NOM touchstone - thanks!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

NOM touchstone - thanks!

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:44 am

I am currently in Peru flying drones for an archaeological survey of a pre-Inca site. To my surprise and delight, for the first time since I arrived in Peru, I have enough bandwidth to access NOM (albeit at an excruciatingly slow up/download rate). I can't tell you how nice it is to have a little internet home I can visit with familiar faces - even if they're avatars . I'm I'm a village where they still use burrows for transportation and the hostel I'm staying at is very primitive and a bit cockroach-y, so the familiarity of NOM is a nice diversion. Just wanted to say thanks... assuming this message-in-a-bottle will reach your shore.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Re: NOM touchstone - thanks!

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:51 am

Sounds like fun. You will have to give a mission report when you get back. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:09 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:44 am
I am currently in Peru flying drones for an archaeological survey of a pre-Inca site. To my surprise and delight, for the first time since I arrived in Peru, I have enough bandwidth to access NOM (albeit at an excruciatingly slow up/download rate). I can't tell you how nice it is to have a little internet home I can visit with familiar faces - even if they're avatars . I'm I'm a village where they still use burrows for transportation and the hostel I'm staying at is very primitive and a bit cockroach-y, so the familiarity of NOM is a nice diversion. Just wanted to say thanks... assuming this message-in-a-bottle will reach your shore.
Message arrived :lol:

Sounds like you're having an incredible adventure! I'd love to hear more about it after you get back. Safe travels!!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 am

Are you sure you haven't just joined the CIA? "Archeological survey" eh? Nice cover story. Have fun Mr. spy. :lol: ;)
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
What a wonderful adventure!

Hello!
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:43 pm

News flash! We just excavated a stack of metal plates with heioglyph-like characters*

*Just kidding
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Very jealous of your current adventure.

Hopefully you can return and report and maybe even a few pix...
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:29 pm

You are fortunate to be persuing your passion this way. I hope you find a place to post some of the aerial footage.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:37 pm

We miss you Hagoth. Say hi to any Cureloms and Curmoms you run across for us and best of luck in surveying the Nephite artifacts.
Last edited by moksha on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:39 pm

My envy runs deep.

Enjoy
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Id give a senine of silver to join you down there.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am

You have an exciting job! At least to Silver Girl, who's most exciting times at work involve memes on the Internet.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am
You have an exciting job! At least to Silver Girl, who's most exciting times at work involve memes on the Internet.
Unfortunately I'm not getting paid :( . But I am getting graduate school credit. :)

Newme

Post by Newme » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Hagoth wrote:
If you don't mind sharing exactly where you're located, so church spies can hunt you down ( ;) :geek: ), what part of Peru?
I toured the country and my favorite part was the sacred valley. Stayed in "Casa de Wow" in Ollantaytambo. The owner took us on his roof and explained interesting legends, pointing out parts of mountains that looked like people's profiles. I liked the climate and general feel there.

What have you liked?

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Smuggle home a baby tapir! Or at least try to ride one! :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:50 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:43 pm
News flash! We just excavated a stack of metal plates with heioglyph-like characters*

*Just kidding
Ha! You just gave yourself away. Peru schmeru. Liar liar, pants on fire, you are really near Manchester, NY :mrgreen: .

Have fun out there.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:20 am

Newme, sorry, I've been trying to respond for days but couldn't connect. The long answer was lost each time. Here's the short answer: I'm in the northwest coastal region known a Lambeyeque.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Let us know if you unearth any ships that look like a bowl.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:00 pm
Let us know if you unearth any ships that look like a bowl.
Tight!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 am

I'm back in Zion again. Wow, what a crazy, fascinating experience. I saw civilizations that ranged from 5800 years ago right up to the time of Spanish Conquest, so the Americas were massively populated long before and after BoM times. No gold plates, no wooden submarines. Lots of victims of sacrifice to the Decapitator God. He's a trinitarian god, by the way, who manifests in spider, octopus and bird form - all with scary faces.

Right after my initial post I started having more and more internet connection problems and I finally just gave up for a while. It's good to be back in the ward.