Haven't Bought Garments in over 10 Years - Help me out

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
country girl

Haven't Bought Garments in over 10 Years - Help me out

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 pm

I feel stupid asking this but it’s been a while for me. I haven’t bought garments in over 10 years but the time has come that I need to purchase some. I have been living my lovely half-lie life just fine, but now I need to help my son navigate through these things. He’s going on a mission in September and we will need to get him the proper underwear for the temple. But it’s been sooooo long since I’ve bought them and I don’t want to ask anyone local because they don’t know how far mentally out I am.
So, seriously, how do I go about buying garments? Last time I bought them I went to a store in Orem (I seriously can’t remember the name, but I remember the location) and they were in the back of the store. Kinda like the naughty section of the store…. (just kidding). Also, do I need his member id #? Thanks in advance for the help. I seriously feel really stupid for asking this!

oliver_denom

Re: Haven't Bought Garments in over 10 Years - Help me out

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Go to: https://store.lds.org

You'll need to sign in with an LDS.org account. There's a link for purchasing garments.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:37 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 pm
Go to: https://store.lds.org

You'll need to sign in with an LDS.org account. There's a link for purchasing garments.
Ya do it all online.
I don't think he'll mind if I say this, but AZflyer recently ordered some online.

No 65 yr old ladies helping you buy underwear - I always hated that.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I haven't made an LDS.org account. Just shows how big of an apostate I am! He has an account so I'll just be sure to tell him to take care of it that way. Thanks all!! Now I can sound like I know what I talking about.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm

If he wants to try them on look up Beehive Clothing.

He may want to ask them about the different types of fabrics depending on his mission location.

The polyester mesh were horrible.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 pm

So, without giving too much info out he is going to the south. Humid and hot. What do you think is best?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 pm

country girl wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 pm
So, without giving too much info out he is going to the south. Humid and hot. What do you think is best?
No garments?

Since that isn't an option the cotton ones are more breathable. The T-shirts are bad though in humidity. Maybe cotton bottoms and mesh tops. Back In my G wearing days I bought a couple of pairs of both types and then eventually settled on the ones I liked. I believe they have more options now but don't know. It's been about 10 years for me too since I've worn them.
Last edited by Red Ryder on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm

You'll need a TR to order them, I believe. You can order them with your own TR, but if he hasn't yet been through the temple, he may not be able to order them. It's been a while since I had to order the ugly, nasty things, so I could be way wrong.

If you're in the Moridor, go to one of the stores that has church stuff and ask questions. Or go to the distribution center at a temple (any temple). They deal with first-time G-buyers all the time, and will answer questions, help with figuring out a size, and give tips on fabrics. Don't worry about your own inexperience; you're the mom trying to help your son buy Gs, and nobody will think a thing about it.

By the way - I heard they're coming out with new Gs and discontinuing some of the styles and fabrics. The distribution people can give you updates on that.

Best of luck to your son as he goes on the mission. I'm no longer in the church, but I understand the desire to do that, and I admire you for being supportive of his plans.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm
You'll need a TR to order them, I believe. You can order them with your own TR, but if he hasn't yet been through the temple, he may not be able to order them. It's been a while since I had to order the ugly, nasty things, so I could be way wrong.
You don't need a TR to order them online. You just need to be an endowed member which is why you need your membership ID number.

Not sure how they manage with new missionaries who need them for the temple but haven't been endowed yet. Probably parents just buy them or they go in to the Beehive Clothing Distribution Center.

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm

No current TR. I'll have him look at his profile to see if there is an option to order them since he has a call and all. I live in very rural BFU with no distribution center, but I'll be making my way up to the promised land to hit all the cool, missionary shopping spots. Good lord it costs a ton to get them out there. Between bikes, tablets, luggage, and the million white shirts this is getting ridiculous. He doesn't have an endowment date set yet, but he should be getting that figured out... soon.... Since he leaves in a month.

country girl

Post by country girl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm
Best of luck to your son as he goes on the mission. I'm no longer in the church, but I understand the desire to do that, and I admire you for being supportive of his plans.
Thanks Silver Girl! He's a pretty well grounded kid, so I hope he has a great experience. I've talked to him at length about what he should be focusing on for the 2 years. I want him to have the attitude that he's out there to bring joy to the world and to do service, not baptisms. I hope it sticks with him.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

country girl wrote:
Not sure what new types are out the last 3-4 years, but I had tried most of them and always went with the cotton. You can go down a size on the bottoms so they fit more like standard boxer briefs from fruit-o-loom and don't hang out the bottom of your summer shorts. If he's a loose boxer guy, then there are non-cotton silkier versions.

If there's time, buy some of each and take them for a test drive, then buy more of the ones he likes...er, can tolerant the most.

Good luck!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 pm

country girl wrote:
I live in the south. One word, "mesh". During the summers you will break into a sweat the moment you step outside.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:32 pm

There is also a wicking fabric that is meant for those living in humid climates. I can't verify the effectiveness however. Either the website or the lady at the counter can give you the details. If there's a distribution center near the temple (often in back of the nearest Deseret Book) he is going through, you could buy him one or 2 pairs on line, then drop into the store after he is endowed to get more or change sizes, etc.

Best of luck to both of you as you go through this crazy adventure.