Mom Has Passed Into Eternity

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
achilles

Mom Has Passed Into Eternity

Post by achilles » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Well folks, yesterday was rough. My mom began to decline again two days ago and ended up back in the ICU. She and my father talked and she made clear that she didn't want to be hooked up to all kinds of hoses again. My father gathered some close relatives and friends to say goodbyes. Around 10 pm she said she was ready and they began to withdraw support. My father, her best friend from years past, and I sat with her holding her hand until the end.

That was maybe the toughest experience I've ever had.

I'm taking care of my dad right now to make sure he doesn't go off the rails.

I don't know what I believe anymore about the LDS afterlife. But I had a strong suspicion that I would see her again, so we must exist somehow after this? I know it's not very scientific, and maybe wishful thinking, but I'd really like to be reunited with her, my dad, and a literal pack of hounds (beagles, bassets, and a cocker spaniel).

We visited a funeral home in Northern Utah to make arrangements. It was essentially an LDS church meeting house (you know, same carpet, same Greg Olsen paintings, same furniture, curtains that would fit right in at a temple). Like a few times before I felt...the Spirit? I felt peaceful. And I feel like I want that back in my life. But I know that the Church and I will probably never be in agreement about my sexual orientation, and I can't let them hurt me anymore. I don't know...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

TestimonyLost

Re: Mom Has Passed Into Eternity

Post by TestimonyLost » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Geez, rough day in NOMdom. I'm so sorry to hear this. We're all thinking of you!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Sorry to hear this Achilles. Please take care of yourself and your dad. Let us know how we can help in any way. Even if it's to talk to someone in real life. Many of us have received IRL support from fellow Nommies over the phone.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Sorry Achilles. Sending digital hugs.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. What a rough time for all! Glad you are there for your dad. Don't forget to take care of yourself! {{{achilles}}}
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for sharing that. I hope you find some comfort through all this.

You got me to thinking. When my mom passes I'm sure she'll want the standard LDS funeral, which I'm fine with. It's quite possible she'll pass away and never know of my disaffection with the church. But what if I passed away tomorrow? My DW and I both want cremation and won't be buried in those funny JS undies. We just don't see the need to be putting financial burden on our loved ones with all the added expense of dealing with our dead bodies and paying for a plot of earth when we could just be sprinkled on the wind over some mountain top or lake. With both of our mom's unaware of our being out of the church, what would it be like for them to find out after the fact? I'm going to talk about this tonight with DW and we'll need to also update our living wills.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread or diminish your loss. Death of loved ones certainly changes one's frame of mind for a time. I think we might need a discussion on this topic on NOM in another thread.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

My heart aches for your loss, Achilles. I'm so, so sorry.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

achilles

Post by achilles » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:31 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:09 pm
Thanks for sharing that. I hope you find some comfort through all this.

You got me to thinking. When my mom passes I'm sure she'll want the standard LDS funeral, which I'm fine with. It's quite possible she'll pass away and never know of my disaffection with the church. But what if I passed away tomorrow? My DW and I both want cremation and won't be buried in those funny JS undies. We just don't see the need to be putting financial burden on our loved ones with all the added expense of dealing with our dead bodies and paying for a plot of earth when we could just be sprinkled on the wind over some mountain top or lake. With both of our mom's unaware of our being out of the church, what would it be like for them to find out after the fact? I'm going to talk about this tonight with DW and we'll need to also update our living wills.
She asked to donate organs and be cremated. We'll still get a burial plot where the main urn will be interred, and keep a small urn at home with the ashes of the dogs. (and I suspect my dad will "accidentally" drop a few ashes at Disneyland this fall).

She will be dressed in temple clothing for the cremation. It comforts my father, and since there will be no viewing, I don't have any problem with that.

The funeral will not be the standard LDS funeral. We will have a service at the funeral home (which is essentially an LDS chapel), where we will pick the music, speakers, topics, etc. The cremation and service package is around $3000. Small price to pay to avoid the standard LDS funeral high-jacked by a Plan o'Salvation spiel. We control who is invited and how the service goes.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Condolences Achiles.

You're a great son, you know that? If I pass peacefully, all I hope for is a loved one or two there to hold my hand like you did with your mom. <3
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:44 pm

I just went to my digital freezer to get one of these for MoPag,. It must have been the spirit whispering to me to make two, that day.

I'm so sorry. Your mother is no longer suffering, but I am so sorry for your loss.

{{{Achilles}}}
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm so, so sorry.
achilles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm
I don't know what I believe anymore about the LDS afterlife. But I had a strong suspicion that I would see her again, so we must exist somehow after this? I know it's not very scientific, and maybe wishful thinking, but I'd really like to be reunited with her, my dad, and a literal pack of hounds (beagles, bassets, and a cocker spaniel).
Such an afterlife sounds lovely.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm sorry Achilles, that sounds like a really difficult day. I hope your mom is resting peacefully now. That's good of you to care for your dad in this tough time.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:21 pm

(((Achilles))). Hugs for you in your time of loss. Even when you are somewhat prepared, when loss is real, it still hurts like hell.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:51 pm

So sorry to hear your sad news. Hoping you and your dad find comfort in memories and each other.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:19 pm

achilles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 pm
So sorry for your loss, Achilles. Find your happy place, your mom will be there.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss - truly a tough day at NOM with some of our family losing some of theirs.
achilles wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:31 pm
The funeral will not be the standard LDS funeral. We will have a service at the funeral home (which is essentially an LDS chapel), where we will pick the music, speakers, topics, etc. The cremation and service package is around $3000. Small price to pay to avoid the standard LDS funeral high-jacked by a Plan o'Salvation spiel. We control who is invited and how the service goes.
That sounds wonderful. I'm thinking I will make sure this happens in a written will for myself, so no POS highjacking will occur at mine either. A great idea, and I'm sure your Mom will be remembered properly.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 am

Please accept my condolences, Achilles. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts today.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:52 am

I am so sorry. I hope your vision of an afterlife is fulfilled.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 am

I had a very similar experience with my mom. It's tough. Thoughts and prayers, Achilles.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

redjay

Post by redjay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:14 am

Sorry for your loss. I lost my belief in mormonism, but not my faith in an afterlife.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.