A VERY COOL CONNECTION HERE AT NOM!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Abinidied

Re: A VERY COOL CONNECTION HERE AT NOM!!!

Post by Abinidied » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:08 pm
What a great connection. I wish I lived up north. I would invite myself to said kayak trip!
Well git yer but up here! Open invite to all, BTW. Of course, I can't speak for No Tof, but I'm very plugged into meeting some NOM folk (I think he would be to. He's just that kind of warm) - hope to see some of you at Sunstone where I might be wearing an 'I wish I had Abinadi pecs' shirt or something.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:54 pm

A New Name wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 pm
On the old NOM board, we use to post a real photo of ourselves on our avatar for a few days, then change back. Almost everybody did for a few days. My real photo will be up for 2 days only!
This is so cool and inspiring! Go Dog Go!
--Red Green

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm

LostMormon wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:58 pm
A New Name wrote:
On the old NOM board, we use to post a real photo of ourselves on our avatar for a few days, then change back. Almost everybody did for a few days. My real photo will be up for 2 days only!
You look a lot like one of the counselors in my old stake presidency. I don't suppose you have ever been, or have a brother or relative that has been in the stake presidency?
Nope, not me or a Brother in a Stake Presidency. I'm in SoCal

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Abinidied wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 pm
MalcolmVillager wrote:
What a great connection. I wish I lived up north. I would invite myself to said kayak trip!
Well git yer but up here! Open invite to all, BTW. Of course, I can't speak for No Tof, but I'm very plugged into meeting some NOM folk (I think he would be to. He's just that kind of warm) - hope to see some of you at Sunstone where I might be wearing an 'I wish I had Abinadi pecs' shirt or something.
Maybe we should create something we wear or do so we can identify fellow NOMs. A lapel pin or special NOM pen or hat or something.
~2bizE

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:16 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 pm
Maybe we should create something we wear or do so we can identify fellow NOMs. A lapel pin or special NOM pen or hat or something.
How 'bout these????

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ec4cb5 ... nBg=FFFFFF

. . . just kidding. I do think it would be cool to have some kind of NOM marker. A button with identifying avatar would be fun.

I will be looking for Rob4Hope with his avatar pinned to his shirt. He said he would be there in an earlier post.
--Red Green

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm

2bizE wrote:
How about a secret handshake since we are all good at them or do the tapir dance! .... On the old NOM there was a spreadsheet where we would list our ward, mission, state, etc. We could fill in what we felt comfortable revealing. I found that quite helpful.
Also, we did a unmasking on Halloween just for that day. I've been out of the church 2 years now and on these boards since about 2012 and I still can't bring myself to unmask myself. Hooray for those that do!!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:18 pm

2bizE wrote:
Easy:

http://www.tapirrider.com/pins.html
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:24 pm

2bizE wrote:
Abinidied wrote:
MalcolmVillager wrote:
I just wonder if anybody would actually do it, The reason we don't put our real pictures on here, is because we are afraid of being discovered right? what is the difference between that, and wearing something, that would basically do the same thing?

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm

I wish I could make it to sunstone. I may make it to the first timers dinner Wednesday or there is a get together for a facebook group of people trying to stay thoughtfully engaged in Mormonism (it includes nuanced active members, non- believing active members, inactive anf even ex-mo's who are still connected to Mormonism).

I am open to those who care to know, just noy to the general membership or family.

Let me know if anyone can make it to either of those events.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:30 am

LostMormon wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:24 pm
2bizE wrote:
Abinidied wrote:

I just wonder if anybody would actually do it, The reason we don't put our real pictures on here, is because we are afraid of being discovered right? what is the difference between that, and wearing something, that would basically do the same thing?
I think we choose to show an avatar rather than our faces not to hide them from fellow NOMs, but from the general TBM public or the strengthening members committee who are lurking.
~2bizE

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 am

LostMormon wrote:
I can only speak for myself on this but the difference for me is that a reveal on this forum is a far greater risk (too great for me right now) of exposing myself to someone familiar but anonymous reading my previous posts. That potential is clearly very real for me and others who responded to this post. Thankfully, the reveal turned out to be a very positive and needful thing from with someone I trust to protect my anonymity but could potentially have had a far more disastrous outcome should someone I know who cares little about confidentiality or even has a personal vendetta against me (I made this up because I don't know of such a person), discover my cathartic but often disparaging posts on this forum. The thought of my TBM family and friends reading my posts is a heart-stopper that I should, perhaps, have considered. Then again, the therapeutic consequence of being able to state publicly what I am unable to do with the people who mean the most to me, has bridged me to a healthier place.

Given how far away from this conference I live, the risk of discovery is reduced below the 'I need connection with real people' benchmark. Perhaps I'll be the only one sporting my identity as Abinidied in some form at Sunstone. Perhaps I'll even change my mind if my wife is uncomfortable with it. I hope it's perceived by none that I am trying to pressure others to do so (and I'm not suggesting at all this is what you are implying). Certainly wasn't my intent if it came across as such.
--Red Green

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:49 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:30 am
LostMormon wrote:
2bizE wrote:

I think we choose to show an avatar rather than our faces not to hide them from fellow NOMs, but from the general TBM public or the strengthening members committee who are lurking.
Agreed, but what keeps those same people from the TBM public, and strengthening Members committee from reading the same post our fellow NOM's read to learn what special pin to look for, which will then identify us as being a member of this community?

