The Pain of Stake Conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Deepthinker

The Pain of Stake Conference

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 am

Attended our Stake Conference last Sunday and sat on one of the hard chairs. I injured my back a few years ago and because the back was doing fine that day, I forgot about it and sat for 2 hours on that chair. No getting up for intermediate hymn or restroom break. The next day back pain returns, and now I'm headed for some treatment tomorrow.

DW and I have been training for a marathon in the next few months coming up. I said a prayer last night that the back would get better so I could at least do some light training this morning. I get up this morning and my back is just stiff and painful. I was so upset about going to Stake Conference and hurting my back I went running anyway.

Told DW after my run how upset I am, mostly for my own stupidity for sitting there for so long, but I told her I didn't get anything out of the meeting.

Sitting there for 2 hours and listening to most boring talks was painful enough. Now I may not even be able to run a marathon with my wife, something I've really been looking forward to doing.

OK, rant over.

didyoumythme

Re: The Pain of Stake Conference

Post by didyoumythme » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:19 am

Sorry about your back pain, I have had some lower back pain myself and it can be quite difficult. Also I agree that talks in church are almost unbearable. I can't seem to get anything out of them anymore - they just sound like nonsense to me now. People just say what is supposed to be said to fit in, but there are very few unique thoughts.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:40 am

Deepthinker wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 am
Sitting there for 2 hours and listening to most boring talks was painful enough. Now I may not even be able to run a marathon with my wife, something I've really been looking forward to doing.

OK, rant over.
I thought the pain of the talks would be the topic. I'm sorry that SC caused physical pain. Those hard chairs are murder on my back, also.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

Next time; if there is one; bring some comfortable camp chairs to sit in
~2bizE

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:28 pm

That's interesting that Stake Conference caused a pain in your back. For me it's usually just a pain in the ass!

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Deepthinker wrote:
Told DW after my run how upset I am, mostly for my own stupidity for sitting there for so long, but I told her I didn't get anything out of the meeting.
Did she agree with you (about not getting anything out of the meeting)?

And...so sorry about your back :cry:
(P.S. I always hated stake conference and usually didn't attend even when I was fully active.)
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

My husband is still TBM, but even when we both believed we decided that Stake Conf was a total waste of time. When we had lots of little kids, we would wind up leaving. Who in the Hell decided 2 hour sacrament meeting was a good idea with toddlers? 1 hour and 20 min is torture enough. And the talks are a bunch of mind numbing nonesense that no one can hear over loud kids. Just say no. Draw a line. Life is too short. Inform your wife that every 6 months, you are going to take that Sunday and plan a special day trip/picnic or something with the family.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Stake Conference truly is pain and suffering. Even without back problems, those chairs are horrible.

As a missionary, I would think how awesome it would be to take investigators to a Stake Conference or similar. Now I shutter in horror in inviting a friend to go to something like that. Everything about it would be terrible
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm
Deepthinker wrote:
Did she agree with you (about not getting anything out of the meeting)?

And...so sorry about your back :cry:
(P.S. I always hated stake conference and usually didn't attend even when I was fully active.)
Yes! She did agree with me about the meeting! That is the one bright spot of this whole thing.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm

A New Name wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:28 pm
That's interesting that Stake Conference caused a pain in your back. For me it's usually just a pain in the ass!
:lol:
This time it was both for me.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am
Or pack the camp chairs, and go camping instead. :)

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Deepthinker wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:27 pm
Yes! She did agree with me about the meeting! That is the one bright spot of this whole thing.
That's great! It's not a total loss then :D
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Stake Conferences in the mission field were even worse. It would be a hour and a half drive in to the stake center in the morning. Usually meaning you had to get up extra early to get everyone up and ready to go in order to get there on time. A 2 hour meeting, and then another hour and a half drive home. You would spend more time traveling than actual meeting. Fire sides were the worst. it's an hour long meeting which means you will be getting home late in addition to waste all the time in the car.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 am

Oh, man, stake conferences are the worst. They seem to always be a call to repentance. I still attend a couple times a month for my wife's sake, but HELL if I'm going to any stake conference. I won't go.
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 am

Myself, and even my believing family members gave up on "conference" meetings long ago.

Any LDS meeting with the word "conference" in the title is translated as: "Religious Holiday."

(Of course I've given up on ALL LDS meetings. Sundays are MUCH better now.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:44 am

Deepthinker wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 pm
2bizE wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am
Or pack the camp chairs, and go camping instead. :)
I came here to say this.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Newme

Post by Newme » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm

I haven't been to "Stank conference" (as my kids call it) in years.
My kids love Stank conference because it's a day off.

Bummer about your back.
Metaphysically - could be some feeling of not being supported &/or a wish others would "get off my back." Then again it could be a combo of put-you-to-sleep in bad position speakers, hard chairs and age.

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Newme wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm
I haven't been to "Stank conference" (as my kids call it) in years.
My kids love Stank conference because it's a day off.

Bummer about your back.
Metaphysically - could be some feeling of not being supported &/or a wish others would "get off my back." Then again it could be a combo of put-you-to-sleep in bad position speakers, hard chairs and age.
lol, I love it, "Stank Conference" I might have to steal that nickname. :lol:

hope your back gets feeling better, putting in all that work, and then not getting to go the the ball, isn't fun.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Even as a TBM I hated stake conference. I've lived in stake for twelve years and have been once...when a new SP was called. No, I skipped that one too. Don't remember which it was, but I sat on the hard chairs.
~2bizE

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Sing in the choir. You get to sit in the soft seats on the stand. Of course that means you have to go...
“This is the best part of the week!” – Homer Simpson
“It’s the longest possible time before more church!” – Lisa Simpson