Mom Has Passed Into Eternity

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mad Jax

Re: Mom Has Passed Into Eternity

Post by Mad Jax » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 am

Sorry to hear it friend. I don't have any words. Thinking of you.

It sounds like your mom passed out of this life in relative comfort. I'm glad you could at least be there.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 am

Very sorry for your loss. It sounds as though it was an amazing experience. To be able to say your goodbyes and have the opportunity to plan a funeral she wanted.

I have gone through that longing for the church and the community- especially at times of loss. I can only speak from my point of view, that what you want the church to be and what it really is are two different things.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 am

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:44 pm
It must have been the spirit whispering to me to make two, that day.
That is so sweet. It is one thing to give digital condolences to those we want to comfort, but digital casseroles add a special emphasis. Add a tray of baklavas from me.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you're getting the support you need in real life, and of course take what you can from all of us in this virtual corner of life.

Regarding this,
achilles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm
I don't know what I believe anymore about the LDS afterlife. But I had a strong suspicion that I would see her again, so we must exist somehow after this? I know it's not very scientific, and maybe wishful thinking, but I'd really like to be reunited with her, my dad, and a literal pack of hounds (beagles, bassets, and a cocker spaniel).
I suspect my perspective of the world/universe is about as scientifically naturalistic as it gets, but I don't think science has anything you need right now in grieving for your mom. Use whatever works for you right now. Whatever gives you strength, helps you to help your dad, and provides meaning in your life--well, whatever that ends up being, seems priceless to me.

Wishing you comfort amigo,
Zack

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:05 pm

((hugs)) achilles. It's hard to lose your mom. ((hugs))

I can feel this more than I normally would, as my niece went to the hospital with an aneurysm on Monday (serious brain damage they said), and was taken off life support today. Passed a few minutes later.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 am

Hugs and condolences, Achilles. Your mom raised a good son.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:31 am

It is so sad to have to say goodbye to our mothers.
Sorry you have joined this group. My mom died many years ago and I still often wish I could ask her a question on a regular basis.
I hope you find peace and feel the love from family and friends.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 am

I'm so sorry, Achilles. ((Hugs))
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

achilles

Post by achilles » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 am

Yesterday, my father and I visited the crematorium to see my mom. She was previously dressed by my sister in a beautiful white dress and the temple clothing. It was wonderful to see her and touch her (although she was cold from the freezer!) and say goodbye as she entered the chamber.

I'm just resting and thinking this morning. It is so surreal that she is gone. I think I'm beginning to realize that she has died and moved on to where ever we go when we die. We will have a memorial service for her next Friday evening. I hope to have a bit more closure then.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Enough

Post by Enough » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:25 am

I'm thinking of you & your family-- during this time of transition. I've never lost anyone close to me. I don't really know what that is like --Yet.

Much love to you. <3

Journey

Post by Journey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 am

I am very sorry for your loss, Achilles! Hoping that time brings you comfort and peace. Much love to you and your family!

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 am

Sorry for your loss. May you find peace and hope through this all. IDK where my hope and faith about eternity are, but I suspect the death of a loved one would/will make me hope for truth in it all. Not in Mormon heaven, but in eternal existence of some kind.

Be patient with the COJCOLDS and its adherents in your family during this time. They are doing the best they can with their understanding.

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 am

achilles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm

We visited a funeral home in Northern Utah to make arrangements. It was essentially an LDS church meeting house (you know, same carpet, same Greg Olsen paintings, same furniture, curtains that would fit right in at a temple). Like a few times before I felt...the Spirit? I felt peaceful. And I feel like I want that back in my life. But I know that the Church and I will probably never be in agreement about my sexual orientation, and I can't let them hurt me anymore. I don't know...
I am sorry for the rough times. There is no playbook for stuff like this.

I have at times felt what I thought might have been the spirit? too. The last time was, ironically, in church the other day. July 24th, they sang come come ye saints. I felt some stirrings, and it wasnt the woman in front of me with a sleeveless dress...
What I think I felt was a respect for my ancestors who walked across the plains. Sure they were sacrificing for some false advertised material. Sure, they could have stayed home and I would not have judged them any less. But the depth of their belief is something I respect. How many people go through life without a strong belief in anything? I think I was feeling that respect and recognition of some people who had done something hard, and stayed positive about it! That is awesome in my view. I was feeling that. I think you can still have that in your life, with or without the church. If you can do it with the church, attending at times you know will allow you to feel the spirit, do it! If you can find something else that also allows you to feel something similar, do it!

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:19 pm

So sorry to hear about you mom Achilles... I know things were looking hopeful too. Glad you got to be there with her.
Wish I could scoop you and Mopag into a big hug.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm so sorry I'm just now reading this. ((Hugs Achilles)) So many, many hugs from me!

I know what you mean about feeling that they do live on. When I got to the hospital, the police wouldn't let me see my little boy's body. So the nurses took me to another room where I just howled and sobbed. After awhile I did feel like my sweet boy was there with me. I'll never forget that. In fact I cling to that hope. Not a hope for the LDS afterlife (I don't want to be chattel) but a place where the love we've shared and nurtured here on this earth is what connects us to each other.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound