End of Summer Confession Time

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Spicy McHaggis

Re: End of Summer Confession Time

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:07 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:43 pm
On a hot summer day I stopped at a fast food place to get ice cream for the kids and ordered my first iced tea. It was so bad I threw it out, but it was hot outside so I drank my three-year old’s water he’d backwashed in. Truly, the punishment fit the crime.

In other news, I bought attractive and totally garment unfriendly pajamas. I began taking green tea supplements to get my caffeine. I grew hops in the backyard.
I've become somewhat of an iced tea connoisseur. Fast food iced tea is almost always awful. Don't give up on finding delicious iced tea because of that one experience. For fast food, Chick-Fil-A isn't bad. It's not great but it's not bad.

A good iced tea is my favorite drink on earth.

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:02 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:44 pm
Fun thread.
Only new sins that we started this summer? I mean, I have lots of old sins. But new this summer? I will have to confess to sloth. See, we have this lovely deck overlooking Bear Lake and it is so nice to just sit and watch the lake shift color as clouds drift by, watch the hummingbirds fight over our five feeders, watch for our local deer who likes to bed down in the bushes right next to our lot, so, yeah, sloth. That and drinking iced coffee.
It's no wonder you have no need to sin, relaxing in paradise all summer. I envy you.

This summer I chose not to attend any of stake conference. And I was a bad influence on dh, because we went out to dinner on our anniversary causing him to miss Sat. evening stake conference session.

NewLight

Post by NewLight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Tried various alcoholic beverages.
Quit attending church meetings completely.
Started drinking chai latte.
Tried coffee.
Quit reading scriptures.
Worked in the yard and did other inappropriate activities on Sundays.
Thought of Elder Bednar as an egotistical narcissist.
Thought of the rest of the senior leaders as corporate puppets.
Wore attire to dispel any myth that I might still be wearing garments.
Enjoyed iced tea after being outside on some hot days.

But hey, I still an technically a member of the LDS Church with a temple recommend that does not expire until the end of next month!

Nonny

Post by Nonny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Love chai!

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
On a hot summer day I stopped at a fast food place to get ice cream for the kids and ordered my first iced tea. It was so bad I threw it out, but it was hot outside so I drank my three-year old’s water he’d backwashed in. Truly, the punishment fit the crime.
I have tried to get into tea, but I just cant. Pepsi has too much of a hold on my heart.

Lady_Macbeth

Post by Lady_Macbeth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:39 am

First garment free summer has been nice and cool in tank tops - especially with first summer of Sunday hikes.

Although I've enjoyed iced coffee the last six years, this is the first summer I haven't had to hide it - sitting in the car to drink them, finding a garbage on the way home, popping mints, etc.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:10 am

Emower wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am
MerrieMiss wrote:
I have tried to get into tea, but I just cant. Pepsi has too much of a hold on my heart.
No worries, there are still plenty of devout, McConkie following believers who would question your LDS membership simply with caffeinated soft drinks.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:18 pm

Emower wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:07 am
MerrieMiss wrote:
It took me a very long time to come around to tea. I won't enumerate the steps that took years. I'll just say I completely understand your point of view.

Nowadays, I prefer tea to coffee. Tea is simple, unpretentious, undemanding. If coffee is yang, tea is yin. There's a saying that teacher's is the cure for just about any ill. I think it may be true.

My sins (only listing my favorites)?

Herbal tea isn't a sin, but has the appearance of evil:

Hot
Lemon Ginger with or without honey. Wonderful on a cold day. Wonderful on a cold day when I have a sore throat

Iced
Mint-steeped strong (double the bags, steeped twice as long, covered, sweeten to taste, cut with an equal amount of water, pour over ice) a favorite in the South. I would consider this the gateway iced tea.

Caffeinated

Hot
Chai tea latte-delicious! This is the gateway hot tea

Earl grey with steamed milk

Green (this one took me awhile and I didn't like it at all until I learned how to make it properly) water just simmering, steeped for 1-2 minutes. Drink soon. Green tea doesn't age well. Also, frankly sometimes green tea is more about how I feel after drinking it than the actual taste.

