A real Christian

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
LostGirl

A real Christian

Post by LostGirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:25 pm

I don't think anyone has a monopoly on describing a real Christian but this spoke to me this morning.
Harry Emerson Fosdick once wrote: “Some Christians carry their religion on their backs. It is a packet of beliefs and practices which they must bear. At times it grows heavy and they would willingly lay it down, but that would mean a break with old traditions, so they shoulder it again. But real Christians do not carry their religion, their religion carries them. It is not weight; it is wings. It lifts them up, it sees them over hard places, it makes the universe seem friendly, life purposeful, hope real, sacrifice worthwhile. It sets them free from fear, futility, discouragement, and sin—the great enslavers of men’s souls. You can know a real Christian, when you see him, by his buoyancy”

(Twelve Tests of Character [1923], 87–88).
When a religion feels like a heavy burden that I carry so as not to break with tradition, is it the fault of the religion or am I just not doing it right?

MerrieMiss

Re: A real Christian

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Ah, but the catch is that if your religion doesn’t make you feel that way, it’s your fault and your deficiencies that are responsible. Remember – the church is perfect, not the people. (And that people includes you!)

Most people in the church will never admit that their religion is a heavy burden because they believe what I wrote above - if it's heavy it's because they are to blame. And they attribute every good feeling/experience they have to the church. They blame themselves for everything bad, and take no credit for anything good. Thus, they stagger on because they simply can't see the burden they carry.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:39 pm

LostGirl wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:25 pm
I don't think anyone has a monopoly on describing a real Christian but this spoke to me this morning.
Harry Emerson Fosdick once wrote: “Some Christians carry their religion on their backs. It is a packet of beliefs and practices which they must bear. At times it grows heavy and they would willingly lay it down, but that would mean a break with old traditions, so they shoulder it again. But real Christians do not carry their religion, their religion carries them. It is not weight; it is wings. It lifts them up, it sees them over hard places, it makes the universe seem friendly, life purposeful, hope real, sacrifice worthwhile. It sets them free from fear, futility, discouragement, and sin—the great enslavers of men’s souls. You can know a real Christian, when you see him, by his buoyancy”

(Twelve Tests of Character [1923], 87–88).
When a religion feels like a heavy burden that I carry so as not to break with tradition, is it the fault of the religion or am I just not doing it right?

The quote resonated with me, and I tend to blame a high demand religion with no respite in this life. Now is part of eternity, so any eternal peace and happiness must be possible now.

redjay

Post by redjay » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:12 am

just about the main reason i take as little to do with church as possible.

Tithe on surplus, get out of the bedroom, make the Word of Wisdom a Word of Wisdom (not a commandment), drop the black and white thinking.

I'd be quite happy hanging out with what is mostly a good bunch of people at church.

As it is I cannot recommend the life to non-member friends, or advise my children to follow it. It quite simply demands too much without giving enough back.

Also I refuse to the be church broke.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 am

I understand what he's getting at. I remember being in a state of complete faith where the religion wasn't so much thought about but felt. It provides hope, strength, courage, and a unconscious push to do good, at least it did for me. There are other side effects as well because it also made me less open, guilt stricken, and hold overwhelming feelings of inadequacy, fear, and self doubt.

At first, these strengths and weaknesses simply flipped like I had been turned upside down. But then something happens when you push more and more of the unconscious into thought, you begin feeling more complete, and can take the best from both worlds. Because when you flip the coin, you discover that you ARE both worlds.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Grace2Daisy

Post by Grace2Daisy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

I've always enjoyed a quote by Stephen Fry,
“The incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge.”

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 am

It parallels, 'If you find sacrament meeting boring, the fault lies with you not sacrament meeting.' a little too closely for me.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Would it be an insult to Christians to replace the word Christian in this quote with Buddhist? Muslim? Humanist? Humanitarian? Mormon? (Fosdick was a Baptist and likely not receptive to Mormons as true Christians) I like the sentiment but it does imply a sense of superiority for a specific segment of society.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm

There are various Billboards around town right now proclaiming "REAL Christians follow Jesus teachings."

Every time we pass one of those I say to the believers in my car, "Look there's a no true Scotsman fallacy."

Logic, Bible, and epistemology discussion ensues.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 am

dogbite wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm
There are various Billboards around town right now proclaiming "REAL Christians follow Jesus teachings."

Every time we pass one of those I say to the believers in my car, "Look there's a no true Scotsman fallacy."

Logic, Bible, and epistemology discussion ensues.
Yeah, I'd like to know just which teachings they're talking about. When I see it I always think something like: real Christians wouldn't waste money on a billboard berating "lesser" Christians. They'd use it to help someone in need.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:32 pm
Would it be an insult to Christians to replace the word Christian in this quote with Buddhist? Muslim? Humanist? Humanitarian? Mormon? (Fosdick was a Baptist and likely not receptive to Mormons as true Christians) I like the sentiment but it does imply a sense of superiority for a specific segment of society.
That's an interesting point. But I think his target audience was not only a little less cosmopolitan than our digitally interconnected world, but more of a sermon for the choir, so to speak. Intended for practicing Christians of the east coast protestant and generally American variety. Still, I'm willing to be given context by a more knowledgeable poster if that's not the case.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.