Called to Teach Gospel Doctrine

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
RS Teacher

Called to Teach Gospel Doctrine

Post by RS Teacher » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am

I was just released over the weekend from my calling as Relief Society teacher. I think I've been in that role about three years, and to be honest, I was really disappointed about being let go. I've managed to take almost any topic in the manual and turn it into something (hopefully) interesting and Christ-focused--at least that has been my goal. And I've really loved it! I love teaching and I loved finding ways to make the lessons thought-provoking and fun.

But now they're asking me to be the new Gospel Doctrine teacher. That's a whole different ball of wax, right? To be honest, I typically don't go to Sunday School because it's just too painful. But I'm thinking I would have to actually teach lessons on very concrete, LDS-based topics in church history, Book of Mormon, etc.

Looking for your thoughts here--is it doable for someone with no faith in the LDS church to teach these classes while maintaining personal integrity? I truly despise JS and BY--I believe that they were abhorrent people who took advantage of others for their own gain. I have zero faith that the church represents the restored gospel.

Should I turn down the calling? How do I say no without telling them how I feel about the church? I just don't feel any need to share my disaffection with anyone in the ward.

Stig

Re: Called to Teach Gospel Doctrine

Post by Stig » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am

I was a Gospel Doctrine teacher when my faith collapse occurred. I had to ask to be released. I simply couldn't do it.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

NOMelgänger

Post by NOMelgänger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:01 am

It could be the hardest thing you've ever done. I was asked to teach the 15-16 year-olds, and when I ran out of pap-filled videos to show them, I resigned. I just knew that I couldn't fake it. I claimed depression & social anxiety for the release, which was technically accurate. For the last year and some, I've been the guy in charge of cleaning the building on Saturday mornings. I resigned that due to back problems a few weeks ago, which were also technically true. I'm still listed as Sunday School 2nd counselor, but have never been asked to do anything with it.

On the other hand, it could be a fantastic opportunity to bring much-needed perspective to the class members without tipping your hand. All it takes is presenting facts from official church sources, like the essays, that none of them have ever bothered to research for themselves. The rest of the time you can mold your questions into having the class discuss things without giving the prescribed lecture.

I wish you luck in your decision!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 am

Welcome back!

If you love to teach and can make it Christ centered than accept the calling. You can always quit later. The church needs good teachers who can focus on the guy the church is named after. Sunday school is the worst part of the three hours because of the correlated curriculum. You could make it better with your teaching style. Do you have to teach weekly?

If you do accept, we can always change your user name! :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RS Teacher

Post by RS Teacher » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks Red Ryder. Its good to be back! I think I'll need my user name changed either way.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 am

Being the GD teacher was one of the final weights on my shelf prior to collapse.

It can be done, I and wish the best. All you need to do is give a non-correlated lesson and people with think you're an amazing teaching. While no one will say it out loud, every thinks those lessons are boring as F. So something new, anything new, is always met with much appreciation.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Emower

Post by Emower » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:47 am

I was the sunday school president/GD teacher and mission prep teacher when my shelf went. I also couldnt do it. I actually had fun developing the lessons. What I couldnt handle were all the conservative members who were unhappy with the way I was going with the lesson and they would try to steer the conversation back into the comfortable waters of whitewashed history, hurtful doctrines, and conservative pseudo-religion. It would drive me nuts when in response to a lesson about empathy Sis. whoever would say things like "but we have to remember that the commandments are there for a reason and obedience is the most important thing we can do here on this earth..." Then everyone else would nod their head and agree with this sage woman. That would just negate the whole lesson I had planned and its really hard to recover from that without making a scene. Some people can do it, I couldnt. Mission prep was hard because I just disagreed with everything that was being taught in that curriculum. I mentioned the rock in a hat, made one kid really uncomfortable, and at that point I said screw it. This isnt worth my time.

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm

The worst thing about your new calling is you have to change your name from "RS Teacher" to "GD Teacher" :o

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I couldn't do it. I know because I was teaching and just couldn't take the stress of trying to come up with a decent lesson that I actually agreed with that wouldn't land me in hot water. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

sparky

Post by sparky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Welcome to the club! I was just called as GD teacher a couple of weeks ago (see here). It's strange how they insist on calling the faithless to teach, isn't it? I could have written the statement in your third paragraph myself: "I truly despise JS and BY--I believe that they were abhorrent people who took advantage of others for their own gain. I have zero faith that the church represents the restored gospel."

