was referring to, and I've transcribed some of it:
Almost by definition when we grow, when we move through a transition of identity, we feel a repulsion towards the former stage that we're leaving. Like, whatever we were before, we find it totally distasteful, totally inadequate; we want to distance ourselves from it as much as possible. It's to say that when we develop, which we all do, we run the risk of divorcing ourselves from the prior stages of development. It's actually our root bed. It's the former stages that get us to the actual crown of the tree.
He went on to describe an optimistic hypothetical future for the LDS church, in which people honor the dignity of their own transitions and the transitions of other people. But this is the part that caught my attention. I guess because I've thought in similar terms at times about how, like it or not, my LDS upbringing is a major part of who I am. I don't think I could leave it all behind even if I wanted to. Or maybe I simply don't want to and that's why I think this way.