Building a Temple in Haiti - really?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Grace2Daisy

Building a Temple in Haiti - really?

Post by Grace2Daisy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm

My frustration as to the church spending its money on temples hit the wall when I read this article in the Salt Lake Tribune. Honestly, what are they thinking. I posted this on Reddit's r/exmormon:

Haiti is one of the poorest nations in the Western Hemisphere, with a national poverty rate of 58.6%, and an extreme poverty rate of 24.7%. This means around 60 percent of the population lives on less than $1.00 a day. As a result, malnutrition and anemia run rampant. Haiti is the third hungriest country in the world.

Only fifty percent of children living in Haiti are able to go to school, while 30 percent of those only progress to the fifth grade. As a result, half of Haitians are illiterate.

There is a large population of orphaned children in Haiti, many of whom are living on the streets. There were an estimated 380,000 prior to the 2010 earthquake and untold thousands added to that number after it. There are also about 250,000 restaveks, or children working as servants and often treated as slaves.

Only 50 percent of the people have access to an improved water source, such as a hand pump or a well. This means that most of the population depends on lakes, streams and rivers for their water, regardless of the cleanliness.

Rather than build a hospital or a clinic, rather than invest in anything that could assist the hungry, rather than build an orphanage, rather than help drill wells for clean water, the LDS church has decided to build a temple so it can offer it's members the "richest blessings of their faith". The ground breaking is set for October 28th.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5 ... d-on-haiti

I'm certain Christ would have said, "Hunger, poverty, orphans. . . . hmm. . . let's build a temple!" Is a shopping mall next?
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

achilles

Re: Building a Temple in Haiti - really?

Post by achilles » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:14 pm

When religion doesn't have answers for this life (which may or may not be the only one we have), the solution is invariably to punt to the next life. If it's too inconvenient to give food and medicine to the poor, why not baptize dead people instead? They aren't around to complain.

I'm sorry if this comes across as cynical. But I just don't see how these ordinances could be necessary for all the dead considering how most of them never even had a chance to live the Mormon gospel. Not only that, poor Haitians will be required to tithe to get in. I just...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:32 am

Here are proven ways to help break the cycle of poverty. One will note, none include building large expensive religious buildings.

1) Quality education provides children with the knowledge and life skills they need to realize their full potential, and is essential to creating change in a child’s life. Plan International helps by training teachers, building new schools and breaking down barriers that prevent many children – and girls in particular – from attending school.

2) Access to health care is essential. Plan International helps communities build health clinics, train health care workers and invest in equipment and medicine, so children can grow up healthy and strong.

3) Water and sanitation are also essential for every child’s survival. Each year, Plan helps communities build school latrines, community water points and helps to establish organizations to ensure the continued management and maintenance of water points.

4) Economic security: Plan works to overcome poverty by helping communities around the world gain the economic security they need to thrive. Plan International is training people living in poverty to acquire the skills and knowledge they need to secure a livelihood, and support their families.

5) Child participation: Plan helps children learn their rights and take active roles within their community. Child participation helps children engage in citizenship, express their views and make decisions that will shape their future and influence the people around them.
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

This is a very interesting topic for me. As a TBM I though how wonderful it was to build temples everywhere.

Now I see it as a major insult.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:20 pm

I find it interesting the church is concentrating on building temples in countries that cannot financially sustain temples. It is the members in the U.S. that will fit the bill. And that is what is attractive to these people. They get to go to a nice church and a temple and don't really have to pay for much. It is all supported by the U.S. church. That is certainly a noble venture to bring these resources to the world. Perhaps this is what these impoverished nations need to help them succeed. After many years,they will then hear about the historical issues and stop attending and paying tithing, too. Sort of a cycle...
~2bizE

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 pm

achilles wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:14 pm
When religion doesn't have answers for this life (which may or may not be the only one we have), the solution is invariably to punt to the next life. If it's too inconvenient to give food and medicine to the poor, why not baptize dead people instead? They aren't around to complain.
The only explanation that makes sense is that they believe these buildings are magic, that their very presence extends magical protection across the country. Otherwise what it looks like is a palace with closed doors and country club fees that will be run by and mostly used by wealthy white folks.

The church is literally giving these starving people a stone edifice.
Luke 11:11 wrote: If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

PalmSprings

Post by PalmSprings » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 am

Well said Grace2Daisy!! Let's show compassion by taking care of the poor, hungry and needy! On top of that only a select few will be able to enter.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:34 am

Grace2Daisy wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm
Rather than build a hospital or a clinic, rather than invest in anything that could assist the hungry, rather than build an orphanage, rather than help drill wells for clean water, the LDS church has decided to build a temple so it can offer it's members the "richest blessings of their faith". The ground breaking is set for October 28th.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5 ... d-on-haiti

I'm certain Christ would have said, "Hunger, poverty, orphans. . . . hmm. . . let's build a temple!" Is a shopping mall next?
This!