Iced
The Celestial Seasonings cold brew teas. I like the flavors that are a combination of black and some sort of fruit tea (not lemonade)

Also the fruit infused Teavana iced teas from Starbucks that cost way too much money
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

HighMaintenance

Post by HighMaintenance » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 pm

Not just for summer, but life in general. I've thrown enough empty Costco Spiced Rum bottles in the recycle bin to have made an awesome glass block wall with a cool sailing ship graphic on each block.

Maybe I'll start saving them to rebuild my greenhouse if I can find instructions on how to cut the neck off safely.
Somewhere on a toilet wall I read the words 'You form a line to formalize the former lies.' And I finally saw the truth - Slipknot

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 pm

HighMaintenance wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 pm
Not just for summer, but life in general. I've thrown enough empty Costco Spiced Rum bottles in the recycle bin to have made an awesome glass block wall with a cool sailing ship graphic on each block.

Maybe I'll start saving them to rebuild my greenhouse if I can find instructions on how to cut the neck off safely.
They sell rum at Costco? Oh I forget, I live in Utah.
~2bizE

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:33 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:34 pm
HighMaintenance wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:03 pm

They sell rum at Costco? Oh I forget, I live in Utah.
The adult beverage section of Costco gets a generous allotment of SQFT
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Korihor wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:23 pm
Mad Jax wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm
I removed the tag on a pillow that says "Do Not Remove Under Penalty Of Law."
Outer darkness has a special place reserved for you.
Probably next to people who scrape toast butter back into the container.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

redjay

Post by redjay » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am

First coffee ever, first alcoholic drink in over 20 years.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 pm

redjay wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am
First coffee ever, first alcoholic drink in over 20 years.
Redjay
I detest the tone of your comment. That sounds much more like bragging than a penitent, remorseful confession. :lol:
~2bizE

redjay

Post by redjay » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 pm

I'll maybe start bragging once I know how to pronounce the coffees in Starbuck's, apparently it's Mocka and not Moe-chah :oops:
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

foolmeonce

Post by foolmeonce » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:20 pm

I love this. Gives me a great excuse to come out of lurker mode.

1. I helped an employee of mine who lives in CA realize that the reason Mormons have been coming to her door asking for her daughter consistently for the past 15 years despite the fact that said daughter had moved out of state 15 years ago, is because she was secretly baptized.
2. Helped employee work with her daughter to resign.
3. Learned how to make a White Russian
4. Mowed the lawn with my shirt off (backyard only with closed gate. I live in Texas so it's normal, but let's just say I'll spare the neighborhood from seeing that).
5. Fell in love with iced tea on a hot day.
6. Came to appreciate a good blond beer.
7. Did wine tastings in Monterey, CA with DW
8. Work temple quotes into normal conversations with my unknowing kids (When they knock on the door, I'll say "What is wanted")
9. Cheered when I came to the realization that my 13 year old daughter can't remember who Nephi is and we've only been out for 2 years.
10. I have a holey garment t-shirt that has holes in the bottom that I still wear as an undershirt because it's comfortable and besides, I paid for it.
11. I've migrated spiritually from Christian to Agnostic, but am a member of a Christian church that I attend infrequently but support my families attendance.
12. Use light swear words occasionally in front of my kids to get points across.
13. Use heavy swear words casually to myself and around my wife because I can and it's funny.
14. I binge watched the office with my 13 and 11 year olds over the summer (fast forwarded the sex parts)
15. I watched the matrix with both of them as well.
16. I still have not formerly resigned, but am getting closer.
17. I have not given money to charity all year.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

tryingtogetitright

Post by tryingtogetitright » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm

How is enjoying post skin until you wake up a sin or violation of wearing your garments? Mormons are so uptight. I just cannot imagine Heavenly Parents thinking one has to do that to be square with Them. They want intimacy as part of a loving righteous relationship.

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 am

I have been praying to God sometimes...
If this is still going in a few weeks I'll add something else
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder