New business acquisitions by LDS Church

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

New business acquisitions by LDS Church

Post by moksha » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:27 am

Raytheon Corp.'s new office campus in Richardson's $1.5 billion CityLine project has sold. It's been purchased by Property Reserve Inc., a real estate and investment arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The three-building, 500,000-square-foot office complex on Bush Turnpike east of Plano Road cost almost $100 million to develop.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... yline-sold
Raytheon's lease on the building runs through 2026. The CityLine Project is planned to eventually contain 6 million square feet of offices, almost 4,000 apartments, two hotels and 300,000 square feet of retail space.

There is no indication as to what the Church paid for these buildings, but they were built at 1/12th the cost of the City Creek Mall.

A possible testimony building jingle for primary age children would be, "Every day in every way we are becoming a bigger and stronger corporation".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: New business acquisitions by LDS Church

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:02 am

Raytheon huh? Are you sure the church hasn't moved from building malls to protect its temples to building anti-anti-Mormon missiles?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 am

All of this business acquiring leads me to assume that, as the church owns and operates more and more for-profit businesses, that the emphasis on promoting General Authorities will lean even more heavily toward lawyers and businessmen. What are the implications for the future of common members in such an organization? Will it come to resemble something more like a megachurch with the goal of getting more people in and helping them to have a good experience that's worth the cover price and less like an inquisition trying to enforce its agenda?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 am
What are the implications for the future of common members in such an organization? Will it come to resemble something more like a megachurch with the goal of getting more people in and helping them to have a good experience that's worth the cover price and less like an inquisition trying to enforce its agenda?
So with the Church focus on its corporate side, they can be gentler and more tolerant toward members in its religious wing?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

NOMelgänger

Post by NOMelgänger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:47 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:13 am
All of this business acquiring leads me to assume that, as the church owns and operates more and more for-profit businesses, that the emphasis on promoting General Authorities will lean even more heavily toward lawyers and businessmen. What are the implications for the future of common members in such an organization? Will it come to resemble something more like a megachurch with the goal of getting more people in and helping them to have a good experience that's worth the cover price and less like an inquisition trying to enforce its agenda?
I think the last GA I can recall that was a true scholar and theologian was Neal A. Maxwell. He knew his s*** and spoke it beautifully. None of the suits today even come close.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 am

How much time does the Top 15 & other GAs spend discussing theology, religious philosophy, etc vs how much time they spend going over the financials and discussing return on investments?

I would guess it's about 0% time spent on theology and 100% of their meetings are about their return on investment.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:14 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 am
How much time does the Top 15 & other GAs spend discussing theology, religious philosophy, etc vs how much time they spend going over the financials and discussing return on investments?

I would guess it's about 0% time spent on theology and 100% of their meetings are about their return on investment.
Which is why the 14 Fundamentals is required. It is sinful to expect then to know what they're talking about.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 pm

What can you say? Mormonism believes in a p̶r̶o̶f̶i̶t̶ prophet. Sorry auto-correct error. :twisted:
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Good grief! The "Real Estate Arm" of the cult. Nice way to behave like a church, TSCC.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 pm

After reading the leaked report of 316 pages of reported sexual abuse in the church, I can see how investments in money producing enterprise will be needed to pay for all the lawsuits.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:37 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
How much time does the Top 15 & other GAs spend discussing theology, religious philosophy, etc...
It does seem unlikely that they have rabbinical-type discussions where they examine intricate details of theology or even mormonology. However, that makes sense if they view themselves more as directors than clergy.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:30 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:

I'm trying to be fair and even-handed about discerning the concentration of their attention. Let me propose that we first consider the strength of their balance sheet against outside economic influences. Then we should consider the strength of their theological posistion against outside philosophical influences. Upon which field of conflict is the LDS church most able to weather assault? Could they ride out and extended economic pressure more easily than extended philosophical pressure?