Gospel Doctrine calling--follow-up

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
RS Teacher

Gospel Doctrine calling--follow-up

Post by RS Teacher » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:19 pm

So last week, I learned via text message from the 1st counselor that they wanted to release me from RS and assign me to teach Gospel Doctrine. I declined the calling, also via text. But I nonetheless found myself in the Bishop's office yesterday after sacrament meeting being offered the Gospel Doctrine assignment--full bishopric in attendance.

Here's the cool part--1st counselor starts off trying to sell me on the role. He's a good salesman, by profession, and I find myself wavering. I explain my concerns in terms of not liking the rigid structure of Gospel Doctrine, preferring the flexibility I find in RS. I don't delve into my deeper concerns.

Bishop says, "The most important thing is you and your family and making sure that your calling doesn't stress you out and take you away from them. Would you like to just stay in RS and let us know if someday you're interested in Gospel Doctrine?"

Yup--so easy as that, I keep my RS calling and dodged that Gospel Doctrine bullet. It's wards like mine that really do feel loving and open and accepting that make it hard for people like me to just give up.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Gospel Doctrine calling--follow-up

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Wow, typically the Bishops I have dealt with don't allow an "out" like that. Perhaps he felt a disturbance in the force.

A New Name

Re: Gospel Doctrine calling--follow-up

Post by A New Name » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

The best part is you don't have to change your user name on NOM. That's a win-win in my book!