Abinidied brings up an excellent point, that I didn't really think of, and that is, even though we may be identified just as easily by outsiders as "NOM" with a lapel pin. at least we can't be tied to our individual posts, which could be potentially even more troublesome.

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 am

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm
I wish I could make it to sunstone. I may make it to the first timers dinner Wednesday
I'll be at the first timers dinner. Look for a guy with a red square pin with my avatar name on it and a beautifully aging brunette wife by my side. Very much hope to see you there!
--Red Green

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 am

Wish we could have joined you at the conference. Say hi to the NOMS you meet from me as well.

We are real people!
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am

Maybe someday we should consider a NOMference.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 pm

A New Name wrote:
This avatar photo is really me!
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm

If there is one way I could describe my Sunstone experience it is rather the same feeling I had when I was around eight and my grandparents got the first colour television set in our small village. I'm sure I imagined what it would be like, but my wonder was struck when grandpa turned the knob and we saw a world in a way we couldn't preconceive. Can I put a finger on it? Nope. All I can say is how powerfully I've been moved, how terrifyingly hard I've laughed (Nathan Mccluskey created much loud laughter with a bit of irreverent, but poignant personal narrative), and how unimaginable transformative the conference has been on my shifting world view. Example. I walked up to Sandra Tanner and said, "I'm going to do something I never dreamed possible for me. I want to thank you for your pioneering efforts in drawing us closer to what history has shown us is the truth." She responded that perhaps she could get a float in the pioneer parade. We laughed and I walked away empowered with new meaning and a clear understanding that we are all here trying to find the same thing. Meaning. I don't agree with all things Light House Ministries, or any other ministry, but I'm finding hope right here, right now. And the best part of it all? My amazing wife is here with me, at times walking on paths on either side of the iron rod, but in spite of it all, reaching over and walking hand in hand. Sorry for the melancholy, but I couldn't be in a better place and can think of no other way to describe it.

I haven't encountered any NOMers except Bill Reel who sat down in front of me and I had a chance to share a few thoughts with him on what he was able t o provide that the church was not when I needed them to the most. I feel the same about NOM and although haven't been participating - a bit overwhelmed with life for the last couple of months.
--Red Green

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 am

Abinidied wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm
If there is one way I could describe my Sunstone experience it is rather the same feeling I had when I was around eight and my grandparents got the first colour television set in our small village. I'm sure I imagined what it would be like, but my wonder was struck when grandpa turned the knob and we saw a world in a way we couldn't preconceive. Can I put a finger on it? Nope. All I can say is how powerfully I've been moved, how terrifyingly hard I've laughed (Nathan Mccluskey created much loud laughter with a bit of irreverent, but poignant personal narrative), and how unimaginable transformative the conference has been on my shifting world view. Example. I walked up to Sandra Tanner and said, "I'm going to do something I never dreamed possible for me. I want to thank you for your pioneering efforts in drawing us closer to what history has shown us is the truth." She responded that perhaps she could get a float in the pioneer parade. We laughed and I walked away empowered with new meaning and a clear understanding that we are all here trying to find the same thing. Meaning. I don't agree with all things Light House Ministries, or any other ministry, but I'm finding hope right here, right now. And the best part of it all? My amazing wife is here with me, at times walking on paths on either side of the iron rod, but in spite of it all, reaching over and walking hand in hand. Sorry for the melancholy, but I couldn't be in a better place and can think of no other way to describe it.

I haven't encountered any NOMers except Bill Reel who sat down in front of me and I had a chance to share a few thoughts with him on what he was able t o provide that the church was not when I needed them to the most. I feel the same about NOM and although haven't been participating - a bit overwhelmed with life for the last couple of months.
You make me wish I could go, Abinidied. It sounds amazing.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:58 pm
we did a unmasking on Halloween just for that day. I've been out of the church 2 years now and on these boards since about 2012 and I still can't bring myself to unmask myself. Hooray for those that do!!
A New Name wrote:
I hope we continue the tradition for those comfortable doing so. I like Grace2Daisy's way of getting around the fear of being discovered vs. wanting to unmask.
Grace2Daisy wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 pm
This avatar photo is really me!
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 pm

On a trip to visit family in Utah and Idaho a couple years ago, I happened to be in Salt Lake City for one day of the Sunstone conference. Fortunately, they sell walk-in single-day tickets, and my wife and I were able to sit in on a couple sessions. I also talked to Richard Dutcher (for about two seconds). It would be fun to attend the whole thing at some point.

I like Hagoth's idea of a NOM conference, though it would undoubtedly be far from where I live. I did actually get to meet three NOM forum members once on another trip that happened to coincide with a meet-up.