How prevalent is this....?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Can of Worms

How prevalent is this....?

Post by Can of Worms » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I haven't been to Church in 3 years and I'm not in the MorCor or in the US so this article caught me off-guard:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... acist.html

Not sure why I was surprised given the long institutional history of racial exceptionalism nor current discriminatory practices....
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

NOMelgänger

Re: How prevalent is this....?

Post by NOMelgänger » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Whether you consider Trump a racist or not, he's definitely made the white supremacists feel empowered enough to speak out. It's scary.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 pm

This kind of stuff and people who support this type of supremacist thinking make me physically ill. It is my hope that one day, "Mrs. wife with a purpose" and her followers find a new purpose, one that is not hate filled.

I found it interesting that the church came out and denounced white supremacy. I see it as nothing but a PR moment. When I read the statement I thought, are we talking about the same church? This is not the church I remembered. I remember a church with a long history of exclusionary and hateful practices; black and women priesthood, LGBTQ , white and delightsome skin curses, etc. Mormons do teach and preach exclusionary thought just not so loud like "Mrs. wife with a purpose." It is more in the messages they send and their white favoritism. Sure we love and accept everyone, but don't be gay, don't marry my white daughter, shine that camera on the only black person in the room so the world can see we love blacks too .... see.... we.love.all.people.

I haven't been to church in almost 5 years and the church I remembered was full of racists who in their own quiet and sometimes vocal way let me and my children know weren't the same as their white family. No, I am not black or of a race of anything other than white. What I am is a mother of black children who I adopted. You do not know how white this church is until you raise a black child in it. They welcome your child into your home to play but damn.... don't date my daughter! If a prank is pulled at scouts the black kid is always looked to first. I've had well meaning brothers and sisters in the church tell me that my children's skin looks "whiter" and in the summer when we all get darker sure enough someone will point out my children are getting "darker." My children have had to sit through the white and delightsome lessons and told they were cursed by God because of their sins and somehow less than their friends sitting right next to them in class. I've been told my children act like monkeys, called the "N" word, etc. I could tell stories until the cows come home but will stop here. My thoughts are if the church is going to stand up and denounce white supremacy then they need to clean their house first.

There is no place for this kind of hate anywhere especially in churches that are supposed to be preaching love.
Last edited by SeeNoEvil on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks NOMelganger. I am a political junkie and follow the news in the US very closely. This was really what surprised me most last week .... and it was a week with a lot of surprises! :o

My next question is - how big a movement is this within the church? Will it shake people to the leave the same way that women and the priesthood and LGBTQ issues have? As she has publicly criticized the church, do you think she will face discipline?

Interesting times we live in.....
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:32 pm
This kind of stuff and people who support this type of supremacist thinking make me physically ill. It is my hope that one day, "Mrs. wife with a purpose" and her followers find a new purpose, one that is not hate filled.

I found it interesting that the church came out and denounced white supremacy. I see it as nothing but a PR moment. When I read the statement I thought, are we talking about the same church? This is not the church I remembered. I remember a church with a long history of exclusionary and hateful practices; black and women priesthood, LGBTQ , white and delightsome skin curses, etc. Mormons do teach and preach exclusionary thought just not so loud like "Mrs. wife with a purpose." It is more in the messages they send and their white favoritism. Sure we love and accept everyone, but don't be gay, don't marry my white daughter, shine that camera on the only black person in the room so the world can see we love blacks too .... see.... we.love.all.people.

I haven't been to church in almost 5 years and the church I remembered was full of racists who in their own quiet and sometimes vocal way let me and my children know weren't the same as their white family. No, I am not black or of a race of anything other than white. What I am is a mother of black children who I adopted. You do not know how white this church is until you raise a black child in it. They welcome your child into your home to play but damn.... don't date my daughter! If a prank is pulled at scouts the black kid is always looked to first. I've had well meaning brothers and sisters in the church tell me that my children's skin looks "whiter" and in the summer when we all get darker sure enough someone will point out my children are getting "darker." My children have had to sit through the white and delightsome lessons and told they were cursed by God because of their sins and somehow less than their friends sitting right next to them in class. I've been told my children act like monkeys, called the "N" word, etc. I could tell stories until the cows come home but will stop here. My thoughts are if the church is going to stand up and denounce white supremacy then they need to clean their house first.