I accepted the calling solely to placate my DW. I have substituted for GD a couple of times since I stopped believing, and I pretty much just threw out the manual and cherry-picked the humanist elements of the scriptures to focus on and discuss. Got quite a few compliments, I was obviously teaching with "the spirit" despite my internal apostasy. I don't enjoy it, but it can be done. If you do take the calling, there are three approaches I can think of:

1. Don't waste much of your valuable time preparing, and just hold your nose and go through the manual each week to get through the hour. The most boring and least honest way of going about it, but it'll require the least amount of work from you.

2. Do as I mentioned above and genuinely try to construct a humanist (or, if you're into that sort of thing, a Christ-centered) lesson that ignores the nonsensical parts of the scriptures/church history. This will require more investment from you, but you can at least feel good/honest about it. Sounds like what you were doing with the RS lessons, but as you say it might be more difficult with the church history focus in GD this year.

3. Try to be subversive--throw in non-faith promoting aspects from, for example, the essays or other forgotten bits of church history. Get people to question, load up their shelves. Could be a lot of fun if you're the boat rocker type.

Good luck if you do take the calling. You can always come commiserate here.

EDIT: I just reread your questions at the end:
RS Teacher wrote:Should I turn down the calling? How do I say no without telling them how I feel about the church? I just don't feel any need to share my disaffection with anyone in the ward.
You don't have to tell them anything about how you feel or share your disaffection. You can just say "No." It's a complete sentence. If you do feel like you need to tell them a reason, just keep it simple: "I just don't feel it's the right calling for me right now." They can't argue with that, and if they pry then just keep repeating until they stop.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't see how you could stomach it given that you have "zero faith". You definitely couldn't follow the manuals, but if you were really good at asking questions (and follow-up questions when people respond with standard Mormon platitudes) you may be able to make it work.

I would recommend saying no to the calling anyway. You don't need to give reasons beyond "it's not a good time right now", "I wouldn't feel comfortable" or "It's all a lie". Why would you say yes when you have no faith in the church? It may be time to stand up for what you believe in, at least to a small degree, instead of living a lie.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

RS Teacher

Post by RS Teacher » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:22 am

Why would you say yes when you have no faith in the church? It may be time to stand up for what you believe in, at least to a small degree, instead of living a lie.
Really good question. Why would I say yes? I really enjoyed teaching RS because each lesson became a philosophical and spiritual exploration. And that element of preparing for the lessons was really fun for me. Being in the classroom leading the discussions was fun as well. Somehow in the RS context, with just general gospel topics to discuss, I could go in almost any direction I wanted. I just tried to not cross certain lines, keeping in mind the core beliefs of my audience. I would just try to uplift and inspire some critical thinking.

Part of me is hoping that I could keep doing that in Gospel Doctrine. But realistically I don't think that would be possible. Those lessons seem far stricter. And what's more, the topics require some real expertise. Not that anyone teaching those classes has any expertise at all, but I would feel like an utter fraud.

Sparky provides a great summary of my three options. None sound viable. My 11 year old son pointed out at the dinner table last night that if I went with option 3 (being a bit subversive), the whole neighborhood would view me as that crazy lady on the corner. He wasn't keen on that idea.

Thank you for all your thoughts. I'll let you know when I have the actual conversation with the BP.

RS Teacher

Post by RS Teacher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am

I've been too busy to find time to meet wit the bishopric in person, so the first counselor texted me this morning to ask if I would accept the calling. I sent a text back saying that after much thought and prayer, I was sorry to say that I would not be able to accept the calling.

Got to love text messaging!

Stig

Post by Stig » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am

RS Teacher wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am
I've been too busy to find time to meet wit the bishopric in person, so the first counselor texted me this morning to ask if I would accept the calling. I sent a text back saying that after much thought and prayer, I was sorry to say that I would not be able to accept the calling.

Good decision, IMO.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:23 am

Agreed, unless you're the type who loves to stir stuff up, this would have been very emotionally and mentally draining.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 am

Congrats!

I've done the same thing waiting nearly 3 weeks after the call was extended. :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

sparky

Post by sparky » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 am

RS Teacher wrote:

Good on you for making your own decision and not bowing to social pressure. I would have done the same if my circumstances were just slightly different.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 am

RS Teacher wrote:

Way to go! It can be hard to push back on a calling even when you know it would be a bad thing to accept. And definitely love text messaging. if you have to participate in tithing settlement I highly recommend tithing settlement by text message.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:31 am

Excellent decision -- good for you ! Sometimes it is so much easier to communicate by text than over the phone or in person. I think you really dodged a bullet, and you'll be so much happier not having to prepare those lessons. :) - Wndr