Dodged a bullet

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Korihor

Dodged a bullet

Post by Korihor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Do you ever run across some one from you past from a relationship that didn't work out (I.e. Boy/girl friend) and think "geez, I dodged a bullet with that one"?

I had one of those experiences recently.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Give It Time

Re: Dodged a bullet

Post by Give It Time » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Korihor wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 pm
Do you ever run across some one from you past from a relationship that didn't work out (I.e. Boy/girl friend) and think "geez, I dodged a bullet with that one"?

I had one of those experiences recently.
Kind of. I saw someone I used to crush on. Hard. It was at an event and a group was playing music. They were very good. When I saw him, he was talking to his date. I'm hard of hearing and I could hear him talking to her, non-stop, through the entire performance. Thirty minutes. He didn't ask anything or give her a chance to speak. I was kind of relieved and I felt sorry for her. I got the impression she wasn't having too much fun. He's still handsome as all creation, though.

I'm sure he thought he dodged a bullet with me. My looks have deteriorated considerably

I think it's all fair.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 pm

I thought your neighbors might be out shooting their guns off up there and since you don't wear garments anymore you were literally dodging bullets.

But it looks like you might be surfing Facebook with your yearbook in one hand.

I had a girlfriend in 10th grade and our relationship was cut short by her parents decision to move across the country. Over the years I always wondered what could have been. I finally found her on Facebook and based on her posts, I dodged a bullet. Only because she's a food storage hoarding, ammo collecting, flannel shirt wearing, Trump supporting, Kareoke singing, redneck from Alabama. I think she still has all of her teeth though.

Of course she unknowingly dodged a bullet with me since I often leave the toilet seat up.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 am

I am sure I dodged a few and was dodged by some who think the same of me. I do occasionally wonder what would have come if I had married another, or chosen a different school, job, or profession.

I regret that I only have this one life to live. The iterations of parallel universes would be exciting and fascinating to live.

Sometimes I love the though of the Hindu Brahman (God) which is the totality of all things and within each of us. That would be Godhood to me. To live all possible iterations of life. Maybe that is what He, She, They, It is doing!

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am

Nope, but I do know one person who considers me a bullet dodged. Zang...ping...pow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPiFIejACyg
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Yep, googled my first love and Registered Sex Offender came up. For indecent liberties with a minor. Yikes!

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:32 am

Ex-boyfriend and his wife and 9 children were featured in a news article that made it to national level a few years back and I happened to see it. The article was about the impact of welfare cutbacks. The wife in the picture looked like she was drowning in children.

He had me convinced he was accepted to medical school- until I flew home to meet the family and found out he wasn't even enrolled in college.
So glad I noped my way out of that one.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:39 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:32 am
Ex-boyfriend and his wife and 9 children were featured in a news article that made it to national level a few years back and I happened to see it. The article was about the impact of welfare cutbacks. The wife in the picture looked like she was drowning in children.

He had me convinced he was accepted to medical school- until I flew home to meet the family and found out he wasn't even enrolled in college.
Did your uterus thank you?

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:46 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:39 am
crossmyheart wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:32 am

Did your uterus thank you?
FOR SURE! Like I said in the other post- I stopped at 2 children. Any more than that I would have gone insane!

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 am

This thread made me laugh. My first two loves-just lovely still. There were a few past boyfriends that are now kind of weird. But the first two...sigh... :). Now what they would think of me..who knows.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 am

Wouldn't it be funny if one of us was actually a past boyfriend/girlfriend of one of us?

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:33 pm

The only one I know I dodged a bullet on was a relationship I knew was only going to get worse. I could see my future: barefoot and pregnant, married to a man who didn’t believe in birth control, dismissed to the kitchen when I wasn't busy working to support everyone. I broke off the relationship. I ran across the guy recently and over fifteen years later he’s still living with his parents.
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 am
Wouldn't it be funny if one of us was actually a past boyfriend/girlfriend of one of us?
I find this horrifying, as the young man I dated above, I could very well see participating on forums like these. I did notice the name of a boyfriend of a roommate of mine on a petition for the church's financial transparency. He would come over every day so they could do scripture study together. It was nauseating.

In college I dated a non-Mormon and tried to convert him. We even talked about getting married. He was wise enough to break up with me. With the Mormon Moment and the Book of Mormon Musical and Prop 8, no doubt he thinks he dodged a bullet.