There is no place for this kind of hate anywhere especially in churches that are supposed to be preaching love.
When i was raising black children, I was extra special in the ward. Its much more self sacrificing than fostering white children. *eye roll*

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 pm
SeeNoEvil wrote:

When i was raising black children, I was extra special in the ward. Its much more self sacrificing than fostering white children. *eye roll*
There was that other side of how we were treated just as you experienced. But there again, WE were the better ones and such "good" people because we rescued these poor children off the streets. :roll: .... grrrrrr!
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:26 pm

A very good TBM friend of mine (and by good, I mean a TBM that can understand other people's POV) has been posting links to articles like this and condemning the wife with (no) purpose BS. It makes me happy.

I'll be the first to stand up and say I grew up with a very negative view of minorities. It didn't help that as a 12-year-old in 7th grade in SE Idaho,we would get catcalls and wolf-whistles from way too many of the adult migrant workers that lived in the town where our school was. As an adult, I have no problem becoming bat-(self edit) crazy on that kind of BS.

I'm a firm believer that travel and experience gives you a whole new outlook on different cultures. I told my son as much before he deployed to Afghanistan. I explained to him that at one point, Afghanistan was one of the most progressive countries in the Middle East. Then the Russian Invasion, which led to the Taliban, and they were plunged back into fundamentalism. I told him the regular every day Afghani just wants to live their lives and feed their children,but they are effectively being held hostage by the Taliban. And you know what, that's exactly what he found, at least at the FOBs.

This country is seriously laking in empathy and frankly it scares me.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 pm

I think this "white culture" is the modern version of Nazism. It tries to hide in the shadows behind the facade of white culture. The only thing the church can really do to change this culture is to vote in some non-white apostles.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:01 pm

That part of calling those who disagree with their hateful rhetoric "anti-white" seems reminiscent of something else I cannot quite put my finger on. Anyway, I suppose the charge of being anti-white is part of racial supremacist apologetics.

BTW, big salute to the LDS Church for issuing that statement. One major prejudice down and only two more to go. It's like we are on a roll.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:21 am

Can of Worms wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:33 pm
Thanks NOMelganger. I am a political junkie and follow the news in the US very closely. This was really what surprised me most last week .... and it was a week with a lot of surprises! :o

My next question is - how big a movement is this within the church? Will it shake people to the leave the same way that women and the priesthood and LGBTQ issues have? As she has publicly criticized the church, do you think she will face discipline?

Interesting times we live in.....
I wonder if a proclamation will be written and read over the pulpit at conference and then published and distributed and the masses told to consider scripture that has but to be canonized. I wonder if that proclamation will be made the subject of talks, lessons or the visiting teaching theme for the entire year. I wonder if those who dare to utter in even the mildest and most vague terms any kind of agreement with those who take exception to this proclamation will then find themselves gossiped about and marginalized because of those views.

I wonder if those people who don't support this hypothetical proclamation will greet their neighbors at the mailbox and their neighbor refuses to talk to them or acknowledge their presence. I wonder if those who are against this hypothetical proclamation will get garment feel-ups. I wonder if a sister who doesn't support this hypothetical proclamation will then get harassed on several and consecutive visits by her visiting teachers with this hypothetical proclamation. I wonder if those people will be called "those people". I wonder if they will have their temple recommends taken and their worthiness called into question. I wonder if they'll be considered apostate and face formal discipline.

Something tells me they won't.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:34 pm

The church is quick to denounce anyone who too loudly proclaims the racist teachings that are woven deeply into the doctrine. I'm glad to hear them denounce white suptemisists but I will take them more seriously when they specifically denounce their own racist doctrines teachings, rather than covering them up and making diversionary excuses.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:31 pm

SeeNoEvil wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:04 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:40 pm
SeeNoEvil wrote:

There was that other side of how we were treated just as you experienced. But there again, WE were the better ones and such "good" people because we rescued these poor children off the streets. :roll: .... grrrrrr!
Exactly.