Discovering Family History

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Enoch Witty

Re: Discovering Family History

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Linked wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:09 pm
Enoch Witty wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 pm
Sounds to me like we're related, because I'm 99-percent sure you're describing Erastus Snow.
Yep. What's up cuz?
Heyyyyyy. Did you go to the Snow family reunion like 20-25ish years ago in St. George? I'm 32. Were you a fellow kid hanging out? Maybe we met way back when. :lol:

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:18 pm

I finally saw a picture of GGrandpas first wife. Long story short, he married the second wife basically because first wife couldn't have kids. At least he took care of her the rest of her life, if that's any consolation (yes and no), she had her own house and my grandfather and his siblings called her Auntie, and she was part of the family.

All I can say is, I hope my GGrandfather was truly good to her. I know that he had to go to court at one time over the polygamy thing, but he didn't cut and run to Mexico like so many others did.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am

Enoch Witty wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 pm
Linked wrote:
Enoch Witty wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 pm
Sounds to me like we're related, because I'm 99-percent sure you're describing Erastus Snow.
Yep. What's up cuz?
Heyyyyyy. Did you go to the Snow family reunion like 20-25ish years ago in St. George? I'm 32. Were you a fellow kid hanging out? Maybe we met way back when. :lol:
I didn't make that reunion, my uncle is the one who is into the family stuff, but he left the church 30ish years ago. Maybe that put my side of the family on the black list... There are lots of us Erastus Snow kids though. One of my friends in college and a family in my ward now are Erastus Snow descendants. And those are just the people who it has come up with, which is a pretty obscure topic.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:49 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am
Enoch Witty wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 pm
Linked wrote:

Yep. What's up cuz?
I didn't make that reunion, my uncle is the one who is into the family stuff, but he left the church 30ish years ago. Maybe that put my side of the family on the black list... There are lots of us Erastus Snow kids though. One of my friends in college and a family in my ward now are Erastus Snow descendants. And those are just the people who it has come up with, which is a pretty obscure topic.
Oh yeah, there must be thousands or tens of thousands. This event in St. George wasn't so much a reunion as a convention, to be fair. There were hundreds or maybe even thousands of people there, all descendants of our polygamous ancestor. :)

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm

My sister was telling me that one of my Mom's neighbors was giving my Mom her condolences on my Dad's passing and mentioned that she is related to my Dad. Apparently Mom got a little huffy and told her that she WAS NOT related! I'm thinking, holy crap, Mom, there are people on YOUR side of the family that live in the area, why would it be surprising that there are people on Dad's side?

I did the 23 & Me DNA test and found people with common DNA from both sides. It wasn't that surprising! My other sister & her husband are related about 4 generations back!
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot