A different Q15 --------- Question #15 - Self evaluation

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
NOWmormon

A different Q15 --------- Question #15 - Self evaluation

Post by NOWmormon » Wed May 31, 2017 4:20 am

Each day, for the rest of May, please share your honest response to each temple recommend question, based on what you believe right now
-
Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

LostGirl

Re: A different Q15 --------- Question #15 - Self evaluation

Post by LostGirl » Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 am

Yes. Ironically I feel more confident now in saying this than ever, while at the same time having no desire at all to go. Never really liked it that much but now it feels pointless. Now more than ever I don't think I could sit through it without screaming or crying, or both.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 am

LostGirl wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 am
Yes. Ironically I feel more confident now in saying this than ever, while at the same time having no desire at all to go. Never really liked it that much but now it feels pointless. Now more than ever I don't think I could sit through it without screaming or crying, or both.
I agree with this. It's ironic and now that I understand that spirituality is so much more than these rules. These rules measure obedience. They don't measure heart or character.

I've been looking forward to the first vision question and haven't seen it.

I believe that it's possible Joseph was a spiritual seeker. He lived in a time where the magical world view was common. There would have been Native Americans in his area. I believe that Joseph intentionally--not accidentally, not because he was hungry--could have gone into the Sacred Grove, ingested a type of hallucination-inducing mushroom found in the area and prayed for further light and knowledge. His vision follows exactly the pattern of that mushroom's trip. I believe it's possible he believed what he saw was a genuine vision.

So, yes. I believe the first vision is possible. However, just like everything else in the history, our understanding of it and the actual truth of what could have actually happened are very different.

I also want to say that I believe Joseph's vision was for him and, had I done the same thing, my vision would have been different and for me.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed May 31, 2017 5:52 am

One of the biggest reliefs of my faith transition has been being able to let go of the whole idea of worthiness. I grew up feeling somehow broken, isolated and alienated. The church's appeal was the promise of healing and belonging. As an investigator and new convert I felt loved and accepted in a way that was completely new to me. It didn't last, though. The deeper in I got ( and maybe this is a change in church culture and emphasis over the last 30 years or so?) the more I realized I could never live up to the standards and expectations. I was never going to be a good member missionary. I hated visiting teaching. I was bored to tears reading the same scriptures over and over. I could go on (and probably you all could too.)

Anyway, my new standard of worthiness is, am I being true to what I think is right? More now than when I was trying to reconcile personal values with LDS doctrine and policies that would have seemed downright wicked if I hadn't believed they came from God. As far as entering the temple -- their temple, their rules, so no, I'm not worthy and I'm fine with that.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 am

NOWmormon wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:20 am
Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?
Yes, I "consider myself worthy"; Though at this point in my life, I have absolutely no desire to "enter" and perform creepy plagiarized rituals.

Am I "worthy" according to the LDS Corporation? No.

Honestly, the entire "worthiness cult" created by the LDS Corporation is one of the worst things that they have ever invented. "Worthiness" is a completely made-up illness that they have invented, and they have also invented the cure for that made-up illness. The fact that the illness is made-up, literally means that there is no cure, but the LDS Corporation continues to tell everyone that they are unworthy, and continues to sell them a worthless cure that will never actually work.

Any human on the earth who is doing their best to be a contributing member of the society that they live in is "worthy". That's actually equal to the vast majority of humans on earth, not the measly few mormons who have a "recommend" that basically says they've given their agency to the board of directors of the LDS Corporation.

Give It Time wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 am
? ? ?

There is no temple recommend question about the first vision.

Was there one at some point that I am unaware of?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Wed May 31, 2017 8:03 am

I can toy around with the use of the word worthy so I can answer yes much like how if I lived in Tampa, FL I could somehow justify claiming I live on the west coast. I don't see a need to though, self-evaluation easily reveals to me that I don't meet the standards they are trying to impose for entrance and participation, so I'll answer appropriately. Though they won't get a simple "no" out of me as it suggests I agree with their idea of worthiness but simply don't meet it, and I really rather don't agree with their idea of worthiness. Instead they'd get something like, "I don't feel I meet the behaviors and beliefs you're trying to require for entrance."
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 am

This is the most important of the questions and arguably the only one truly necessary. Yes, I consider myself worthy as someone who strives to live a moral life and wants to support my family. Exactly what does the LDS temple offer back to me?

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 am

LostGirl wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 am
My thoughts exactly.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 31, 2017 10:43 am

If I wanted to, yes, but I don't. So I don't care.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed May 31, 2017 11:54 am

Yes. The whole LDS mantra is that we are all a bunch of slackers and sinners and unworthy of god. I'm no more of a sinner than anyone else. So, yes.
~2bizE

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 am

It's just a building, man. "Worthy" is irrelevant.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed May 31, 2017 2:59 pm

Knowing what I know now even if I was worthy I wouldn't want to enter. I never got that fuzzy feel good feeling in the temple. It's over rated. Certainly not worth the 15 questions of obedience and all that tithing money to get there.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 31, 2017 3:13 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 am
NOWmormon wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:20 am
Yes, I "consider myself worthy"; Though at this point in my life, I have absolutely no desire to "enter" and perform creepy plagiarized rituals.

Am I "worthy" according to the LDS Corporation? No.

Honestly, the entire "worthiness cult" created by the LDS Corporation is one of the worst things that they have ever invented. "Worthiness" is a completely made-up illness that they have invented, and they have also invented the cure for that made-up illness. The fact that the illness is made-up, literally means that there is no cure, but the LDS Corporation continues to tell everyone that they are unworthy, and continues to sell them a worthless cure that will never actually work.

Any human on the earth who is doing their best to be a contributing member of the society that they live in is "worthy". That's actually equal to the vast majority of humans on earth, not the measly few mormons who have a "recommend" that basically says they've given their agency to the board of directors of the LDS Corporation.

Give It Time wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 5:22 am
? ? ?

There is no temple recommend question about the first vision.

Was there one at some point that I am unaware of?
I've been asked one. Let me see if I can find it.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 pm

It's question number 3
3 Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

Let me do look okay that thread.

Just about every time I've been asked that question, the first vision is a specific follow up question. I can think of three interviews where I've had this.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Meh, I like my answer on that thread. I'll keep things as they are.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed May 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 pm
It's question number 3
3 Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?

Just about every time I've been asked that question, the first vision is a specific follow up question. I can think of three interviews where I've had this.
So... If you were asked a question about the first vision, whoever asked the question "went off-script" which we know is NOT ALLOWED! :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed May 31, 2017 5:02 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 3:56 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 pm
It's question number 3

So... If you were asked a question about the first vision, whoever asked the question "went off-script" which we know is NOT ALLOWED! :D

Next time I can ask them what I get for answering lightning round questions.

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Wed May 31, 2017 6:24 pm

No personal thoughts on this one?

As for me, yes. This question used to ask if you considered yourself "worthy in every way", but they dropped that, probably due to people who would feel excessive guilt.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 pm

This question hits on the very reason I will never go to another temple recommend interview. I don't give any random LDS man the authority to judge my worthiness. Period. Ironic, isn't it, that the final question asks you to judge your own worthiness. Yet in the final tally, they will judge you based on the answers you give to the previous 14 questions. What you think really doesn't count at all. JMHO.

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 pm

I am not "worthy" to enter the temple because the temple is private property and I don't follow the rules. So even though I think I am a better person than I was when I was trying to smash my square peg into their round hole, I am not "worthy" and I don't want to participate. SM is boring enough.
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson