Mom Is Improving Dramatically

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
StarbucksMom

Re: Mom Is Fighting For Her Life

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:34 am

I am so sorry for this extrememely difficult and stressful time your family is going through. For what it's worth, I believe in God and that He will send comfort and help to you and your family. I will say a prayer for you too :)

Lithium Sunset

Re: Mom Is Fighting For Her Life

Post by Lithium Sunset » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Achilles,
I am so sorry to hear that your mom is not well. I hope you keep updating, we are definitely here for support and a listening ear.
Sometimes day by day is too much and you just have to break it down to hour by hour and then build up to getting through the morning and night, but I bet you know that by now.
Sending hugs and thoughts your way. Hang in there.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

achilles

Mom Is Improving Dramatically

Post by achilles » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Update, 7/11:

Today was a great day. Mom had her breathing tube removed and is breathing on her own, with some help from O2. Her throat is sore from the tube, so her speech is very hoarse, but she is talking. She has been gaining strength with the physical therapist, but is still very weak--she can't stand or walk. Still on feeding tube and catheters. She is maintaining her blood pressure w/o meds, and the nephrologists are happy about her kidney function. Her lungs are clear, but she still needs to get rid of a lot of fluids.

I thought for sure she would be dead by now, and I had already started to mourn her a few days ago. She's made enormous progress in the past few days. We'll see what the future holds.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Give It Time

Re: Mom Is Improving Dramatically

Post by Give It Time » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Day by day.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 am

Wow-hope the trend continues!

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Achilles, so sorry to hear you're going through this. I went through much the same with my step-mom after my dad passed away. There were brilliant high days and some days I thought she would be gone. It was an exhausting roller coaster. I finally had to decide to simply take it one day at a time since I really didn't have control of the outcome and it was sending me past exhaustion. If it was a good day, I was thankful. If a bad day, hopeful. It comforted me that at most times she was at least comfortable, and knew that I was there for her. She still passed away, rather suddenly and peacefully, but I tried to make the journey there as fulfilling for the both of us as possible.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:29 pm

These times with parents are really tough. I'm so glad to hear that she's improving. Best of luck, my friend.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 pm

For those who are keeping tabs on this thread and haven't seen the new thread.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1826&p=20545#p20530
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK