What makes NOM special.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Zadok

What makes NOM special.

Post by Zadok » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 am

I am so glad to be allowed back on the new NOM forum. I'll even promise to behave for a few moments. Reddit is fun but it moves too fast. Topics don't hang around long enough to receive enough consideration by the minds and view points of all the potential posters.

NOM is a special place, filled with love and compassion for others, while at the same time, brilliant minds, knowledgeable historians, and we all can be enriched as the spirit pours out the tender mercies of learning the truth of all things. And as has been written, "the truth shall make you free."
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

AllieOop

Re: What makes NOM special.

Post by AllieOop » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am

Yay!!! The emu is back :D

Missed you on the old board, Zadok.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

FreeBird

Post by FreeBird » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 am

I'm really glad to see you back, too. I didn't post on the old board, but I always enjoyed your posts.

Welcome home!

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:47 am

WHat makes NOM special, yes for some of us, old people Reddit is too fast, and it´s also too public by my tastes.
NOM invites depth, thinking, and it´s a smallish crowd, there are friends here.
And there is soo much more, community comes to mind.

It´s home, in the best sense I can have an online home.
I have other hobbies, each with their own forums, but this in the end is home.

Thanks for building me a new home.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:54 am

It´s home, in the best sense I can have an online home.
I have other hobbies, each with their own forums, but this in the end is home.
no-place-like-home.jpg
no-place-like-home.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 9187 times
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:55 am

Completely agree with that. I tried reddit, and it just wasn’t the same.

BTW, here’s an upvote for you! :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:37 am

Deepthinker wrote:Completely agree with that. I tried reddit, and it just wasn’t the same.

NOM is like a campfire with friends. Reddit is like a drive-by shooting.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:44 am

Hagoth wrote:
Deepthinker wrote:Completely agree with that. I tried reddit, and it just wasn’t the same.

NOM is like a campfire with friends. Reddit is like a drive-by shooting.
A drive by shooting with friends, right?

The leaked videos were awesome!

What makes NOM special for me is the new friends IRL and the endless support and understanding that is needed for living post disaffection. Therapy is needed too, but an online community is invaluable.

Thanks Al Gore for creating the internet!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:52 am

Good to see that it's back...and you too Z. Hope you've been well.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:04 pm

No matter where I roamed NOM will always be home and that is what makes it special. Great to see our favorite emu back!!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Nowyoutellme

Post by Nowyoutellme » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:03 pm

It is the people and their personal stories that make this place so special for me. Each unique shared experience lets me know I am not alone in my journey. No other site or forum comes even close. Much like the difference in feel between just a house and a home. I so wish I could meet many of you IRL, just too far away from the Mordor. I did enjoy the conference calls I was able to join.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Missed you Zadok. This is one more place we can be special outside that remedial classroom back in school. ;)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:02 pm

NOM is special because it's a genuine community rather than a board that lacks definition and cohesiveness (I am thinking of Reddit when I say that). Reddit has other great merits - it is widely read, people don't hold punches there, and it's done a lot to raise awareness to the deep issues in the church. NOM, however, is a place where we can relate to each other, weigh in on how we feel as individuals without fear of being attacked (rather than the apologist boards or the atmosphere in the completely anti environments. This is such a great site for those whose shelves have just gotten heavy and who need a place to figure things out and determine how they, individually, can or will move forward. For some, that means breaking loose from the church (either officially or behaviorally) and for others, it means staying active but with an internal awareness that things are not what they used to be.

Everyone is welcomed here, and everyone is loved. You are part of my family and I am thankful to be here.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:19 pm

Zadok wrote:I am so glad to be allowed back on the new NOM forum. I'll even promise to behave for a few moments. Reddit is fun but it moves too fast. Topics don't hang around long enough to receive enough consideration by the minds and view points of all the potential posters.

NOM is a special place, filled with love and compassion for others, while at the same time, brilliant minds, knowledgeable historians, and we all can be enriched as the spirit pours out the tender mercies of learning the truth of all things. And as has been written, "the truth shall make you free."
And you are a very special EMU. :-)

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:46 pm

moksha wrote:Missed you Zadok. This is one more place we can be special outside that remedial classroom back in school. ;)
At least you were able to graduate from the "short-bus" school. Me, they just waited until I was too big to fit in the desks, and then they told me to quit coming.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

NotKeepingQuiet

Post by NotKeepingQuiet » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 am

Holy cow! I have been in withdrawal since the old site went down. Exmormon Reddit is too mean spirited for my taste. I enjoy the thoughtful and humorous insights only found here. Thank you so much for getting this train back on the tracks. Also, please notice the nuance in changing my name from KeepingQuiet, to NotKeepingQuiet. I'm becoming more vocal about what I find distasteful. Honestly, if the RS president doesn't like how I completely disregard those HORRENDOUS lessons in HWH manual and teach from the New Testament, she can fire me. I just can't abide another fluffy primary level lesson.

Stig

Post by Stig » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Two things make NOM special for me:

1 - It reminds me I'm not alone, both in faith loss and in trying to keep my marriage together.

2 - I've met several great people IRL through this board.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Hagoth wrote:NOM is like a campfire with friends. Reddit is like a drive-by shooting.
Love this. For me NOM is full of people like me: those that will look truth in the face even if it hurts them, but choose to stay respectful of those who can't.

In my opinion Reddit participants generally tend towards being as black-and-white as they accuse the church of being, and StayLDS is full of people who still prefer to turn their head and squint slightly when they look at the facts. Of course there is a need for all of these.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

clean sweep

Post by clean sweep » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:13 am

I use both Reddit and NOM. What makes NOM special:

1. It is a soft place to land when you are making a most difficult transition. It fills a nitch that no other forum fills. I was so amazed when I reached my 2000th post on the old NOM.

2. I made real friends here. People I see and am glad to see. Hence the "Lucky 13" gathering and others I have been to.

3. It is an easier place to learn.

Why do I use Reddit? When I needed a place to be really angry I could go there and be angry. I am actually beyond the transition stage and consider myself fully "apostate". When I am here and what I hope for in doing the gathering I do is to just help. The people on NOM new and old will always be my friends.

My new avatar picture is my current persona on the boards. Thanks Zadok for helping us remember why we came here, we were all flightless birds who were trying to gain flight.
The organization and constant onward sweep of this movement exemplifies the resentment of the many toward the selfishness, greed and the neglect of the few. John L. Lewis

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:16 am

I am loving this thread.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.